Transcoding temp drive - to SSD or to not ssd

Jdiesel

Jdiesel

Are the benefits of using a SSD for the transcoding temp folder worth the impact on SSD drive endurance?

Jdiesel

The warranty on my 1TB MX500 is good for 360TB written. I assume it could easily last double if not more than that meaning I could watch my entire library with transcoding multiple times and not reach that limit.

Not to mention with the way SSD prices are falling I wouldn't be surprised to see prices cut in half in two years time.

CBers

NVMe drives are something else to consider.

If your MB has a slot for them.

Guest asrequested

If your MB has a slot for them.

Correct. But I suspect that jdiesel's board is modern enough, that it does.

Spaceboy

I use a old 240gb ssd for my transcoding directory. Works well. I haven’t had to manually empty it and there’s about 2gb of temp files on it at present

CBers

I use a old 240gb ssd for my transcoding directory. Works well. I haven’t had to manually empty it and there’s about 2gb of temp files on it at present

Is that separate to the SSD you use as a landing zone disk in DriveBender?

Spaceboy

Is that separate to the SSD you use as a landing zone disk in DriveBender?

it is, it’s my old os disk. Using a nvme drive for the DB landing zone
  • Like 1

Jdiesel

Correct. But I suspect that jdiesel's board is modern enough, that it does.

It is but it wasn't until after I purchased it that I realized my MSI board disabled some of the sata ports when a m.2 drive was attached. Unfortunately I need all the sata ports I can get my hands on for mechanical storage drives so I ended up going with a sata III 2.5" SSD instead. 

Edited by Jdiesel
  • Like 1

Guest asrequested

It is but it wasn't until after I purchased it that I realized my MSI board disabled some of the sata ports when a m.2 drive was attached. Unfortunately I need all the sata ports I can get my hands on for mechanical storage drives so I ended up going with a sata III 2.5" SSD instead.

Ah, yes, that is a consideration. Intel boards/CPUs don't have a lot channels, and if you need those SATA ports, it's a problem. This is another advantage of the Ryzen hardware. My threadripper baord/CPU has 64 channels, and 8 SATA ports. On my Intel machines, I don't require all of the SATA ports, so I can use an M.2. That said, one of my Gigabyte Intel baords has an M.2 NVMe SSD without disabling any SATA ports.

Guest asrequested

Do you see a real difference in performance compared to an HDD?

That'll vary by use case. Example: if you use a mechanical drive that turns off, then it has to spin up. Which may cause a hiccup.

The main reason I used a separate transcode drive, was to limit wear on my primary drive, and to always have enough space. And I chose the drive I have, because yes it's an SSD, but it's a stick that attaches to the motherboard, doesn't take up space and doesn't use cables. It was simply the best option available to me.

• Like 1

Thuzad

That'll vary by use case. Example: if you use a mechanical drive that turns off, then it has to spin up. Which may cause a hiccup.

The main reason I used a separate transcode drive, was to limit wear on my primary drive, and to always have enough space. And I chose the drive I have, because yes it's an SSD, but it's a stick that attaches to the motherboard, doesn't take up space and doesn't use cables. It was simply the best option available to me.

Thank you for the return, actually I have a SSD plugged into USB because I have more cable available.

It was used to deport these files that change often to make a full backup of my LXD container.

I will see to put it on a sata drive.

Edited by Floflobel

Guest asrequested

Thank you for the return, actually I have a SSD plugged into USB because I have more cable available.

It was used to deport these files that change often to make a full backup of my LXD container.

I will see to put it on a sata drive.

A USB port may cause a bottle neck, depending on how many files are being transcoded.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

Do you see a real difference in performance compared to an HDD?

honestly, I can’t say that I can see much difference, just had a spare ssd in the pc once I’d moved my os off it so I thought I would try it

Jason'sEmby

I definitely recommend a solid state drive for your transcoding. I have about 20 live TV streams going at one time. Not perfect yet but I'm working with awesome employees to get there.