Jason'sEmby

Jason'sEmby

Logs for" kicked out of the channel when one closes" emailed

Edited by Jason'sEmby

Jason'sEmby

Roku buffer freeze direct stream local. emailed

Edited by Jason'sEmby

mu1DxX7.jpg

Also.. as far as direct stream or direct play you are at the mercy of throughput. There isn't anything really we can do here. The problem you have with it switch from direct stream to transcode is our fallback error recovery. This is it trying to "get back the stream" and play something rather than just rudely close the video player.

Without the fallback protection that is what would've happened. Instead of show you these error screens we just make it play. This is the magic we do. We just do whatever we need to make it play in the next play method. This is where the magic can break. We are the whim of ffmpeg. We are at the whim of hardware encoding. When these two do not play nice the Emby server may not terminate ffmpeg. The Roku app gets hung waiting for data. The socket never dropped. It just never got data.

Eventually it will time out but with LiveTV. It isn't really a screen. It is written differently and not actually done with any screens. It is actually a black rectangle with a series of other rectangles laid on top. Then we draw text on all that. Doing it with the standard Roku grid wouldn't allow breaking timeslots. All timeslots would have to be identical. With TV Grid guid this differs. So we must hand draw rectangles all over for liveTV. Because of that sometimes the lost focus doesn't return correctly from the video player. It will think you are on the homescreen but it is still open with a video player. This is because ffmpeg has hung on you.

After you press home on the Roku remote the server will notice the Roku isn't sending progress reports any longer for that session and terminate that ffmpeg process tied to it. These are indeed growing pains as Emby migrates to using hardware accelerated transcoding. We also need to do a better job within the Roku app to detect when the video player has hung and have a timer pull us out of it and close the stuck video player.

This is possible in the future. We are working together to solve these problems but right now is a bad time. It is Memorial Day in America to honor our fallen war heroes. It is also a 3 day weekend. I think @@ebr is out of town away. @@Luke himself is very busy handling it all in the absense. So please bear with us this week as we get back up to speed. Thanks. We are not ignore you it is just time to reflect with family this weekend and you too should be doing this.

I apologize things are not working correctly for you but please give us a few days to get you a proper reply. I can only give my own opinion. Not one really from the full Emby team. So please bear with us and spend time with your family. Thanks. :)

Edited by speechles

Jason'sEmby

Speechles I didn't expect you to reply today at all. Thank you so much and yes I totally agree with you just thought I would send the message to you and have you reply when you got back from the holiday weekend.

Speechles I didn't expect you to reply today at all. Thank you so much and yes I totally agree with you just thought I would send the message to you and have you reply when you got back from the holiday weekend.

It is all good. I am just trying to keep these posts from looking like we dropped the ball. I am busy on the Roku today making things better for users. Easier. More information with less clicks to get there.  So the poster grid screen on Roku is getting major love. You will like where this is going. It will address the problem of cut off titles all over the place in the app and make it easier for you to see what you need without having to click into a detail screen when you are on the poster grid. Once I am done with all that work to get things improved I will check into your issues and look for workarounds and full solutions.

It is delicate when making video player changes so I have to check with @@ebr on how to best approach this. Right now I notice he isn't reply to some posts I've made that directly influence the progress of the app. So I am making judgement calls right now and just doing what I feel is best. With video player changes I need Eric in on these. I need to wait until he pops back in before I can dive into those. 

Live TV is a premier feature and as such it is very important that this feature work and be hassle free. Having any hassles or issues is a problem. We know this. Stay tuned. :)

BillOatman

I am a hardware lightweight by comparison, 1 Roku and 1 Shield, 1 hdhomerun extend (2,streams) and 2 streams from a IPTV provider. :)

I have seen the issue where a stream times out, the Roku app hangs and the only way back is by pressing the home button.

I have not seen any pixelation on either device when on IPTV.  I see it sometimes when on the homerun.  I attribute that to OTA..  The Roku takes a little time to play a selected channel, but the shield is almost always pretty quick. for either source.

Jason'sEmby

I am a hardware lightweight by comparison, 1 Roku and 1 Shield, 1 hdhomerun extend (2,streams) and 2 streams from a IPTV provider. :)

I have seen the issue where a stream times out, the Roku app hangs and the only way back is by pressing the home button.

I have not seen any pixelation on either device when on IPTV. I see it sometimes when on the homerun. I attribute that to OTA.. The Roku takes a little time to play a selected channel, but the shield is almost always pretty quick. for either source.

