Best Viewing App for MKV

ErikaJ

PenkethBoy

Hi CBers.

Its been ages since I used it, but I believe it could not edit titles on its own and required a companion software to rename/remove embedded title/metadata, and it was counter intuitive to use (just my experience).

That's 2 extra programs needed to do (on MKV) what good old user friendly MS Explorer can do on its own (with MP4).

In the end, for my very specific needs, I'd rather do a couple of clicks of the mouse then 50-ish to achieve the same end result.

Mp3Tag - can add titles and other tags to MP4 and MKV files very easily - e.g. you can copy the filename to the Title in one operation for all files selected

MKVToolNix can do the same for mkv and is easy to do as a batch file in a similar way to MP3Tag - interface is kind of unique but once you get the drop on it easy to use

FWIW - i am just finishing up converting all my movies and TV episodes to MKV as well as converting to H265/x265

One limitation of MP4 is on the subtitles PGS etc which are not supported - although external subs solves this - MKV is the future, MP4 is the past

• Like 2

Guest asrequested

As others have said, MKV format is the most common format these days, possibly encoded with h265 where possible.

Also, IMO, the Android TV on an Nvidia Shield is hard to beat, although @ will disagree :D

Why would I disagree? As far as these boxes go, it's about the best. But all of these boxes are limited, there's no getting around that. Nothing comes close to what a Windows PC can do, and using theater desktop/mpv, you can do massively more than those boxes. Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

Guest asrequested

mpv supports a vast array of codecs, hi res audio, too. You won't need any other player.

you do massively more than those boxes.

But keep in mind, what you think is "massively more" may not even matter to a large audience.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

But keep in mind, what you think is "massively more" may not even matter to a large audience.

But we're talking about one person's usage on a Windows 10 machine, using multiple apps for different things. mpv can replace all of them. No Android or nibbled fruit box can do that.

• Like 1

lightsout

I have been going in opposite direction for a while now.

The majority of content I acquire is .MKV which I then convert to .MP4.

Then again I don't need multiple audio track.

I once read that it was possible to have problematic .MKV payload, while .MP4 was deemed more universal.

Maybe 5-10 years ago sure. Mkv had a fairly slow adoption rate. And that was true MP4 was more versatile. But now mkv is basically standard.

Unless you have a super specific usage case like a piece of hardware that doesn't support mkv your probably wasting your time converting to MP4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clarkss12

I just discovered Sualfred's Kodi skin, and running it under CoreELEC on El cheapo hardware, KICKS the Nvidia Shield's butt.  It has ALMOST as many options as the Windows version of Emby......  Plays EVERYTHING, all the video AND audio codecs, with NO transcoding......

• Like 1

lightsout

I just discovered Sualfred's Kodi skin, and running it under CoreELEC on El cheapo hardware, KICKS the Nvidia Shield's butt. It has ALMOST as many options as the Windows version of Emby...... Plays EVERYTHING, all the video AND audio codecs, with NO transcoding......

In what way does it kick the Shields butt? In price?

clarkss12

In what way does it kick the Shields butt? In price?

In performance quality.  There is absolutely NO transcoding, none, zilch.......  I have found a couple of videos that my Nvidia chokes on, but Kodi NEVER chokes on anything.  I am NOT talking about Kodi running under Android, I am talking about LibreELEC or CoreELEC.  When using CC or subtitles, Emby transcodes on the Shield, but never under CoreELEC/LibreELEC.

lightsout

In performance quality. There is absolutely NO transcoding, none, zilch....... I have found a couple of videos that my Nvidia chokes on, but Kodi NEVER chokes on anything. I am NOT talking about Kodi running under Android, I am talking about LibreELEC or CoreELEC. When using CC or subtitles, Emby transcodes on the Shield, but never under CoreELEC/LibreELEC.

I see. But how about 4k/HDR performance?

It seems like throwing fairly average hardware into ones server negates the problem of transcoding. Unless you are serving a bunch of clients.

Edited by lightsout

CBers

In performance quality.  There is absolutely NO transcoding, none, zilch.......

I never have anything transcode on my Shield on my Lounge setup and only an occasional audio remux if necessary on the Shield in my bedroom.

Each to their own though :)

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

Maybe 5-10 years ago sure. Mkv had a fairly slow adoption rate. And that was true MP4 was more versatile. But now mkv is basically standard.

Unless you have a super specific usage case like a piece of hardware that doesn't support mkv your probably wasting your time converting to MP4.

