Downloads failing to start

darkassassin07
Go to solution Solved by sze,

adampalmer

Hi guys. I purchased emby premium as I needed it to download media to my device.

Judging from this thread, downloading media hasn't worked in months. Unless this feature is going to be available in the next week or two, can I please get a refund so I can move to Plex? I love emby but downloading media to local device is a core essential feature feature for me, and emby won't be a workable solution without it. Thanks!

The SD card problem has persisted for several months but we are now finally actively working on it. The issue of the unsuccessful download message will be handled at the same time. We are building a custom download manager and hopefully next week we'll have something. Thanks.

adampalmer

Hi. I don't have an SD card in the device. I get the same problem whether I download internally or not and on both tablet and Google pixel phone.

Edited by adampalmer

Hi,

Samsung Galaxy S10 with latest OS. Download on Internal Memory works. Download on SDcard doesn't work. When do you fix that? A navigation bar where you can select the folder can help here. Please add that feature.

Thx

• 3 weeks later...
jakrigg

Ok thank you for the update. Looking forward to it.

Hey mate, if you are still having issues when trying the beta Luke linked above,  I recently had a similar problem with my android devices. Only way I could sort this was the remove the affected devices from the download and sync dashboard:-

post-319049-0-62591200-1566874123_thumb.png

and from the devices dashboard:-

post-319049-0-51730500-1566874127_thumb.png

All seemed to work ok then.

Cheers, jonny

notla49285

@@Luke, had a little play with the new version this morning.

First thing I did was delete my existing downloads by opening the Emby app, selecting My Downloads from the home screen, which brings up a list of downloaded files, multi-selected the files and hit delete. I got no confirmation, but it appears they were actually deleted (app didn't refresh though). However, the files were then automatically re-downloaded. After further testing, this seems to be because the option "Automatically download new content" is selected, so the solution to this is to open the download settings via the gear icon in the home screen or swipe the Emby menu across and navigate to My Downloads -> Manage, open the context menu (three dots) next to the relevant folder/series, then either:

• Delete - remove the entire folder/series
  • Edit - untick the "Automatically download new content" and save, then you can remove whichever specific files you want at a later date, or you can actually remove the items from that same Edit screen, same result

I then downloaded the same folder again, and the process does seem a lot smoother. Items were converted, at which point no notification was shown in Android but there is a conversion progress bar in My Downloads -> Manage. This isn't an issue for me personally but is something to bear in mind for others that see no confirmation (other than a toast/pop-up message) that a conversion/download process has been started. When each item had been converted fully, they were downloaded, at which point the Android "downloading" notification popped up and stayed there whilst the progress bar carried on (before, the notification would keep disappearing and re-appearing), then would display a separate "Download completed" notification, as seems to be the standard in Android (again, no problem with this), and the "downloading" notification disappears as it should.

I've been doing a lot of messing to test the above scenarios, and haven't had any problems, the process is a significant improvement. However, all of the above was tested on internal storage, switched to external and followed the same process, but closed the app (not force-close, hit back button to essentially minimise) halfway through the final download, and when I re-opened the app only 4 of the 5 files downloaded, opened Emby download manager and the folder was stuck on "Transferring 80.0%", but not actually doing anything, despite "Automatically download new content" set. I deleted the entire folder, changed back to internal storage, closed and re-opened, then tried to test this same thing again (downloading whole folder but interrupting halfway through), however this time the videos started to download as they should, but after the first was done the download status changed to "queued" and, confusingly, the download for the external storage appeared again. I now have two of the same folder in the download manager, both marked "queued", one has 3 items, one has 2 items (which also doesn't make sense). I presume one is internal and one is external.

So, for internal storage it seems almost bulletproof so far, but for external things seem to start getting a bit screwy still. To be honest, and comparing it to other apps that also struggle with this, it seems that Android is a complete pain in the arse when trying to deal with external storage. I don't know why it has to be so difficult, in earlier versions of Android it was almost completely flawless. I'm at work so don't have time to do any more testing at the moment, anyone else?

• Solution

Hi,

with your new version for Anfroid, the download function on my Android to an SD Card works fine. If you now fix https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/76374-question-about-audio-books/ this, I will buy a lifetime license. You work much quicker than p..x on bugs and your solution is really great. No performance problems and quick action.

Thats the way I like.

• Like 1

revengineer

Hi,

with your new version for Anfroid, the download function on my Android to an SD Card works fine. If you now fix https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/76374-question-about-audio-books/ this, I will buy a lifetime license. You work much quicker than p..x on bugs and your solution is really great. No performance problems and quick action.

Thats the way I like.

I am happy that you find this fix useful as we have been waiting for this for a long time. Beyond that, I am disgusted by by ex-plexers showing up here with demands and withholding needed support until their favorite bug is fixed or feature is implemented. I suggest that you pony up some support and get in line with your requests. If you were here for a while, you would know that there are bigger fish to fry than this issue. Sorry couldn't help it....

• Like 1

Hi,

I have no problem if someone expresses his opinion in a respectful tone. I also support emby as I have bought it at least for a month. I also think I will purchase the Lifetime license. With my post I just wanted to praise the good and fast support and express my wishes.

daedalus

you only think its fast cause you jumped in just the moment it was adressed/finished

this problem existed at least for half a year with no visable progress

Edited by daedalus

daedalus

I am happy that you find this fix useful as we have been waiting for this for a long time. Beyond that, I am disgusted by by ex-plexers showing up here with demands and withholding needed support until their favorite bug is fixed or feature is implemented. I suggest that you pony up some support and get in line with your requests. If you were here for a while, you would know that there are bigger fish to fry than this issue. Sorry couldn't help it....

it's not his fault that there is any need to get in line, he has the same problem, he's just "a bit late" and seems also pissed of the seemingly even worser situation on the other side of the bench

you also can't blame him that the habbit of kissing the feet of the new loud screamers while slapping the faces of the old longtime supporters found its way in

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
jonboyuk

Hi Guys,

I'm having trouble downloading to my Note 9 (on Pie) using the latest Beta of Emby.

It becomes queued on the server and doesn't go any further.

I've tried the suggestions above (ie removing the device and anything queued in the server side) but nothing works. I've also tried downloading to internal storage and external. 

Really annoying as I've just paid for premium for this reason (thought it might be resolved by now) :(

• 1 month later...
mastrmind11

Hey mate, if you are still having issues when trying the beta Luke linked above,  I recently had a similar problem with my android devices. Only way I could sort this was the remove the affected devices from the download and sync dashboard:-

attachicon.gif2.png

and from the devices dashboard:-

attachicon.gif1.png

All seemed to work ok then.

Cheers, jonny

Latest version of Emby, I was unable to download anything to my android device.  The items would get converted properly but would ot transfer.  Strangely enough there were no errors in the log.  Removing the device from the device list cleared everything up.

• 1 year later...
HansWurst

Hi there!

Same here. Device: Galaxy Tab S5e (Android 11), external SD-Card, latest version of the app from Android-Play-Store. Download doesn't start.

Is there a workaround, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

24 minutes ago, HansWurst said:

Hi there!

Same here. Device: Galaxy Tab S5e (Android 11), external SD-Card, latest version of the app from Android-Play-Store. Download doesn't start.

Is there a workaround, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Hi, Instead of continuing a year old thread could you start a new thread?