Lan IP lost, can't connect to Server, bevor restart it

Kodi_Newcomer

Kodi_Newcomer

Is there any documentation about how to switch from stable to beta, I can follow instructions as well as the next guy, but I'm not very found of trying to figure it out by myself.

Make a backup of your system, or maybe of all the emby things, shutdown the emby server, then go to download --> Beta Channel --> running setup.exe and shoud be fine, im now on 4.2xx.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Is there any documentation about how to switch from stable to beta, I can follow instructions as well as the next guy, but I'm not very found of trying to figure it out by myself.

It is just matter of installing beta over existing stable version.  Depending on what changes have been made in beta it sometimes can prevent you from be able to downgrade from beta to stable until next stable release.

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

Make a backup of your system, or maybe of all the emby things, shutdown the emby server, then go to download --> Beta Channel --> running setup.exe and shoud be fine, im now on 4.2xx.

You sure seem to know your way around Emby for someone with "Newcomer" in its nickname. I say thank you, not-so-much Newcomer,,, :D 

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

It is just matter of installing beta over existing stable version.  Depending on what changes have been made in beta it sometimes can prevent you from be able to downgrade from beta to stable until next stable release.

You've read my mind, I swear it was going to be question #2 (what if I want to go back to stable).

But I am hesitant with anything Beta and/or custom scripts related.

I'm also a little weary of the huge hits on metadata providers when an install (and subsequent scans occurs): I've had quite a few in the last few months...

I'll wait for @@Kodi_Newcomer report if switching to Beta had any value. If he says: "issue has stopped for a week and counting", sure, I'll go for beta. If on the other hand he says within 2 days: "problem back", I'd rather stay on stable 'til something better comes along.

Edited by jlr19

robert powell

whats puzzling me though is like i said before .... I've had this setup going for about 3 years now and never had an issue. it just started doing this out of the blue about a week and half ago. Emby doesn't auto update any more since i set it up to run as service, so i know that couldn't  be what caused it. I did do an update a couple days ago just to see if that fixed the issue .... and it didn't.I and i have also noticed that i haven't had this issue for the last day and a half or so. I haven't done any thing ... it just seems to have stopped doing it. Does any one here believe in gremlins?

CharleyVarrick

whats puzzling me though is like i said before .... I've had this setup going for about 3 years now and never had an issue. it just started doing this out of the blue about a week and half ago. Emby doesn't auto update any more since i set it up to run as service, so i know that couldn't  be what caused it. I did do an update a couple days ago just to see if that fixed the issue .... and it didn't.I and i have also noticed that i haven't had this issue for the last day and a half or so. I haven't done any thing ... it just seems to have stopped doing it. Does any one here believe in gremlins?

Same 3 years+ setup for me, albeit a fresh install a month ago.

In my case, I've had this issue for a month or so.

And also the issue happens a day or 2 in a row, then stops occurring for 4 or 5 days, but then comes back for a day or 2, and so on...

Emby might ask the OS  for an IP at a specific time of day, possibly at night.

Recently, it seems to take no for an answer. If unsuccessful, it should retry on next pc power-on (or wake from sleep), like it always did before until some weeks ago.

I've already sprayed the server with gremlins repellent  :)

Edited by jlr19

Kodi_Newcomer

So some days gone. The LAN IP ist lost Everyday, but for now i can Play my Media together, without the LAN IP shown in the Dashboard.

• Like 1

Rohanaj

Thanks for combining these, Luke.  I'm not on the beta, but I thought I'd toss a little information in here, for what it's worth.

I recently noticed some issues revolving around my IPv6, which seemed to include dropping/timing out connections when Emby libraries would update and attempt to retrieve metadata from TVDB or MovieDB as well as not being able to see the Plugin Catalog listing.  At the suggestion of a colleague, I turned off IPv6 on my server computer.  Since that point, I've made two observations related to Emby:  (1) library updates have worked seamlessly again, with no issues retrieving metadata; and (2) while I've seen the LAN info disappear from the dashboard a few times still, my Roku systems on the local network have still been able to find the server as they normally do.  For example, just yesterday the In-Home (LAN) info was missing at one point, so I immediately went to one of my Rokus and it logged in to Emby perfectly.

