Playback loses subtitles | Win10 -> Roku TV

macv

Subtitles worked fine with other files but this 1 particular video does not display subtitles to Roku TV (2017 4K HDR model).

I can select the subtitle in the playback subtitle menu but it is not shown during playback.

I do see the subs in Windows playing locally with VLC.

5cf435deda3f8_Screenshot_1.png

The subs are built into the mkv.

Curious about the RCA.  Thanks.

ETA: I played the video through Emby in the browser on Windows and it also does not show the subtitles, so it's not related to Roku.

mediaInfo.txt

Edited by macv

Hi, are you looking for server logs?  I do not have a `%appdata%\Emby-Server\logs` folder and Windows Explorer can't find an "Emby-Server" folder.  Where else might they be? 

pwhodges

There's an easier way than finding the log directory.  You can select the logs on the server dashboard (near the bottom of the menu column), then right click and save the ones you want to copy.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Hi, are you looking for server logs?  I do not have a `%appdata%\Emby-Server\logs` folder and Windows Explorer can't find an "Emby-Server" folder.  Where else might they be? 

Dashboard Paths section tells you where your log folder is located, but yes you can open and save them via Dashboard-Logs also.

How are you attempting to enable the subtitles in the Roku app?

Can you try to just play the item. Once it plays press down on your Roku remote. The video player OSD will open. Look for the subtitle change icon (looks like a box with a little triangle on the edge) and click it. Then choose your subtitle this way.

When you try to choose on the Roku pre-play menu of the detail screen it *may* not work correctly. Especially if this is external subtitles it may not. We need to do some work in that area as I notice the same thing.

When choosing subtitles inside the video player this always works for me. Does this not work for you?

Also please use the Emby Beta of the Roku app to test with. This app has features/bug-fixes not pushed to the store version yet. Thanks. ^_^

Edited by speechles

Firstly, let me try to steer away from Roku because I was able to repro with Emby in Chrome (watching on the same machine as the server), no subtitles even though I selected the English sub. Having said that, I selected subs in the Roku app as you describe.  I have successfully played subs in other files in the Roku app, just not with this particular file with the MediaInfo output in the OP.

But if we can solve getting subtitles to show in Chrome, that should solve Roku (hopefully).

Attaching some logs here, please let me know if you're looking for a different log.

ffmpeg-remux-2faf2aa7-45d7-4bf7-9639-5db3b0a9ff95_1.txt

Anything useful in that log?

Is that ffmpeg log being sent to the Roku?

Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
  Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (dts (dca) -> mp3 (libmp3lame))
  Stream #0:2 -> #1:0 (subrip (srt) -> webvtt (native))

For WebVTT to work on the Roku we are not there yet.
When we start to fix captions on Roku for all these other types it will support them.
Those are two areas on Roku where subtitles may have problems at the moment.

We will work on making these problems disappear.

Happy2Play

Already stated the same happens in Chrome, but I wonder if the Chrome 74 issue could be a factor.  So a test in a different browser might be needed or adjusting the subtitle text size to circumvent the Chrome bug.

But unless this is a specific conditions media issue I can play subtitles in Chrome and Roku. 

Happy2Play

Is that ffmpeg log being sent to the Roku?

Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
  Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (dts (dca) -> mp3 (libmp3lame))
  Stream #0:2 -> #1:0 (subrip (srt) -> webvtt (native))

For WebVTT to work on the Roku we are not there yet.
When we start to fix captions on Roku for all these other types it will support them.
Those are two areas on Roku where subtitles may have problems at the moment.

We will work on making these problems disappear.

But the Roku would have a different playback method then lets say Chrome, correct?

But the Roku would have a different playback method then lets say Chrome, correct?

Yes. Chrome would play those WebVTT just fine.

It is the Roku that makes no mention of supporting those. It would be out-of-the-ordinary (read as impossible) for the server to just ignore what the Roku told it in capabilities and just willy-nilly converting to WebVTT for all captions then sending that as the defacto codec for captions. It would be chaos.

This is why I think that log must be from a Chrome playback attempt. When Chrome plays this file back it must be failing in the conversion to WebVTT from SRT. There must be some munging of something causing the captions to "break" and stop rendering. The captions are technically (finger quotes)"there" they (finger quotes)"exist". They just aren't capable of being rendered and becoming visible. Something in the translation from one format to another isn't correctly doing something.

Edited by speechles

Can you tell what's different about this particular subtitle?

(To recap, I have successfully been able to play subtitles on Roku on all my previous files before running into this one).

Edited by macv

I think that file earlier was from Roku.

Can you please reproduce and confirm?  I don't think that ffmpeg log could have been from Roku playback.