Live TV plays but fails

mhaider60

mhaider60

I have two Roku's that have the same problem but I sent the logs from my Roku 3. When trying to play live tv the channel will play for awhile but will eventually fail and the screen shows a "Retrieving" progress bar. When I sent the logs tonight, 05/31/2019 at 9:20 PM CST I was trying to watch channel KDLO OTA from an HD HomeRun Connect. The Emby user on the local server is mark. 

I installed the Emby server this past week on a Windows 10 box, it's an HP Z240 i7 with 16GB of RAM. My other Roku is a Premiere+ and I have the same problem with it. My main streaming device is an Nvidia Shield, no problems there so far. My networking is all hardwired cat5. I have an HD HomeRun Connect and Prime, the problem with the Roku's happens with both tuners.

I've been running Plex for a few years but have been frustrated lately that I can't watch an in progress recording so I was reading about Emby and decided to give it a try. So far I'm liking Emby and am happy I can watch an in progress recording, but I was able to watch live tv on my Roku's on Plex without any problems, so I'm hoping you can help me with this. 

Thanks!

Hi. That is the ffmpeg log.  Can we please see the Emby Server log from that exact same time?

Thanks.

Thanks.

The Roku player is reporting a random error with the video stream and the app is stopping normally and attempting to re-start but the re-start never actually completes.  Why the error is occurring I can't be sure - perhaps poor signal but I also don't know why re-starting it isn't working.

@@speechles we need to look at this logic because, while I see the app setting a new video url for the retry I don't see another playbackinfo call for it in the server log...

mhaider60

If there"s anything else you need from me to troubleshoot this I'd be happy to help. As far as the possible poor signal quality, everything else I use to play the channels doesn't seem to have a problem with it, but that's not saying there can't be glitches from time to time.

Thanks.

The Roku player is reporting a random error with the video stream and the app is stopping normally and attempting to re-start but the re-start never actually completes.  Why the error is occurring I can't be sure - perhaps poor signal but I also don't know why re-starting it isn't working.

@@speechles we need to look at this logic because, while I see the app setting a new video url for the retry I don't see another playbackinfo call for it in the server log...

The issue is the logic wants to fallback from directstream to transcode. Sometimes ffmpeg never actually starts back up correctly. You wont see the playback info call in the server log instead you should see an ffmpeg failure. I see these. 

Also sometimes when falling back from directstream to transcode it will call on a playback error dialog. Rather than suppressing the error and just moving along into fallback like normal. This is probably from the migration to full translations in any language. Now these messages will work properly that never could before. The ones in the baseplayer. Those dialogs are causing an issue with focus. I need to convert those to the slide-in messages from the right and then have it suppress them when falling back. For some reason the baseplayer dialog was broke before and never would work and somehow translating that message fixed it.. lol. 

I can look at how this flows and see where the problem is occuring. I have the same problem with 6 of the 12 channels I get on LiveTV off the Antenna here. Let me see what I can do there.

I also want to fix that issue with the detail screen "judder" and using the "stage curtain" effect to see if I can solve it that way.

Edited by speechles

tbIye0t.png

Okay. I got it fixed.

If the signal is so terrible that you cannot even begin to tune to the station it will throw this error you must dismiss. It also as you can see behind this throws the Video Player error that no streams were provided for playback. This lets you know it did try to play and at the same time gives you focus back and a way out. This should solve the issue when the stream is actually broken. I will submit changes to get this in.. Next will be squash any other LiveTV issues I find. :)

Reference: Fix #463: [LiveTV] ItemContentTask - fix stuck video player when stream is broken

Edited by speechles

mhaider60

Glad you found a fix. Since I'm new to Emby, when can I expect an updated app being available?

Thanks

Glad you found a fix. Since I'm new to Emby, when can I expect an updated app being available?

Thanks

Our very next update will include this fix. It will be included in the next Emby Beta of the Roku app released very very soon. After we test in the Beta and are sure it is good it will trickle down to the store version of the app. ^_^

Edited by speechles

mhaider60

Sounds great! I installed the beta app last night, but got the same results, that's when I decided to reach out to your support group. Thanks so much for the quick response!

mhaider60

Our very next update will include this fix. It will be included in the next Emby Beta of the Roku app released very very soon. After we test in the Beta and are sure it is good it will trickle down to the store version of the app. ^_^

When you update the beta does it automatically update on the Roku of I have the beta installed?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

When you update the beta does it automatically update on the Roku of I have the beta installed?

Yes.

The Roku will make one attempt every 24 hours to update all the apps and the firmware. When that is (what time it happens) depends on the last time you may have manually attempted to download updates. If you do so manually that sets the start of this 24 hour interval. So you can check right now on your Roku. Then know every 24 hours from that point it will update again. It does this to prevent a DDOS effect on their Roku delivery network. You can at any time change your update time and check manually for updates. If a firmware update is part of the updates the Roku will not auto-update firmware. It will ask your permission. Firmware updates must be applied and the Roku restarted. Application updates are done after firmware updates never as part of them. You must accept firmware updates to receive application updates.

Edited by speechles

mhaider60

The Roku will make one attempt every 24 hours to update all the apps and the firmware. When that is (what time it happens) depends on the last time you may have manually attempted to download updates. If you do so manually that sets the start of this 24 hour interval. So you can check right now on your Roku. Then know every 24 hours from that point it will update again. It does this to prevent a DDOS effect on their Roku delivery network. You can at any time change your update time and check manually for updates. If a firmware update is part of the updates the Roku will not auto-update firmware. It will ask your permission. Firmware updates must be applied and the Roku restarted. Application updates are done after firmware updates never as part of them. You must accept firmware updates to receive application updates.

