itsfks

Thuzad

The request is interesting, it should be possible to set default rights when creating the account.

• Like 1

I doubt you're going to get a lot of support for this as a home server really doesn't have a need to register.  That's more "Commercial" in the sense of needs.

With that said, if you were to switch to using LDAP for authorization, then account creation and registration are moved outside of Emby and could be controlled any way you want including a public facing web page.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

laie_techie

I would support a "Register" button, but require admin to activate / approve the user.

Thuzad

I would support a "Register" button, but require admin to activate / approve the user.

That's why I asked for a default template to handle rights. This will allow all users to be disabled and manually enabled

• 10 months later...

+1 I've seen a version in a file browser app that was just a create an account option, and then yes, required administrator approval. Either that or perhaps a password that allows registration. Either way I think as people form communities that use these servers, we should support them. 

ebps01

great idea if the emby server administrator can be aware that I asked for the request and whether or not he should accept

• 4 months later...
Lsantiesteban

Hi there!

I’m new to Emby and I just deployed my first server just for me to use at home where this feature might not be required but o do know some scenarios where it would be helpful.

I’m Cuban and here we don’t have a broad access to the internet, been able to watch media content it’s expensive and even using music services as Spotify it’s a no go. So many people have got together and created independent networks and connected each other to create an intranet full with services like forums, social sites, game servers and even geek communities to improve and bring new services to the network. Reaching over 8000 users trough the whole city this networks rely on services like Emby. Support for small things like a register button might sound unnecessary for most people but I believe scenarios like this exist all around the world and not just in Cuba and so they are worth a thought.

You have to understand that this software is meant for personal use, not commercial use and is based on admin setup, meaning if the owner of the site doesn't invite you, then you don't have access.

With that said an admin can install the LDAP plugin and have Emby Server use another directory that has account information in it.  So anyone with some coding knowledge could make a web registration system that update something like MS Active Directory which the Emby LDAP Plugin could be configured to talk to.

So it's quite possible for an admin to set this type of thing up on his/her own but it's probably not a good idea for this type of functionality to be built in.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 year later...
AFFASocial
On 7/26/2020 at 1:59 PM, cayars said:

*You have to understand that this software is meant for personal use, not commercial use and is based on admin setup, meaning if the owner of the site doesn't invite you, then you don't have access.

With that said an admin can install the LDAP plugin and have Emby Server use another directory that has account information in it.  So anyone with some coding knowledge could make a web registration system that update something like MS Active Directory which the Emby LDAP Plugin could be configured to talk to.

So it's quite possible for an admin to set this type of thing up on his/her own but it's probably not a good idea for this type of functionality to be built in.

Have you not considered that maybe family members want to register and have the password they set not one created by the Admin. Also when you say commercial use for a user registration that would imply the website  is selling user registration. Here we are asking for a user registration that can be turned off as a admin choice to save time. You should not assume USER REGISTRATION  as commercial unless it is being sold and used as commercial. You really should consider a USER REGISTRATION OPTION PERIOD.

22 minutes ago, cnjnorton said:

Have you not considered that maybe family members want to register and have the password they set not one created by the Admin. Also when you say commercial use for a user registration that would imply the website  is selling user registration. Here we are asking for a user registration that can be turned off as a admin choice to save time. You should not assume USER REGISTRATION  as commercial unless it is being sold and used as commercial. You really should consider a USER REGISTRATION OPTION PERIOD.

Hi. We have considered that but we have to consider a lot of factors. This could be a useful function for a fairly small set of our intended users but there are a lot of other features that will benefit a wider audience still. 

Also, we do have to consider the fact that the easier we make it to create large groups of users, the easier we make it for people to use us in a way we do not wish to be used. This is a real problem for us as shown by recent events with the Google store. 

• Like 1

Bagul
42 minutes ago, AFFASocial said:

Hey!
You have jfa-go which allows you to do whatever you want. You can send a mail to the person with a link, use a template of an existing user so that this one has the same settings.

https://github.com/hrfee/jfa-go

AFFASocial

Yes but assuming your users will use it for commercial use and or ILLEGAL activity means you are implying that all your paid customers would use this feature in a way that you do not wish. That is a bad business decision especially since people can use it in a illegal manner just the way it is. Do not imply a customer can not make that decision without you making that decision for them AGAIN that is a bad business decision.  I love "Emby" so don't get me wrong "A good example would be to say if a user installs a free message board and because it has a user registration feature it is a commercial site is very far fetched". Thanks for the answer and showing me your thought process.

Kudos from AFFA Social

A social network for everyone :)

5 minutes ago, AFFASocial said:

Yes but assuming your users will use it for commercial use and or ILLEGAL activity means you are implying that all your paid customers would use this feature in a way that you do not wish. That is a bad business decision especially since people can use it in a illegal manner just the way it is. Do not imply a customer can not make that decision without you making that decision for them AGAIN that is a bad business decision.  I love "Emby" so don't get me wrong "A good example would be to say if a user installs a free message board and because it has a user registration feature it is a commercial site is very far fetched". Thanks for the answer and showing me your thought process.

Kudos from AFFA Social

Hi.  I'm not implying anything.  I'm saying we have to be careful about creating features that make it even easier for the product to be used as a large-scale illegal streaming platform.  That isn't saying anything about the thousands of our users that don't do that - just that if we make it too easy, someone will and then we (and you) are the ones that are hurt by it.

But, the more important point is just that there are  a lot of other higher priority things to work on right now.

Thanks.

37 minutes ago, AFFASocial said:

Kudos from AFFA Social

No, what we're saying is even non-intentional use of our software can cause us grief. See if this helps.

