Lan IP lost, can't connect to Server, bevor restart it

Kodi_Newcomer

thekingswolf

no the server dashboard has an external ip only, i do remember that having an internal ip before why is that gone now. 

this is definitely the problem, good catch.  I rebooted the server and the internal ip has returned.  what could have happened?  

@@thekingswolf

Edited by Luke
  • Like 1

CharleyVarrick

What do we know yet?

• A growing number of Emby for Kodi users are repeatedly losing their Kodi server in-home LAN IP, and are left with only remote WAN IP.
  • Emby losing its LAN IP disconnect Kodi. Kodi doesn't greet Emby user, nor make any attempt to update latest changes, and while library content is listed, nothing is playable.
  • Restarting Emby Server fixes the no LAN IP issue, but does not prevent it from happening again.
  • @@Angelblue05 has released an Emby for Kodi beta workaround. While it doesn't fixes the Emby server issue, it manages to keep Kodi connected.
  • @@Kodi_Newcomer reported no progress after switching from stable to beta Kodi.

It seems (to me at least) to be pointing to Kodi being programmed to refresh its LAN IP at the wrong time, as in when the computer is in sleep mode.

• I would like for @@Luke and/or admins to report where they stand in trying to find both cause and cure.
Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick

Is anyone able to try the beta server and compare? thanks.

I'd rather stay on stable myself, but I'm sure you'll get a taker or two. 

Kodi_Newcomer

So i have an Intel NUC as an Smarthome Server, this means it runs 24/7, at this Maschine, Emby did not loose the LAN IP, it stays all the time the Server is running. So that should happend when the server go to sleep and wakes up again.Somewhere in this time, he lost the ip. My server wakeup to random times, but i think at each wakeup the ip is gone.

CharleyVarrick

Just in case this is not clear to everyone yet, as long as Emby server is running, it does not appear to be losing LAN IP.

Losing LAN IP seems to happen only when Emby server wakes from sleep, and judging from my own experience, it happens exclusively when Emby wakes after 4am.

EDIT: I have just changed the automatic server wake time from 4:30am to 3:30am, I am expecting issue will not be happening.

As I am still experiencing lack of in-home LAN IP when waking my server at a set time of 4:00am (or after), starting now, I'll set my server wake time to 3:30am, expecting and hoping to avoid the issue.

CharleyVarrick

So i have an Intel NUC as an Smarthome Server, this means it runs 24/7, at this Maschine, Emby did not loose the LAN IP, it stays all the time the Server is running. So that should happend when the server go to sleep and wakes up again.Somewhere in this time, he lost the ip. My server wakeup to random times, but i think at each wakeup the ip is gone.

Are you talking about 2 different servers?

The Intel NUC runs 24/7 (as in never go to sleep?) and does not lose LAN IP,

is it another server that wakes up at random time and always loses its LAN IP?

Kodi_Newcomer

Yes, i have to Server now. The right one, that i use actual have that issue, after wakeup. The new Server for testing runs 24/7 and have all the time the lan ip adress.

CharleyVarrick

This is what I don't get, why is this only happening when waking from sleep.

Of all Emby users, I assume a fair share don't let their machine run 24/7, so that could translate to lots of affected user.

Yet here we are, only a handful, but growing.

5d0d357db64f3_nc.jpg

This is what I don't get, why is this only happening when waking from sleep.

That actually makes a bit of sense to me. Every time my dev machine wakes from sleep, if I had an explorer window open pointing to a network location, it is blank with a message saying there is no network connection and I have to dismiss the error for it to re-establish that connection.

Something similar must be happening here where the network doesn't exist anymore at the time the server is trying to query it.

CharleyVarrick

That actually makes a bit of sense to me. Every time my dev machine wakes from sleep, if I had an explorer window open pointing to a network location, it is blank with a message saying there is no network connection and I have to dismiss the error for it to re-establish that connection.

Something similar must be happening here where the network doesn't exist anymore at the time the server is trying to query it.

Your example makes sense indeed, but only if the explorer window (on computer "A") point to a network location (computer other than "A"). I get that once in a while, but it invariably involves at least 2 computers.

