#101 denz OFFLINE  

denz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2171 posts
  • Local time: 02:54 PM
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 13 June 2019 - 01:18 AM

The delete button is the position it should have been from day one in all the other apps it is in the same location and no one complained there. I think users still do not realise you are still prompted do you want to delete even the default is on cancel it is in big bold letters.  

The previous location was ridicules that you had to click so many times to delete and that heavy users of pvr had to get a mobile phone to delete stuff that is crazy but that is what I had to resort too so I was ecstatic to learn the delete button was moved. 

#102 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 15024 posts
  • Local time: 06:54 AM
  • LocationKent, England.

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:27 AM

So people are for and against the DELETE button location.

So, this begs to have an option to display it where the user wants it, not where the dev deems it should be.

That then makes everyone happy :)
  • cayars and maegibbons like this

#103 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2958 posts
  • Local time: 01:54 AM

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:20 AM

So people are for and against the DELETE button location.

So, this begs to have an option to display it where the user wants it, not where the dev deems it should be.

That then makes everyone happy :)

That's the point I made a few posts back.

I also think this option should be SERVER based vs CLIENT based.  This way there is a super easy way for each admin to set this up for their system as a whole and be guaranteed it works the same in each and every clients for each and every user.

There would be no issue what-so-ever at this point as everything would be controlled via the server and changes could quickly be made from any default settings.  The defaults could be set to have the DELETE button right where it is at present with the default for each library turned off.

I personally like the idea brought up a few posts ago that all "deletes" are actually queued for admin approval of the delete.  That in itself would also help with accidental deletes for people who share logins and have people (kids, older people, techno dumb :) who click things without understanding what they are doing.

Edited by cayars, 13 June 2019 - 08:24 AM.

#104 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 47572 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:56 AM

I'm sorry but building a configuration interface for the placement of individual items on the screen of every app is simply way beyond any reasonable scope at this time.  The system would become so complex no one could use it and we certainly couldn't maintain it.

What if we were to move the button after watched and favorite in all apps?  Is that a reasonable compromise?  @denz @maegibbons

#105 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 15024 posts
  • LocationKent, England.

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:06 AM

I'm sorry but building a configuration interface for the placement of individual items on the screen of every app is simply way beyond any reasonable scope at this time.  The system would become so complex no one could use it and we certainly couldn't maintain it.

You do it now in the server, where you can move libraries up/down.

What if we were to move the button after watched and favourite in all apps?  Is that a reasonable compromise?  @denz @maegibbons

Would make more sense than being near the PLAY button.
  • cayars likes this

#106 denz OFFLINE  

denz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2171 posts
  • Local time: 02:54 PM
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:36 AM

That is not much better than were it was in the first place there will still be way too much clicking. Having delete that far is like having a play button there I use the delete button as much as I use play and all heavy users of pvr do.

If there wasn't enough protection I understand but the delete button has another prompt with the default being cancel then you can disable users from deleting, than you still have protection at file system protection, further still a feature that I didn't want is moving deleted items to the recycle bin how much more do you need. Talk about there being paranoia in this thread.

Tonight is for the first time that it was a pleasure to use Android Tv and my family is warming up to emby we are now about to start our fifth recording and I didn't have to get my phone or make deletions tomorrow on the phone. We can't wait for more improvements.

#107 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 47572 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:53 AM

You do it now in the server, where you can move libraries up/down.

And that interface is clumsy, difficult to maintain across the entire system and not in all the apps yet even because of how difficult it is to implement and maintain everywhere - not to mention have users understand.  We can't start trying to do that for the layout of every screen.  We'd rather spend our very limited development time on media features that almost everyone can benefit from.

#108 maegibbons OFFLINE  

maegibbons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2337 posts
  • LocationLutterworth, England, UK

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:10 AM

I have to say as a heavy DVR user the delete button is now in the correct position for my use case and DVR users in general.

