Remember me option for MBC users

dogloopa

dogloopa

Wondering if there are plans to add a remember me option for the MBC user login page. 

I like having my library accessible from outside of my network so I need to have passwords for my users. 

I love that there is a remember me option for mobile devices to login automatically. Really need to have one for the MBC login because

it's a real pain to type in the password using the remote every time I launch MBC. 

Any plans on adding that feature? 

dogloopa

Of course I figure it out right after I post this. 

Under the config menu there is an option to log in current user instead of show user profile screen. 

That is exactly what I was looking for. 

Sorry for the erroneous post.

Keep up the great work. Really loving the upgrade from MB2 to MB3. 

And your Windows 8 and Android apps are working flawless for me. 

Thks. 

Tranquil

I still think it would make sense to implement a function you requested.

On my system we have two users (my grilfriend and me) which are using MBC. The user differs every time and yes, it's a pain to enter the pin every time.

It's also a security issue. As it is hard to enter a strong password using the remote control, we just use a short numeric password. If I can remind my passwords within MBC I would choose stronger ones.

To increase the security level, I disabled the option to show up the users on other devices then MBC but this is really easy to break. My mother often can see the user names on her Media Browser Android app, don't know why. 

The feature is already there so I don't understand what you are asking for (Tranquil)...

Koleckai Silvestri

The feature is already there so I don't understand what you are asking for (Tranquil)...

How do you turn it on? Having to log in every time it launches is annoying.

How do you turn it on? Having to log in every time it launches is annoying.

Very first config page ;)

537e04fe2d134_mbcautologin.png

Koleckai Silvestri

Should be a check box on the login screen. Such a simple feature should be easily discoverable.

Should be a check box on the login screen. Such a simple feature should be easily discoverable.

That would be mis-leading because this feature isn't a "Remember last user who logged on" feature.  It is designed differently from that on purpose - in a way that I think matches how more people use their HTPCs.

The way it is implemented in MBC is to automatically log on a specific user each time - not the last one.

This way, the machine (which is probably used in the context of one user profile most of the time) can always log on as the most used user and, the times when you need someone else, you can just switch.

With the remember last one type option the machine ends up logging on as the 20% user after that user logs in when, more than likely, you want it instead to go back to the 80% user.

Make sense?

Koleckai Silvestri

Well from my setup, each computer has its individual owner and that person has a corresponding MediaBrowser user. That is the user that would log in 100% of the time. However they won't necessarily be messing with settings in MBC. Heck, I have never messed with the settings in MBC before.

Anyway, it would be nice if this was consistent with 99% of the Windows applications out there.

Edited by Wayne Luke

Well from my setup, each computer has its individual owner and that person has a corresponding MediaBrowser user. That is the user that would log in 100% of the time. However they won't necessarily be messing with settings in MBC.

Yes but this system works in that scenario as well. :).

The "remember last" option really only works well in that scenario - where you have a device that is used 100% of the time by a single user.

The way MBC does it works much better for a shared device.

Consider the scenario with a "Family" user and then an "Adult" user.

With the "remember" method, if you log in as the adult user, you need to remember to turn off that option, or log back in as the family user when you are done.  Otherwise, the next time the kids log in.... bingo! (if you have teenage boys ;)).

With the way MBC does it, that will never happen and it also works for the 100% scenario.

• Like 1

dogloopa

I can see the appeal of a remember the password option on MBC. 

You can setup certain accounts so that the password is remembered and they just have to hit enter on their profile to login. 

This would work well so kids (and wives) don't need to enter their passwords using the remote every time. 

But it would allow you to keep passwords on all the accounts for external security and you could choose to not remember 

any passwords for admin type accounts. 

Maybe in a future release I could see that being an option. 

The right way to handle that IMO is to have different pw options for mobile clients. Which has been discussed.

• Like 1