Live TV EPG Question?

orbeavhawk

orbeavhawk

Trying to decide between Emby or Plex, leaning toward Emby.   I will be using it with Nvidia Shield TV with IPVanish.  Want mainly for LIVE TV with my HDHomerun and Emby DVR and EPG....paying for Premium.

BUT I just watched a Emby Review done several months ago and reviewer said there were extra charges on top of Premium charge for the daily programming in the EPG but I believe he was told that would be 

done away with in a future Update.....sure hope so.  PLEASE tell me IF these extra [surprise] charges are still in effect or can will my monthly $4.99 cover it?   

TKS        PS - - - Will my using my VPN create any hassles?

samuelqwe

If you are located in the US, Canada or the UK the EPG is included with the Emby Premiere subscription. No need pay anything on top of the monthly fee.

A VPN may complicate remote access, but if Emby is used locally it shouldn’t cause any issues.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
tdiguy

Trying to decide between Emby or Plex, leaning toward Emby.   I will be using it with Nvidia Shield TV with IPVanish.  Want mainly for LIVE TV with my HDHomerun and Emby DVR and EPG....paying for Premium.

BUT I just watched a Emby Review done several months ago and reviewer said there were extra charges on top of Premium charge for the daily programming in the EPG but I believe he was told that would be 

done away with in a future Update.....sure hope so.  PLEASE tell me IF these extra [surprise] charges are still in effect or can will my monthly $4.99 cover it?   

As of i think 2 stable ( maybe 3 now.. ) builds ago emby in the USA now has gracenote as a free EPG provider, meaning you do not need to pay sperately for a epg / tv guide within emby. That review must have actually been several months ago bordering on half a year if i remember correctly. Really wish reviewers would state exactly which revision of software they are reviewing so that consumers can easily tell how relevant the review is.

BAlGaInTl

Others have pointed out that EPG data is now included for multiple geographic areas.

To answer your other question about your VPN.  So long as your server can reach Emby to validate the Premiere key, you will be fine. Many users here work from behind a VPN.