Accidental deletion is pretty well catered for these days with prompts and the recycle bin.

Having said that if you decide to move it, I won't throw all my toys out the pram and run to plex!

Because of the feeling being shown I still believe it deserves an option of being where it currently is or in 3 dot menu. If you don't do that then some people will remain unhappy. Do it and everybody is satisfied.

Krs

Mark
  • CBers likes this

#109 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 15024 posts
  • LocationKent, England.

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:04 AM

We'd rather spend our very limited development time on media features that almost everyone can benefit from.

Like moving the DELETE button :rolleyes:

When is Channel Management coming ? That's what people are really wanting !
  • cayars likes this

#110 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 47572 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:43 AM

When is Channel Management coming ? That's what [heavy m3u tv users] are really wanting !

Edited your comment to be more correct :D.

We simply have had many things come up that affect the entire media system whereas the above only impacts a specific type of use.  So, we've had to keep putting it off in order to address the bigger items.  Still a major priority on the list.

#111 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 15024 posts
  • LocationKent, England.

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:55 AM

Edited your comment to be more correct :D.

We simply have had many things come up that affect the entire media system whereas the above only impacts a specific type of use.  So, we've had to keep putting it off in order to address the bigger items.  Still a major priority on the list.

I think most Live TV users want it, whether it's HDHomeRun, IPTV or any other type of tuner natively supported.

If things are being delayed due to issues elsewhere, a post about the reasons why, wouldn't go amiss from the Management :)

#112 TylerV76 OFFLINE  

TylerV76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 01:39 PM

That is not much better than were it was in the first place there will still be way too much clicking. Having delete that far is like having a play button there I use the delete button as much as I use play and all heavy users of pvr do.

If there wasn't enough protection I understand but the delete button has another prompt with the default being cancel then you can disable users from deleting, than you still have protection at file system protection, further still a feature that I didn't want is moving deleted items to the recycle bin how much more do you need. Talk about there being paranoia in this thread.

Tonight is for the first time that it was a pleasure to use Android Tv and my family is warming up to emby we are now about to start our fifth recording and I didn't have to get my phone or make deletions tomorrow on the phone. We can't wait for more improvements.

You realize not all of us use windows as a server right? So your "protection" does not exist for us. You also realize not all of us use separate libraries and have kids and non tech people in the home right, so that little "prompt" means squat to them. Ive watched it happen constantly when I had cable. People would watch something and out of habit hit delete. No way will I allow that with my personal media.  Also, since you are solely concerned with yourself and screw everyone else, the fire TV prompt is opposite of the Shield. Delete is where "Cancel" should be. 

So while your temper tantrum got what you wanted, it absolutely ruined a software I paid a lifetime subscription for and will not maintain or recommend moving forward. There are still issues that I have been waiting months for some resolve on that I have been willing to deal with but in no way will I go backwards with this software and have to disable a feature for it to be useful and safe for my files. 

Putting the button at the end is FAR better than where it is but still not where it should be imo. A button as destructive as delete should be somewhat hidden.

Do what you guys want with this, I made my mind up last night on how I was going to manage my files. Even though its not my preferred option, I don't have to worry about someone in my home deleting my media. This is the second time in as many months that I have watched one persons complaining bring about something that the majority were against.

• CBers and cayars like this

#113 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 47572 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:15 PM

This is the second time in as many months that I have watched one persons complaining bring about something that the majority were against.

I'm sorry but that statement simply isn't true on either count.

First, we are not reacting to "one person complaining".  We are correcting a long-standing inconsistency in this app (that happened to be pointed out by one person). 

Second, people who like something very rarely will chime in on a discussion like this.  It is usually only people with strong opinions against it that do.  but, in this thread, I count pretty much 50/50 for and against this positioning.  Given the natural negative bias towards responses, that leads me to believe the opposite of your statement about a majority but, at the very least, doesn't validate it.