As you said, maybe it was an early version I used back then.

But I may have given wrong impression, I do not convert MKV to MP4 just for the sake of converting.

For me, converting to mp4 is an added bonus when I acquire new content and transcode it (with XmediaRecode). I realize I lose a bit of quality in the process, but I end up with files that are up to 100 90% smaller, sometimes even more. People that have smaller collection might not care about this, but I do. XmediaRecode can predict the output file's size, and when its less than 10% smaller, I don't transcode (nor convert).

And since it lets me chose output format, this is when I convert mkv to mp4

Another great tool I use once in a while is the granddaddy of them all, AVIdemux, which, contrary to what its name tend to believe, can work with a bunch of format from and to). It can do a ton of other things and is considered the swiss army knife of video utility.

Edited by jlr19

clarkss12

I never have anything transcode on my Shield on my Lounge setup and only an occasional audio remux if necessary on the Shield in my bedroom.

Each to their own though :)

Do you use closed captions?

clarkss12

I see. But how about 4k/HDR performance?

It seems like throwing fairly average hardware into ones server negates the problem of transcoding. Unless you are serving a bunch of clients.

My Samsung TV does not support HDR, so can't comment on that.  But my 4K videos play perfectly....

CBers

Do you use closed captions?

Subtitles? Sometimes and they play without any transcoding.

• Like 1

pwhodges

I realize I lose a bit of quality in the process, but I end up with files that are up to 100% smaller, sometimes even more.

But that is nothing to do with MKV vs MP4 containers - it's a matter of whatever codec and quality settings you are using to re-encode the video.  You'd be able to get the same drop in size in an MKV container by using similar parameters (using Handbrake, for instance, which will use either container as you prefer).

Spaceboy

Subtitles? Sometimes and they play without any transcoding.

our European subtitle format seems a lot more flexible than the US closed captions

ErikaJ

@...I dl'd the windows desktop app this morning and tried playing a couple of movies. Each time I received a message that I cannot view the entire movie only 1 minute. Says someyhing to do with purchasing a premiere package. Did I download the wrong app?  Cheers

Guest asrequested

@...I dl'd the windows desktop app this morning and tried playing a couple of movies. Each time I received a message that I cannot view the entire movie only 1 minute. Says someyhing to do with purchasing a premiere package. Did I download the wrong app? Cheers

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you had Premiere. You need that to be able to use Theater. My mistake, I apologise.

Edited by Doofus

ErikaJ

No worries, I do have premiere but I wanted to can that option as well. Just looking for something that works natively. I will try some of the other suggestions. Danka

CharleyVarrick

But I may have given wrong impression, I do not convert MKV to MP4 just for the sake of converting.

For me, converting to mp4 is an added bonus when I acquire new content and transcode it (with XmediaRecode). I realize I lose a bit of quality in the process, but I end up with files that are up to 100% smaller, sometimes even more. For people that have smaller collection, they might not care about this, but I do. XmediaRecode can predict the output file's size, and if the gain is less than 10%, I don't transcode (nor convert). And since it lets me chose output format, this is when I convert mkv to mp4

Another great tool I use once in a while is the granddaddy of them all, AVIdemux, which, contrary to what its name tend to believe, can work with a bunch of format from and to). It can do a ton of other things and is considered the swiss army knife of video utility.

But that is nothing to do with MKV vs MP4 containers - it's a matter of whatever codec and quality settings you are using to re-encode the video.  You'd be able to get the same drop in size in an MKV container by using similar parameters (using Handbrake, for instance, which will use either container as you prefer).

Yes, if you read all of my previous sentences, we're saying the same thing. The transcoding I perform reduce the size of the output file, not the fact I choose mp4 over mkv, which are usually within 1% of each other's sizes (everything else being equal).

Edited by jlr19

Spaceboy

For me, converting to mp4 is an added bonus when I acquire new content and transcode it (with XmediaRecode). I realize I lose a bit of quality in the process, but I end up with files that are up to 100% smaller, sometimes even more. For people that have smaller collection, they might not care about this, but I do. XmediaRecode can predict the output file's size, and if the gain is less than 10%, I don't transcode (nor convert). And since it lets me chose output format, this is when I convert mkv to mp4

Yes, if you read all of my previous sentences, we're saying the same thing. The transcoding I perform reduce the size of the output file, not the fact I choose mp4 over mkv, which are usually within 1% of each other's sizes (everything else being equal).

100% smaller? [emoji23]
  • Like 2