Set up Secure Connection w/Domain Name--Login Screen Loads SLOWLY

Rohanaj
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Rohanaj

I finally decided it was time to look into getting a secure connection with SSL certificate set up on my server, so I went through the steps of grabbing a domain name and a SSL certificate.  The name was easy and the certificate was alright, just a little slower to get because of my own stupidity.  After various attempts doing incorrect things between Emby settings and port forwarding, I got the .pfx file linked in Emby, the domain name listed, and all the ports set up correctly.

I went to test it by doing a complete new install of the Emby app on my android phone - entered my new HTTPS address in the path and 443 in the android port box, and it took me to the server's login page almost instantly, so I was super happy about that.  I then set up an Apple TV box on an external network to try that, and again it loaded up the login screen right away after putting the address in.

The oddity that I'm running into now is that I've also tested it in four different web browsers, both from two computers and an iPad on my local network as well as from two different computers off the network just to make sure, and came up with the following results in terms of how quickly the browsers would actually pull up the login page after entering the address in the browser bar:

- Safari = almost instantly, 1-2 seconds

- Chrome = 17-22 seconds

- Firefox = 20-23 seconds

- Internet Explorer = 22-26 seconds

If I use my straight IP address to get to my server from any of those computers, it's a 1-2 second load time no matter what browser I use.  I haven't had time to stream anything for a significant amount of time through the secure connection, so I don't know if streaming is affected or not yet - after a quick forum search, I did see a thread about reverse proxy potentially causing streaming issues, but I'm not running a reverse proxy at all.  Has anyone noticed problems with streaming when going through a domain name with SSL?

Anyway, after all that explanation, my real question about the login screen is whether others have seen it as a common thing for the login page to be pulled up so slowly when using a domain and SSL certificate to get to the server, especially with the major non-Apple browsers?

Thanks for any feedback.

• Solution

Hi there, have you tried using the browser debug console to see what resources are taking the longest to load?

• Like 1

Rohanaj

Hey Luke, thanks for mentioning that...turned out my domain name had conflicting redirects that I erroneously set when it first got set up, so it was eventually resolving and getting connected, but getting quite delayed.  Once I fixed that, it's been consistently pulling up quickly in every browser now.  Sorry about my stupidity on this one.