Even something as silly as a non-profit church (obviously not commercial use) using our software for it's members decides to host an event with guest speakers or special music and advertise this in some fashion, maybe just on their own website.  They have a couple pictures of said "host" or "special guest" on their website and mention it will be streamed live via Emby... Said owner of copyrighted pictures, their attorneys  or whoever file a complaint to owner of website, DMCA or other organization who in turn go through all their normal routines such as looking at our website (since it was mentioned) then filing DMCA take down notices to all the stores we have software in.

Our software is different than most as it allows you to run a service vs just using one like Netflix, Hulu or Prime.  Some of the stores don't get this distinction and really don't care, they get a take down notice and follow through with it without really even looking or trying to understand the circumstances, nor contacting us first.

That causes us grief of course and we have to fight it which costs $, takes time and meanwhile hurts us because an app isn't in the store.  All because of something silly, but people along the chain are to dumb to want to understand what took place or the simple fact Emby had zero to do with it. They simply don't care nor really want to understand. :(

It may sound far fetched to you but happens. It forces us to hold the mantra "home and personal use", you "can't advertise", "can't use commercially", etc...

Now imagine the potential issues from someone intentionally trying to use our software for a pirate site or similar.   We have to walk the line of making our software easy to use in general but not so easy as to allow "automation", self registration or other types of functionality that would draw questionable uses of the software or be beyond what a personal server actually needs (no matter how easy or cool the feature would be).

We hate it, unfortunately we've had to deal with this sort of thing time and time again so we know first hand the potential for abuse some new feature can have regardless of intention.

It only takes one bad apple or bad decision even without intention to cause this type of issue. So please try and understand from our standpoint what repercussions can be for such integrations.

Edited by cayars
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, AFFASocial said:

Have you not considered that maybe family members want to register and have the password they set not one created by the Admin

Never commented on that.

You can create an account with a password, making sure to enable "Allow this user to change their password and profile image" on the profile page.
Then email/tell the user the URL, Username and current password. Give them instructions to login via web browser (click the link), then to change the password.

"To change your current password please click the settings icon at the top right of the web page which is the person icon. Select app settings from the menu, then Password."

You could also include directions if you wish to help a user customize their client with the other menu choices as well (Display, Home Screen, Playback, Subtitles), but of course you can set that up yourself before emailing or notifying them.

But it's very easy for a user to change their own password as long as you allow it (setting mentioned above).

Carlo

PS it would take you all of 10 to 15 minutes to put together a nice "welcome to my server" email template with instructions & screen shots showing how to customize their experience. Even better would be to provide a couple pictures up front of the Apple, Dark & Blue Radiance themes in Desktop mode so they'll be encouraged to make the changes after seeing what the default looks like.

• Like 2

chef
9 minutes ago, cayars said:

Never commented on that.

You can create an account with a password, making sure to enable "Allow this user to change their password and profile image" on the profile page.
Then email/tell the user the URL, Username and current password. Give them instructions to login via web browser (click the link), then to change the password.

"To change your current password please click the settings icon at the top right of the web page which is the person icon. Select app settings from the menu, then Password."

You could also include directions if you wish to help a user customize their client with the other menu choices as well (Display, Home Screen, Playback, Subtitles), but of course you can set that up yourself before emailing or notifying them.

But it's very easy for a user to change their own password as long as you allow it (setting mentioned above).

Carlo

PS it would take you all of 10 to 15 minutes to put together a nice "welcome to my server" email template with instructions & screen shots showing how to customize their experience. Even better would be to provide a couple pictures up front of the Apple, Dark & Blue Radiance themes in Desktop mode so they'll be encouraged to make the changes after seeing what the default looks like.

I like this idea. A welcome email is always a good thing, especially for people like my parents who are elderly and needed and entire how to connect with their new tv.

.... I ended up going for a visit to set it up. 😆

AFFASocial

My comments are general and state what it feels like to a "PAID Customer" based on this registration suggestion . It would be real simple to add some CSS to the bottom of the page where someone can request a user account. What I was getting at is CONVENIENCE for the site owner it would be easier for me to give family a link to register  and set things up the way they decide not how I decide to set up the account.

I still love my EMBY regardless :)

Honestly this type or code should come with a user registration especially if you purchased it the site owner should have that choice since they are responsible for the content and the site activities and not EMBY in any way.

Kudos from AFFA Social

15 minutes ago, AFFASocial said:

It would be real simple to add some CSS to the bottom of the page where someone can request a user account.

Sure it would be simple to do, but how would a person know if they wanted access or not? How would they even know where to look for said page? Are you planning on soliciting or advertising your content?  See how that can go down hill quickly?

The reality of the situation is that a personal/family server just doesn't need these kinds of features. If you can't ask your family and/or close friends in general talk if they want an account you're likely not using the software for personal and family use.

ebps01

I used to be a plex user, but plex doesn't have the support that emby has, so I don't use it anymore, I've been an emby user for over 2 years and I'm very happy for the experience that emby has given me, a few more something that I think emby could implement as in plex, such as being able to send a link to friends as in plex and emby, I don't know if you have this option, if you do, correct me

We had something like that a ways back but only for Emby connect but it was confusing as a user receives an email from a site they aren't familiar with. It's caused far more confusing than and benefit gained.

Plex owns the user the user not the admin so it's ok to get an Email from Plex.

With Emby you own your users not us so where does the Email come from?  I know I would not want to have to support integration with users email servers!
If you want to send emails to users there are plenty of software packages dedicated to doing this or just keep a couple templates handy for use in Gmail.

• Like 1