CEC Adapter -Emby Theater

Steverido

Steverido

His Guys,

I am in the process of migrating from Emby for Windows Media Center. To do this I will upgrade my HTPC to Windows 10.

I recall that you need to install a CEC Adapter. Does anyone know if the Logitech Harmony ultimate remote will add the adapter? I know Amazon Fire is a CEC Adapter and that it sees that.

Don’t want to spend £40 if it is not going to work.

How does a CEC Adapter start Emby theater?

Edited by Steverido

Guest asrequested

If you're using a Harmony Ultimate, why use CEC? Don't you have a hub? I have a hub paired by Bluetooth to the PC and it's perfect.

Steverido

If you're using a Harmony Ultimate, why use CEC? Don't you have a hub? I have a hub paired by Bluetooth to the PC and it's perfect.

I do have a hub. How do you set it up to start Emby Theater?

The CEC adapter doesn't start Emby Theater, but rather, it allows you to control the app with an HDMI-CEC remote, such as your TV remote. If you have a universal remote such as Harmony then you probably do not need it.

Guest asrequested

I do have a hub. How do you set it up to start Emby Theater?

If you place the Theater shortcut on the taskbar in positions 1,2 or 3, you can map a button to launch it. There is an issue that theater puts another one on the taskbar, when open. So I would suggest having only theater on the taskbar, so it's in position one. Then when launched, it will run in position 2. This is useful if Theater loses focus or if you want close it with the remote, because you just map those buttons to position 2. It sounds more complicated than it is.

Steverido

If you place the Theater shortcut on the taskbar in positions 1,2 or 3, you can map a button to launch it. There is an issue that theater puts another one on the taskbar, when open. So I would suggest having only theater on the taskbar, so it's in position one. Then when launched, it will run in position 2. This is useful if Theater loses focus or if you want close it with the remote, because you just map those buttons to position 2. It sounds more complicated than it is.

I see that Win+1 is the shortcut. I have added Microsoft MCE SE to harmony remote and mapped to the green button but it does not open Theater. Neither does the shortcut in the display.

Spaceboy

I see that Win+1 is the shortcut. I have added Microsoft MCE SE to harmony remote and mapped to the green button but it does not open Theater. Neither does the shortcut in the display.

i used to do this. It’s quite unreliable due to things moving around on the task bar and just not working as expected. Ultimately it’s another reason why appliance devices such as the shield are so much better

Steverido

i used to do this. It’s quite unreliable due to things moving around on the task bar and just not working as expected. Ultimately it’s another reason why appliance devices such as the shield are so much better

I have only just bought a dedicated HTPC for this though. I want to move away from Emby for Windows Media Center because it is slowly losing support.

hstamas

Try loading just the generic "Windows PC" as  your device and choose "1st pinned application" as your button shortcut. Works 100% reliably for my Harmony/Windows 10 setup.

Steverido

Try loading just the generic "Windows PC" as your device and choose "1st pinned application" as your button shortcut. Works 100% reliably for my Harmony/Windows 10 setup.

Tried that too. Tried numerous times now. It adds it as Harmony Keyboard and in the Harmony software it is Windows PC. Paired it and restarted the PC but still does not open up Theater.

Noticed that the remote is still stating that it requires pairing even though Windows states that it is.

Edited by Steverido

Guest asrequested

That's the wrong way. You just add a Windows PC, and map a button to position one on the taskbar. Don't use anything related to mce.

hstamas

Tried that too. Tried numerous times now. It adds it as Harmony Keyboard and in the Harmony software it is Windows PC. Paired it and restarted the PC but still does not open up Theater.

Noticed that the remote is still stating that it requires pairing even though Windows states that it is.

Yeah Harmony blue tooth pairing can be a major PIA at times. I bet thats your issue. can you control any other aspect of your PC via Harmony/bluetooth?

Steverido

That's the wrong way. You just add a Windows PC, and map a button to position one on the taskbar. Don't use anything related to mce.

I have tried that and it does not work. Spent the whole day playing with it.

Steverido

Yeah Harmony blue tooth pairing can be a major PIA at times. I bet thats your issue. can you control any other aspect of your PC via Harmony/bluetooth?

I have never got anything to work via Bluetooth. The green light flashes when I press a button but nothing appears to work.

I have an IR which allowed me to control Emby for Windows Media Center with the oRtek VRC-1100.

Run out of ideas now.

Guest asrequested

It sounds like the pairing isn't complete. Are you trying to pair the hub through the harmony app? That thing is a piece of crap. I just go directly through windows. I just open the windows Bluetooth page, look for new devices, then press the button on the hub and do what windows tells me. Very quick and easy, works every time. And I'm assuming that the remote is correctly paired with the hub?

Steverido

It sounds like the pairing isn't complete. Are you trying to pair the hub through the harmony app? That thing is a piece of crap. I just go directly through windows. I just open the windows Bluetooth page, look for new devices, then press the button on the hub and do what windows tells me. Very quick and easy, works every time. And I'm assuming that the remote is correctly paired with the hub?

What do you see when you scan to add a Bluetooth device? I only get unknown or Harmony Keyboard. Added Harmony Keyboard but it always states that the driver is unavailable.

I understand what is happening now although I don't have a solution. When Windows finds the Harmony Keyboard, it does not ask for the pin when it adds it and I think this is why it does not complete the pairing.

Edited by Steverido

Guest asrequested

I don't recall the exact process. I haven't paired one in a while. If I remember, I'll take a look when I get home, tonight.

• Like 1

Steverido

I don't recall the exact process. I haven't paired one in a while. If I remember, I'll take a look when I get home, tonight.

I have finally done it. I had to do it within the Harmony app. To complete pairing, I had to delete the devices in the app on my iPad and go through the process of adding a computer, Windows etc. I followed it through and the last thing it did was pair it with the PC.

Link here to Logitech help.

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/harmony-experience-with-windows

Thank you all for your help.

Edited by Steverido

Guest asrequested

Excellent! Glad you got it working. It sounds like the sequence of adding the device(s) then pairing the hub was a little out of step. I used the desktop app to add devices and configure everything, and paired the hub as the final step.