Good to know, thanks. The Roku beta I have ends with 162, is there a newer one yet? I checked this morning but I'm at work now [emoji19]

.163 went out this afternoon.

There is a topic in the Roku testing forum that is updated with each new beta release.

Thanks.

mhaider60

Installed 163 beta, still having the problem. embyserver.txt

Update 06/05/2019 I tried it again this morning, something I noticed compared to the release version of the Roku app is that it fails to "Retrieving" much sooner now.

Edited by mhaider60

Installed 163 beta, still having the problem. attachicon.gifembyserver.txt

Update 06/05/2019 I tried it again this morning, something I noticed compared to the release version of the Roku app is that it fails to "Retrieving" much sooner now.

There was no changes made to the logic of the video player. The only change .163 made was when the server knows the stream is unplayable the app no longer gives the video player a playlist of the item. When the server knows the stream is unplayable the url is invalid the video player will receive in the playlist. Before the video player was being fed this invalid as the URL and it would hang the video player. This problem is now eliminated. An invalid stream url will not pass into the playlist anymore. An error will occur and behind it will be the video player error that no streams were provided for playback.

I can probably do something more since the video player can know the item is LiveTV that is playing. It can do fallback differently. I can make it understand that once there is an error never to stream copy. To always ever after fully transcode. That should solve the problem there. I will look into this part later today and put the other stuff on hold I was doing.

The real issue here is that ffmpeg has had an error. The server just closes the stream it does not have a way for the app to query what happened. So we then try to fallback. The issue can be the server spawns ffmpeg and ffmpeg dies right away or has an error and closes. The connection the server has to the Roku hangs. No data ever goes over the pipe. The connection remains stuck on the server/Roku until one or the other terminates.

@@Luke is there a way after ffmpeg errors that an API call could be made to read the last ffmpeg/video-playback error? If ffmpeg is throwing a fatal error on the file there is no way to know this. The Roku wants to fallback and then gets stuck because the errors on Roku are so vague. You cannot know when one is recoverable and when one isn't. This is why the problem only occurs for LiveTV with Roku is because I cannot talk to the server about why the last session failed. If I could this would be different. This is 100% signal quality issue. A transient situation where eventually the signal will become better and stable. But those brief moments of corruption/blank throw the Roku for a loop when direct streaming. It then tries to recover with full transcode but the signal is still poor so ffmpeg immediately fails. The Roku hangs at this point.. forever until the user intervenes.

If I knew this was LiveTV I can assume all http/header errors must mean the signal was poor I could pop a dialog to ask:

---

Playback Error

Try again with transcode or wait 5 seconds to try again with directstream?

[ try again transcode ]

[ try again in 5 seconds directstream ]

[ give up get me out of here ]

---

The wait a few seconds might allow whatever was block the signal/corrupt/damage it to pass and now the signal is stable. This might be how I tackle the problem to begin with. This might be the best foot forward. This would allow the user to stay in directstream without falling back to transcode for these issues. The 5 seconds might be good enough.

Also keep in mind at any time you can use the video player OSD and choose the gear/cog to open playback settings. Then choose Playback Correction. This will always cause LiveTV to start fully transcoding. All fallback after this point will always choose full video transcoding.

Edited by speechles

mhaider60

Also keep in mind at any time you can use the video player OSD and choose the gear/cog to open playback settings. Then choose Playback Correction. This will always cause LiveTV to start fully transcoding. All fallback after this point will always choose full video transcoding.

I have tried using the Playback Correction to transcode the LiveTV stream and it still eventually fails to Retrieving.

That has to be ffmpeg failing on the stream and then the Emby server keeps the connection going to the Roku waiting for ffmpeg but it long since left the building or it's still there just doing nothing. 

If you disable hardware transcoding this might stop happening. But who wants to do that? Raise your hands. No hands went up. Yeah.. Not an option to do that I understand.

We need to do more work in this area as far as Roku and LiveTV. There is some ghosts in the machine left to ghost bust. We do not have full control over the Roku video player. We just get events fed to us as it encounters them. Sometimes the video player just gets stuck and you never get events. The entire app is event based so without some feedback with events things just come to a stand still. We need to keep things rolling. I can dig into this today along with everything else and see exactly where the problem is. I too have this issue but mostly because my liveTV signal is just horrible. I will dig into the problem.

mhaider60

If there is anything else I can give you from my system please let me know, I'd be happy to help. The channel I have been testing this with is an OTA channel which happens to be the channel I like the best. I do have the HDHomeRun Prime and cablecard, the problem still happens with the cable channels and those do have a very good signal. My Nvidia Shield and a Chrome browser plays the OTA channel just fine, so my thinking is the channel is generally pretty good.

I really appreciate your quick response to this!

mhaider60

Not sure if this matters, but when the Roku fails a stream that channel stays active on the HDHomeRun, when I restart the Emby server then it let's the tuner go free.

Polyzp_emby

I too am experiencing this issue with roku. Latest emby beta. Was working fine for me not too long ago. Live tv will start fine, then stop after two seconds. I thought perhaps this was linked to the roku system update on june 5th?

Identical channel plays fine on fire stick 4k / emby theatre on windows 10.

Edited by Polyzp_emby