Yeah once you get into the higher volume of live streams things start to get funky. I took my Nvidia Shield and forced transcode which caused all the Roku devices on my server to start losing audio LOL, it's goofy things like this that eventually once fixed emby will be perfect. You're hdhomerun extend probably alleviates any pixelation due to it having its own transcoder:)

Jason'sEmby

@@BillOatman This is what I personally use and pixelation used to be a problem with over-the-air for me but not anymore. The only time it happens now is in heavy storms or with emby at the moment. All my local channels are at 91% to 100% signal quality now:)

GE Pro Outdoor/Attic Mount Antenna, 70 Mile Range, VHF/UHF Channels

http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Pro-Outdoor-Attic-Mount-Antenna-70-Mile-Range-VHF-UHF-Channels-29884/557144300

Winegard LNA-200 Boost XT HDTV... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DQN3R9O?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

BillOatman

Yeah once you get into the higher volume of live streams things start to get funky. I took my Nvidia Shield and forced transcode which caused all the Roku devices on my server to start losing audio LOL, it's goofy things like this that eventually once fixed emby will be perfect. You're hdhomerun extend probably alleviates any pixelation due to it having its own transcoder:)

@@BillOatman This is what I personally use and pixelation used to be a problem with over-the-air for me but not anymore. The only time it happens now is in heavy storms or with emby at the moment. All my local channels are at 91% to 100% signal quality now:)

GE Pro Outdoor/Attic Mount Antenna, 70 Mile Range, VHF/UHF Channels

http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Pro-Outdoor-Attic-Mount-Antenna-70-Mile-Range-VHF-UHF-Channels-29884/557144300

Winegard LNA-200 Boost XT HDTV... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DQN3R9O?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Thanks.  I do have my Extend do the transcoding.  Plus my pixelation is definitely a self inflicted wound.  I have a nice antenna, but it sits in my basement near my Emby server, looking out of a egress window :)  It works surprisingly well, considering!

Since you have two different issues on two different devices, can you please open a new topic in the android tv section with your issue for that app? Then I can move this topic to the Roku section. It is much easier to separate them rather than combine multiple things into one. Thanks.

Jason'sEmby

Sound good @@Luke will do. I actually think I'm just going to go all roku's. As I seen audio issues Yesterday by trying to use a Nvidia shield with so many roku's on the system. But I will open a topic for it in the Nvidia Shield section:)

Jason'sEmby

Here's an update on the three buffer on the Roku when it first starts on any channel. This looks like it might be caused by the transcoder and it doesn't happen if someone's already watching the same channel on a different device. Maybe if there was a way to increase the initial buffer or somehow speed it up. Maybe having an option to disable direct stream will speed up the initial buffer as it looks like it tries to a direct stream before choosing to transcode while it's buffering on channel startup. With that being said if something like that was an option if we could have a direct stream for movies only option, my GPU would thank you lol. Hopefully that helps.

Edited by Jason'sEmby

Jason'sEmby

Last update for the night. So I had a catastrophic failure with eight people on. 3 watching a movie and the rest watching live TV. 3 movies transcoding caused my GPU to go to Max spikes every 30 to 60 seconds which caused crazy buffering and audio issues with live TV. This was due to the system turning off throttling and then turning it right back on within a few seconds. Not sure why it turns it off and then back on it would just keep everything really smooth if it kept it on all the time when having multiple movies playing. I know with Plex I was able to do 18 devices with no issue. That included watching movies. So ultimately had to remove movies option from emby and use emby only for live TV at the moment.

Edited by Jason'sEmby

BillOatman

To get Roku to work for me at all back when it was all I had, I needed to use handbrake to put the movies in a format that wouldn't require transcoding. That should take the burden off of the server if transcoding is the root cause of the problem.

This site has all kinds of information.

http://www.rokoding.com/guides.html

Edited by BillOatman

Jason'sEmby

Thank you for the info. That would be very time-consuming LOL. But it definitely is a solution. I wonder if it would still transcode because they're remote users and I have to lower their bitrate down to 6? But I'll give it a shot. I think the throttle option is probably an easy fix something screwy with a little bit of the coding which makes it turn off:)

Wish it was as simple as if and then coding, if live TV is transcoding then movies maintain 60-second buffer without turning off transcode throttle:)

Edited by Jason'sEmby

Jason'sEmby

Hi @@Luke and Emby team. Do you know if anybody got a chance to take a look into the throttle buffer problem, media player pixelation at 1080p over the air, or Roku initial multiple buffers? I know you guys are busy so it's no rush, I just want to get off of Plex completely:). I can't see supporting a company that doesn't acknowledge their customers(Plex). Have a great day!

Edited by Jason'sEmby

Jason'sEmby

I'm going to redirect the throttle question in a different post that has a similar problem:)