Playback Issue with 4K HEVC File

sugarat

sugarat

Hi there, 

I am experiencing a playback issue with Emby and I hope someone is able to help.

I do not experience playback issues with this file in the web browser on a PC, but when playing via the Emby app on my LG WebOS Smart TV, the playback stutters every few seconds and is thus unwatchable.   To see if the TV itself is decoding the file correctly, I copied it onto a hard disk, and the TV does indeed play it back perfectly when reading directly off a USB connected drive. 

• The Emby server version is 4.1.1.0
  • Client is Emby Theater app on the WebOS Smart TV
  • No wireless networks are involved, everything is wired in

I attached the logfile for when I just tried to playback the file M:\Video\Films - 4K\Oblivion (2013)\Oblivion.2013.UltraHD.BluRay.2160p.HEVC.BT2020.DTS-HD MA 7.1-HDL.mkv.

Hope someone is able to assist.

Many thanks!

Guest asrequested

You'll need to post your server logs, but I suspect it's transcoding because it's HDR10 and/or because of the audio.

hi there, please try lowering the in-app quality setting to force it to transcode to a lower bitrate. Please see if that helps. Thanks.

sugarat

Hmm, I just played the file again, but it doesn't seem to be producing an ffmpeg log.  Is this because it's just streaming it direct and not transcoding?   Here's a hardware log in case that helps?

I just tested the network, but it's definitely running at a gigabit over the cable, so no problems bandwidth wise.

Thanks very much.

hardware_detect.log

• 2 weeks later...

Can you try lowering the in-app quality setting from the LG app? This will force the server to transcode the video. The lower bitrate may allow it to play better, assuming your server can handle the transcoding. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

sugarat

Hi Luke.  I just tried that and the result seems to be the same, although could be for different reasons?  When I select a different quality, the CPU ramps to 100% on the server (it's normally doing nothing due to direct play), but the video still freezes as it did before, albeit with reduced quality.   I'm not sure if this is due to the same issue, or because the server cannot transcode quick enough. 

I just had another idea, maybe there is somewhere limited network bandwidth, so I copied the file to the internal SSD on the Emby server.  The only network traffic then will be the stream direct to the TV.  Alas, exactly the same result.  It does not play without the freezing.  The file plays fine from USB on the TV, so Emby seems to have trouble direct streaming it to the TV.

EDIT:  Furthermore, I have just spun up a CentOS VM and ran Emby on that.  The result is the same.

Many thanks

Edited by sugarat

Can you try playing a lower bitrate video, for example, something that is 1080p or less? thanks.

I had a similar issue and resolved it. The problem was DTS-HD was the default audio track. Changing it to a lesser audio track resolved this for numerous files. Not sure if that's your issue but pretty easy to test.

I had a similar issue and resolved it. The problem was DTS-HD was the default audio track. Changing it to a lesser audio track resolved this for numerous files. Not sure if that's your issue but pretty easy to test.

Thanks for the info !

sugarat

Can you try playing a lower bitrate video, for example, something that is 1080p or less? thanks.

Sure thing,  - all other videos on my Emby server play fine.  Now that I upgraded the display to 4K though, I am adding more 4K content.  It's this 4K video file that Emby is having problems with.  

This sounds to me like the data just can't get pushed across the network quickly enough. Can you try putting the TV on wifi instead of wired? Occasionally on some devices that will actually perform better. Thanks.