Vizio TV App

nagetech

Thanks for doing that. If that's what they say, then we'll submit the request again right now. Let's see what happens.

• Like 2

troyhough

I have no evidence to support this but my theory is someone is paying them to keep it off (Plex, Apple, etc). That or a "non-financial" agreement of some sort...

Edited by troyhough

13 hours ago, troyhough said:

I have no evidence to support this but my theory is someone is paying them to keep it off (Plex, Apple, etc). That or a "non-financial" agreement of some sort...

I don't think it is that nefarious but the reasons are probably financial.  Every single one of these marketplaces wants to make revenue and takes a (large) piece of any revenue an app may generate.  I think they just don't see enough opportunity for them to make money off of us but we will keep trying.

Sammy

And this is why I don't care if my TV has apps at all. As a matter of fact I only have one Samsung Tizen. The rest of my 11 TV's are all stupid and I'll keep it that way as long as I can!

• 2 weeks later...
troyhough
4 minutes ago, Sammy said:

If you think Vizio isn't swayed by money just take a look at this.. Seems a bad move on their part to me but it looks like they had to choose between Walmart and Amazon.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/vizio-will-remove-the-amazon-prime-video-button-from-its-remotes-per-walmarts-request/

BIG $$$$ goes a long ways....

appoli
20 hours ago, Sammy said:

If you think Vizio isn't swayed by money just take a look at this.. Seems a bad move on their part to me but it looks like they had to choose between Walmart and Amazon.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/vizio-will-remove-the-amazon-prime-video-button-from-its-remotes-per-walmarts-request/

I agree, from the beginning I figured that there most be something else at play here (e.g. a non-compete with Plex which would be a smart move for Plex to make, pushes people to their platform. If they have the money for some sort of licensing fee it could be seen as worth it if they are desperate enough/believe that the smart TV apps are a major source of users for them). 

As you (Emby) would be the developers there is little cost to Vizio to add you to their list of available apps. It increases the marketability of their devices and it’s on you to maintain the app - and changes to their SDK/etc that requires them to ‘do work’ so that developers can update their apps is already being done for the other apps on their platform.

Unless their platform is so convoluted that  they experience a very large number of tickets from developers with issues/questions (with the current, very limited, number of apps available), the TVs themselves don’t have the hardware specs/memory/etc necessary to be able to run certain apps and/or they are trying to keep that info quiet, or the employees involved are amazingly astoundingly lazy or have some sort of prejudice against Emby I see literally no other reason for why they would keep ignoring your requests...

(also making the existence of a non-compete like this one public knowledge would not benefit any of the involved parties in any way. It could alienate customers, provide precedent for various business practices, and would be a signal from Plex to Emby about how serious they are taking the competition - which could make things more difficult for Plex)

Edited by appoli
  • Like 1

There is actually another reason they could not allow us in their marketplace.  They may be concerned with having apps that their customers don't need or want so, each of you reaching out to them asking about Emby could also help the situation.

Thanks.

appoli
19 hours ago, ebr said:

There is actually another reason they could not allow us in their marketplace.  They may be concerned with having apps that their customers don't need or want so, each of you reaching out to them asking about Emby could also help the situation.

Thanks.

Fair enough & the fact that they have such a limited number of apps may add merit to one of the reasons previously mentioned...

I know I have sent them a message via twitter & pretty sure most other people who have posted on this thread have as well :)

On 8/4/2020 at 2:45 PM, Sammy said:

I despise those buttons. I would much prefer they just be colored, remappable buttons to whatever apps you want. It's the same on the Roku remote. The only app I use out of the four options is Netflix, and I use Emby far more. It would be nice to be able to map one of those buttons to Emby instead of having a worthless Vudu or Sling button that will never be touched.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

+1 for a Vizio app!

FWIW, I have access to 5 Vizio Smart TVs for testing purposes.

I will see what I can do to lean on Vizio as well...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I actually sent an email directly to the CEO of Vizio via LinkedIn InMail (so I >know< it was received) shortly after my last post.

I still have not received a response.

troyhough
Just now, CrowTC said:

I actually sent an email directly to the CEO of Vizio via LinkedIn InMail (so I >know< it was received) shortly after my last post.

I still have not received a response.

They are getting paid to not approve the Emby app. Change my Mind.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
Clay Grayson

Just got offline with their support and this is what they had to say: 

Got it. Your TV is one of our SmartCast TV models. As applications become available, they will be added automatically to your TV.

If an application is not available on your TV that means that the application's developer had not developed their application for your TV. Unfortunately, EMBY has not developed their application for many smart devices including your TV.

Hopefully, the application's developer will develop the app for your TV in the future. Your TV has Google's Cast technology built in so you can use Google Cast to send content to your TV from a phone, tablet, or computer. Here is a link that explains how to do that for apps that have not been developed for the TV by the application's developers. https://www.vizio.com/smartcast-how-to-cast

We have an app already that could be easily packaged for vizio. The problem is when we out the form on their developer website to apply, they never respond to us.

• Sad 1

troyhough
4 hours ago, Luke said:

We have an app already that could be easily packaged for vizio. The problem is when we out the form on their developer website to apply, they never respond to us.

Can you use different email address or phone numbers and try again?

troyhough
7 hours ago, cutty201 said:

I mean plex is on there - I can’t believe they wouldn’t allow emby as well. 

Could be getting paid to do so. Who knows.

• 3 months later...
clarkss12

I contacted Vizio from their Twitter support page, March 9, 2021, and here is there answer.  I just posted another comment asking why no one has contacted me.............

emby on vizio TV.jpg

• Like 1

We have developed an app. The issue is that when we try to contact them about being listed in their store, they don't respond.