Migrate to Win10

Sammy

Sammy

Okay, so I've been holding on to Win7x64 Pro for WMC but in the last year I've fully moved to Emby and have sold all my Echo Extenders and now use ShieldTV at all TV's except my two 2017 Tizens..

At any rate, I'm looking for a good way to migrate my system without having to do a complete installation on it while preserving things like RDP and some of the other pieces I use every day.

I know at work they rolled a new image to go from Win7 to Win10, saving user settings and programs etc.

How do I do that? Any suggestions? Good links to other guide?

TIA

• Like 1

CBers

If you do an upgrade from 7 to 10, then your files will stay in place.

Personally, I'd back up anything you want to keep and do a clean install of W10 instead, then put your files back.

As I said, just my opinion :)

• Like 2

Sammy

If you do an upgrade from 7 to 10, then your files will stay in place.

Personally, I'd back up anything you want to keep and do a clean install of W10 instead, then put your files back.

As I said, just my opinion :)

More specifically, how to backup and restore my emby server maintaining all users, recording schedules and watched statuses?

Also this computer has 4 hard drives striped with DrivePool. How to backup and restore that?

How to backup and restore MCE buddy?

While we're at it, my other PC runs BlueIris, nzbGet, Radarr, Sonarr, Lidarr and xTeVe. How to backup and restore all that?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

CBers

More specifically, how to backup and restore my emby server maintaining all users, recording schedules and watched statuses?

I use the Backup and Restore plugin when I move Emby around, but not sure it backs up everything, so

you could take a copy of the \Emby-Server folder and copy it back after you have re-installed Emby.

Also this computer has 4 hard drives striped with DrivePool. How to backup and restore that?

Once you re-install DrivePool, it should detect the drives and re-create the pool.

I use DriveBender and that does.

How to backup and restore MCE buddy?

Not sure about that, but there are MCEBuddy on these forums -@ ?

While we're at it, my other PC runs BlueIris, nzbGet, Radarr, Sonarr, Lidarr and xTeVe. How to backup and restore all that?

Yes, I run the same.

Stop the service and copy the "service" folder to a separate place and then copy back after the W10 install and the service install.

BlueIris is really easy - http://blueirissoftware.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1130&p=1414#p1414

• Like 1

lightsout

A lot of those apps have their own method of backing up settings. Sounds like you might have to do research for each one. As far as all those downloading apps.

I did this a year or two ago and just figured out which apps we're most important and backed them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sammy
I use the Backup and Restore plugin when I move Emby around, but not sure it backs up everything, so

you could take a copy of the \Emby-Server folder and copy it back after you have re-installed Emby.

Will do. I'll probably test it out before wiping it out!

Once you re-install DrivePool, it should detect the drives and re-create the pool.

I'll look at their website / forum and see.

Not sure about that, but there are MCEBuddy on these forums -@ ?

Same here, I'll take a look at their forum.

Yes, I run the same.

Stop the service and copy the "service" folder to a separate place and then copy back after the W10 install and the service install.

Where do I find the "service" folder??

I didn't know you ran this one too but cool. I love BlueIris! I'll take a look at that post too.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Personally I'd backup the app directories and try a test restore to another computer (or VM) to make sure you know things will work correctly during your "app restore".

Emby, DrivePool, MCEBuddy, xTeVe are super easy to migrate.  I don't use the other apps, so I can't comment.

PS I'd do a new install vs a windows update myself to get a clean start.  If using HW transcoding make sure you know what device drivers to install after windows is installed.

Guest asrequested

I agree, a clean installation of Windows 10 would be better. I periodically wipe my system and rebuild. Clear out all the bugs. All things that need backing up are routinely backed up. So it's wipe, re-install, apply backup, done.

Sammy

Clean install it will be.. Now to start getting all my back ups in order.. ASFIK I have each of these on automatic back up but they all run so well I've never had to do a restore..

Sammy

Good Lord..

My Win7 installation has been running on one machine since 2010 and the other since 2011.

Both have been moved forward onto new hardware twice and on new SSD's a few times now. Same installation running for 9 years on one machine and 8 years on the other. Can you see another reason why I've been reluctant to change to Win10?

• Like 1

lightsout

Good Lord..

My Win7 installation has been running on one machine since 2010 and the other since 2011.

Both have been moved forward onto new hardware twice and on new SSD's a few times now. Same installation running for 9 years on one machine and 8 years on the other. Can you see another reason why I've been reluctant to change to Win10?

Bro, that is crazy. Wipe those bad boys and start over!!!

Sammy

Bro, that is crazy. Wipe those bad boys and start over!!!

If it ain't broke don't fix it..

Or is it

If it ain't broke fix it until it is.

???

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2