Emby reset after Mac OS update

Ben1992

Ben1992

After updating mac os and restarting computer, emby loaded and prompted me to set up the server from scratch. All users and settings were gone etc. The only thing that stayed the same was the http address for inhome and remote access. After setting it up, had to delete old server and add new server to each device. Everything is working fine it was just inconvenient to have to set everything up again. Its never done this with previous mac os updates. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to backup emby user profiles settings etc to restore from if this happens again?

Hi there, I haven't heard of this before. What version of MacOS were you upgrading from?

• 2 weeks later...
M1tch

I saw this too today. Emby is giving me the 'welcome to' wizard.. I updated to 10.14.5 a few weeks back and rebooted at the time so not sure it is related to the mac os update.

After a bit of investigation I found all my settings, collections etc were still in /Users/myuser/emby-server but the "new" Emby server was pointing to /Users/myuser/.config/emby-server. Looks like a change on the Emby server side of things to use the .config folder?

Once I copied the contents across to the new location and restarted the server all was good again.

Edited by M1tch

hstamas

I saw this too today. Emby is giving me the 'welcome to' wizard.. I updated to 10.14.5 a few weeks back and rebooted at the time so not sure it is related to the mac os update.

After a bit of investigation I found all my settings, collections etc were still in /Users/myuser/emby-server but the "new" Emby server was pointing to /Users/myuser/.config/emby-server. Looks like a change on the Emby server side of things to use the .config folder?

Once I copied the contents across to the new location and restarted the server all was good again.

Im still on 10.13 and my Emby files have always been in the .config folder if that helps anyone.

• Like 1

M1tch

My first install of the Mac version was only a month or so ago. It would have been one of the early versions of server 4. Something I think.

Ben1992

Ya i was already on mac OS mojave then updated to 10.14.5 when this happened

Edited by Ben1992

Ben1992

Where are you looking this up at?

M1tch

Not sure what you mean ?

My ‘old’ server has an Emby-server folder in the user folder. This contains all config info etc.

The new one is a level deeper in ~/.config/Emby-server

.config is hidden by default but is usually used for this kind of thing. I noticed the path change on the server dashboard page which shows the path of logs etc.

Edit: in the go menu in finder you can type ‘ ~/.config/Emby-server’ and it will take you to that hidden location

Edited by M1tch
  • Like 1

M1tch

Im still on 10.13 and my Emby files have always been in the .config folder if that helps anyone.

Weird that mine weren’t - maybe a bug in the version I used which only appeared on a new install and not updates?

M1tch

Did you originally install Emby Server several years ago?

nope, never before on Mac - this was a fresh install of Mojave 10.14.4 and Version 4 something of Emby server.

I’ve had Emby in one form or another on windows since the very old MediaBrowser days and I brought the drives with the media across to the Mac. But that’s it

Ok then that's strange. To answer the earlier question, no, we have not changed the data path, and i haven't noticed this on my macbook, but I'll look into it and see what i can find. Thanks.

• 11 months later...
sundevil67

Anyone from this thread experience trouble transcoding .mkv files after restoring the correct directory location & fixing this problem?

• 2 years later...
ACGriffiths

Bumping this to give a big thanks to M1tch. 3 years later and this just happened to me on the latest (small) Mac update. This thread saved the day for me.

@M1tch 

• Thanks 1