That being said, it isn't necessarily directly correlative between disabling IPv6 and not having LAN connection issues, so I'm in no way trying to draw that conclusion here.  I just thought it might be information that could be helpful, even if only minutely so.

As a sidenote, and I don't want to sidetrack this thread, but if anyone reading it has a strong opinion on whether leaving IPv6 disabled is detrimental, I'd appreciate hearing it.

• Like 1

I don't believe disabling ipv6 will impact local network detection because we always prefer the ipv4 addresses anyway.

pwhodges

FWIW, I run IPv6 on my network, on all computers, and this causes no problems with Emby (or anything else).  Of course, I included my IPv6 address allocations (for some reason I don't understand I have two) in the local subnets field.

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

@Angelblue05 did mention she was working on a Emby for Kodi workaround for the issue Emby losing local IP.

This might explain the improvement that both @Rohanaj and @@Kodi_Newcomer reported.

I have an extra bit of info worth sharing: in my setup, the Windows 7 pc that host Emby and my media content is set to automatically go to sleep at 20:45, and set to wake at 04:30.

As I sometime wake up before alarm clock, I will exceptionally wake up the server manually before 04:30.

If its around 03:00 to 03:30 am, I never have missing local ip issue.

but if its a bit later, say, around 04:00, I have the issue up to 50% of the time.

Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick

FWIW, I run IPv6 on my network, on all computers, and this causes no problems with Emby (or anything else).  Of course, I included my IPv6 address allocations (for some reason I don't understand I have two) in the local subnets field.

And I don't run IPV6, so we can rule it out as the culprit.

CharleyVarrick

As per post# 39, I woke the server manually at 4:05 this morning and Emby had no LAN IP.

When I opened Kodi, no Emby for Kodi greeting, no new content update and while content was listed, it wasn't playable: had to restart Emby.

Kodi_Newcomer

Since i update to beta, it works, i cant see the lan ip on dashboard, but when i start kodi, he is starting the server, after the server is running, i become a message Welcome to Emby... and new files are updated and show'n. I can click on the files and can play it.

Kodi_Newcomer

I think so, it works, but as I said on the dashboard i see only the WAN IP the LAN IP isn't printing there

Angelblue05

Well that's the same thing then. Thanks.

As stated above, beta Emby for Kodi has a fix in place for this issue, but it does not resolve the server issue obviously. Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

I think so, it works, but as I said on the dashboard i see only the WAN IP the LAN IP isn't printing there

What about immediately after starting up the server, do you see the lan ip then?

CharleyVarrick

As stated above, beta Emby for Kodi has a fix in place for this issue, but it does not resolve the server issue obviously.

And it confrms why I still need to restart Emby, so it gets LAN IP, so stable-Emby for Kodi can work..

I just woke up my server manually at 02:35 am, not missing LAN IP.

As stated above if Emby wakes after 4am, it is missing LAN IP.

Just in case this is not clear to everyone yet, as long as Emby server is running, it does not appear to be losing LAN IP.

Losing LAN IP seems to happen only when Emby server wakes from sleep, and judging from my own experience, it happens exclusively when Emby wakes after 4am.

EDIT: I have just changed the automatic server wake time from 4:30am to 3:30am, I am expecting issue will not be happening.

Edited by jlr19

thekingswolf

I was watching Kodi just last night marathoning a show.  Going from one episode to the next, i lost connection to Emby (running on same network).  I have kodi connected to the server on several machine, both internal and external, and they all have lost connection to the server at the same time.  Anyone else having this issue?  

Emby works fine on other platforms.

Kodi companion 2.0.9.0 is running.

Edited by thekingswolf

Angelblue05

Does the server have a LAN ip in the dashboard?

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1