The button position is the same in this app now as it has been for years in the other apps - with no one speaking out against it there either.

We are open to adjusting to feedback but we want to be consistent across the apps and we don't want to just react to the loudest opinions.  This is why I suggested a system-wide change as a compromise but some valid points were made against that as well.

#114 clarkss12 OFFLINE  

clarkss12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1157 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:38 PM

I think most Live TV users want it, whether it's HDHomeRun, IPTV or any other type of tuner natively supported.

If things are being delayed due to issues elsewhere, a post about the reasons why, wouldn't go amiss from the Management :)

Ummm, I don't....  I am an old foggie that is a data hoarder.  I keep most of my recordings, except Judge Judy or some of the news shows.  

#115 TylerV76 OFFLINE  

TylerV76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:53 PM

I'm sorry but that statement simply isn't true on either count.

First, we are not reacting to "one person complaining". We are correcting a long-standing inconsistency in this app (that happened to be pointed out by one person).

Second, people who like something very rarely will chime in on a discussion like this. It is usually only people with strong opinions against it that do. but, in this thread, I count pretty much 50/50 for and against this positioning. Given the natural negative bias towards responses, that leads me to believe the opposite of your statement about a majority but, at the very least, doesn't validate it.

The button position is the same in this app now as it has been for years in the other apps - with no one speaking out against it there either.

We are open to adjusting to feedback but we want to be consistent across the apps and we don't want to just react to the loudest opinions. This is why I suggested a system-wide change as a compromise but some valid points were made against that as well.

Every person who likes the button where it currently is has stated it should be an option except one person. I find it hard to believe it would be difficult to offer 2 placements of one button in the server admin page.

The same happened with “Trailers” a few weeks ago until everyone spoke up.

You have the most destructive button next to the most used button in the app. Those of us not using windows dont have the recycling bin to rely on (yet another feature the majority were against). On Fire TV you have the delete prompt backwards allowing for immediate deletion.

Im not willing to see how long it takes to start losing files. I have explained exactly why I am against the placement. At the end of the row would be much better and Im all for that compromise.

All Ive tried to explain is, changes that do not appear to be popular amongst the majority keep making their way to the surface and its always after one person raises enough of a fit about it. Maybe it’s coincidence but it sure dont look that way.

I cant force Emby to do what I would like and Im not going to keep explaining my reasoning. You have decisions to make that I may disagree with. I have to decide if I can accept or like those changes. This just happens to be one change that I cant get behind.
  • CBers and cayars like this

#116 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 15024 posts
  • LocationKent, England.

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:55 PM

People that use the ATV app, rarely use any other app, so wouldn't have seen the difference.

It was only when @denz pointed it out that you changed it, hence the "one person complaining" comment.
  • Spaceboy and TylerV76 like this

#117 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 47572 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:56 PM

Here is a prototype of our new options configuration after implementing all the requested options.

5d029c4b4b70c_oldcomputer.jpg

What do you guys think...?

;)

• denz and clarkss12 like this

#118 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 15024 posts
  • LocationKent, England.

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:57 PM

Here is a prototype of our new options configuration after implementing all the requested options.

5d029c4b4b70c_oldcomputer.jpg

What do you guys think...?

;)

Is that Luke front and centre, and you on the right timing him :D
  • denz likes this

#119 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 47572 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:59 PM

Is that Luke front and centre, and you on the right timing him :D

Luke is the machine... ;)

• FrostByte, denz and neik like this

#120 clarkss12 OFFLINE  

clarkss12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1157 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:32 PM

Been years since I last used my Dish Network DTVPal DVR, so I forgot what the delete button (if any) looked like.  Here is a video showing how to delete a recording from a REAL DVR....  My DTVPal, died, so I can't compare Emby's delete method and a real DVR machine's delete method.  I also only have OTA TV, so no cable or satellite DVR to compare.

https://www.youtube....h?v=7cGgw4x23uc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users