Can't use trailers on my apple tv

djsix2

• 4 months later...
gene0915

I just noticed this myself. On my Android 4K Smart TV, the Emby app gives me the option to play the trailer for movies. Switched over to my Apple TV and no trailer option. Luke, I saw you mentioned something about not legally being able to download them but why does the Android app support it? (Pulling from a different source?)

22 hours ago, gene0915 said:

I just noticed this myself. On my Android 4K Smart TV, the Emby app gives me the option to play the trailer for movies. Switched over to my Apple TV and no trailer option. Luke, I saw you mentioned something about not legally being able to download them but why does the Android app support it? (Pulling from a different source?)

Hi there, where are you looking for it?

gene0915
21 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, where are you looking for it?

I just clicked on 'Movies' and picked a random one. I see the 'Trailers' button when viewing from the Android app:

image.png.1de5a4811bd2ea0f98e74071e63bae82.png

And no trailers when using the Apple TV app (lacks the refresh metadata button as well):

image.png.bb4110a53fd9c8563603a050d764cd73.png

Here it is at my ATV 4k with the latest version of emby.  It works like this since October 2021.

IMG20220131194914.jpg

Edited by Mi.K

gene0915

My Apple TV was using 1.5.3 of the Emby app. I went into Test Flight and saw 1.5.7 so I installed that and I now get trailers! BUT................. when I launch a movie trailer, YouTube carries out the heavy lifting and once the trailer is over (or if I stop it) and press the back button, I get dumped into the YouTube app and it doesn't return me to Emby. Is that normal? Doesn't behave like that in the Android app.

So, I uninstalled 1.5.7 and went back to the normal Emby Apple TV app and it's still showing 1.5.7. Weird but eh. Just curious to see why I'm not being dumped back into Emby after a trailer plays.

On 1/31/2022 at 6:41 PM, gene0915 said:

Just curious to see why I'm not being dumped back into Emby after a trailer plays.

Because unfortunately there's just no way to do that. We'll keep re-evaluating this to see if there are better and legal ways to play YouTube content on Apple TV, but right now the only way is by sending you into the YouTube app, at which point we no longer have any control.