Any alternatives to WMC for Win10?

EmbyShare

EmbyShare

I was trying to install: https://emby.media/emby-for-windows-media-center.html
I was using this guide to install Windows Media Center: https://www.howtogeek.com/258695/HOW-TO-INSTALL-WINDOWS-MEDIA-CENTER-ON-WINDOWS-10/

I can't get WMC to install on my Win10 machine for the life of me.

I tried the browser to use a web based version of Emby on Xbox 360, didn't seem to want to work.

Is there any plans to update more support for Windows 10 as WMC isn't supported by MS for Win10?

Mostly asking so I can keep a use for my Xbox 360 and not have to switch to another media center software that has more support for the 360 (won't mention names).

EmbyShare

this is more of a question about xbox 360 support.

Okay, is there any plans to add Xbox 360 support for Windows 10? And/or its own app?

EmbyShare

Your best bet is win 7 for emc.

Win7 isn't an option for me but if that is the only way to get Emby to work with all of my devices I'll have to find another service.

Thank you for clearing that up.

dansblackcat

The WMC extender on Xbox 360 is pretty terrible even when using W7.  I was bitterly disappointed with it when I finally got it up and running.

You could probably stream to the xbox with DLNA?

jachin99

I think extender performance depends a lot on your network setup. When I have my PC and Xbox wired on the same switch then the Xbox is almost identical to the PC.

Never say never but, honestly, I don't see us spending a lot of time on the 360 or WMC in the future.  It just isn't a smart way for us to apply resources anymore.

There are a ton of inexpensive streaming box options (like $40) that will perform better than a 360 as an extender and we do support most of those.

• 2 weeks later...
sleepy

I have used this auto installer for WMC on my Windows 10 PC several times with no issues.

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/discussion-patch-wmc-to-run-on-windows-10-final-possible-alternatives.61061/page-63

You need to be registered to see the files to download (currently at v12) then you should be good to go.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

jachin99

To be clear, the installers are still being updated with each version of win 10. Technodevotee on MDL and the green button has created the latest version for 1903. I still use win 7 but to each their own.

rechigo

To be clear, the installers are still being updated with each version of win 10. Technodevotee on MDL and the green button has created the latest version for 1903. I still use win 7 but to each their own.

Not sure about you, but I couldn't get plugins or extenders to work with the windows 10 builds

jachin99

I dont use wmc on windows ten. I posted that for anyone else that might need help getting it to work. MDL or the green button would be a better place to ask questions.