In my case (and probably for others too), Emby run on computer "A", my media is stored on computer "A". No other computer is involved, yet Emby loses track of its own host computer LAN IP.

And yes, I had the curiosity to check network and sharing and computer does show its usual LAN IP.

My guess is Emby code is programmed to refresh LAN IP at a specific time of day, which, for affected users like me, happens when host machine is in sleep mode.

Then, minutes or hours later, when host computer wakes up, Emby does NOT refresh LAN IP.

Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick

When the Emby host computer is in sleep mode, Emby is not doing anything period

When the host computer turns on, or restart, or wake from sleep, Emby should be querying for LAN IP. 

And it always does so on power on and restart, but for some reason, not when waking, or at least not 100% of the time.

Edited by jlr19

PenkethBoy

the windows network stack is not always available initially when waking up - can take a minute or two to become available - i think thats what you are seeing

so Emby could check periodically to see if it can access the network and get an ip - although when coming back from a wake - emby would not know this directly as emby does not know the pc has been in sleep/suspend mode

So not that simple a situation

• Like 2

CharleyVarrick

so Emby could check periodically to see if it can access the network and get an ip - although when coming back from a wake - emby would not know this directly as emby does not know the pc has been in sleep/suspend mode

I made a suggestion a while back (see: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/73258-check-for-pluginapplication-failed/ )

that somewhere within Emby's setting, there should be a question along the lines of:

"Is the Emby host machine set to run 24/7?"

If yes, all's well. If not, what is the schedule?

Then Emby would know better then try to update itself when its not even running.

5d0e48a682ca1_111.jpg

Edited by jlr19

Kodi_Newcomer

the windows network stack is not always available initially when waking up - can take a minute or two to become available - i think thats what you are seeing

Hm but why now ? This setting runs over a year now without having this problems...

• Like 1

Right - this is what I was hypothesizing.  It doesn't matter whether there is another computer involved as the operation is just trying to obtain the network address and, if the network isn't available at that time then it wouldn't be able to do that.

We probably just need to have some sort of retry in that situation.  But, I'm just hypothesizing here.  We will investigate and get to the bottom of it.

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

Hm but why now ? This setting runs over a year now without having this problems...

Good point!

In my case, and someone else's too within this thread, 3 years running without issue, this started happening only about 2 months ago. Emby v4 maybe?

Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick

Right - this is what I was hypothesizing.  It doesn't matter whether there is another computer involved as the operation is just trying to obtain the network address and, if the network isn't available at that time then it wouldn't be able to do that.

We probably just need to have some sort of retry in that situation.  But, I'm just hypothesizing here.  We will investigate and get to the bottom of it.

Glad to read this.

PenkethBoy

Good point!

In my case, and someone else's too within this thread, 3 years running without issue, this started happening only about 2 months ago. Emby v4 maybe?

Because every time you get an update from our friends at microsoft - the under lying system changes - and this causes issues like this where the order and time for certain services to become available - changes

also an update to drivers could react differently

IIRC - windows does not do things in the same order each time at start up anyway 

Emby is just querying the windows network and if your machine does not have its network re initialised at that time then Emby will get nothing

On a normal system boot from cold - the network stack is live as you login - so by the time emby starts (if set to auto start ) it finds the network

• Like 1

Can someone enable debug logging under Logs, then restart the server, re-create the issue, and then send me the debug log? thanks.

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

Emby is just querying the windows network and if your machine does not have its network re initialised at that time then Emby will get nothing

I can say with 99.9% certainty that if my pc is awaken at or before 3:00am, Emby ALWAYS show Dashboard in-home LAN IP.

If its awaken any time after 3:30 am, I usually do not have LAN IP.

The pc is set to go to sleep at 20:30 and set to wake at 04:00am 

Would Windows initialize network delay vary depending on it being before/after 3:00am?

CharleyVarrick

Can someone enable debug logging under Logs, then restart the server, re-create the issue, and then send me the debug log? thanks.

I need about 11 hours to re-create (when server wakes up) but I'll be glad to.

"restart the server" as in Emby or the whole computer?

Edited by jlr19

I need about 11 hours to re-create (when server wakes up) but I'll be glad to.

"restart the server" as in Emby or the whole computer?

Just emby server. Thanks.