Mediabrowser server - Hard disk space

dzoulias

dzoulias

Hello all.

I am new to these forums but not to MB which I use the past 4 years.

I recently upgraded and supported MB3. I use MB classic and server.

I ran into a problem:

No matter how much HDD space I have free, eventually it will get eaten up by MB server metadata downloads.

Is there a way to configure MB in order for it to use up to a specified amount of HDD space?

Thank you all in advance.

dzoulias

Metadata isn't very big.  Can you be more specific as to what the issue really is?  Which hard drive?

dzoulias

Hello again. Let me be more specific. The drive I have installed the server. Imagecache dir gets huge... Of course I have lots of media...

I have tested with tuneup utilities and thatis the only directory getting bigger.

Thank you for the tip regarding where everything is stored, but what I need is a way to limit the amount of space that dir needs. Even if it does not download metadata for everything.

And no, I have no automatic trailer downloads.

One more thing. It downloads actor names but no pics.

In advanced -> paths 

you can configure where several resources get stored and offload to a storage disk if you want

You cannot limit the space but you can move the cache to a different drive as Luke suggested.

That directory will get cleaned out periodically by the system so it won't grow indefinitely.

Starlionblue

Apart from the imagecache trick, you can also choose to store metadata with the media.Under Metadata, then Basics in the server web interface. That'll move all the images and xml files from the MediaBrowser-Server directory to wherever you have your media.

Koleckai Silvestri

How much space should be available for metadata when planning a server?

The metadata xml files are small. About 2K per television episode or movie. Another 2K per television series. Roughly. Images would be a few megabytes per movie or television series. When you're storing 600 Megabytes to 2 Gigabytes for an episode of television at 720p, it pales in comparison.

The biggest issue would be storing various pieces on your SSD which are still expensive. Data drives can be found for as little as $30 per terabyte.  To conserve space on my SSD, I have moved my ImageByName, metadata and transcoding temp directories to a Data drive. Though most metadata is stored with my media in the same folders. Just makes more sense to me to keep it all together. Right now, I am running 11 Terabytes in storage and probably need to get it up to 18-20 terabytes and then double that for redundancy.

Starlionblue

How much space should be available for metadata when planning a server?

As Wayne Luke says, it's not a lot relatively speaking, To give you an idea, my collection is about 5½TB, and images are a total of less than 10 gigs. The xml files are negligible. Plus there's ImagesbyName which is 2.68GB. In other words my metadata is around 0.25% of the total. The ratio will change depending on the average size of your movies and TV episodes, but it will never be very high unless all you have are 20 meg short films.

Edited by Starlionblue

TugboatBill

Thanks for the feedback.  It sounds like if I allocate 200GB (SSD) for OS + MB Server I should be ok.  Haven't counted them for a while, but I think I have about 400 movies and maybe twice that in TV episodes (all on NAS).  For WMC recordings (not on the NAS) I'll probably add a HDD (1TB).

Koleckai Silvestri

I have a 250 GB SSD. On it I have Windows 7, MySQL, Apache, MediaBrowser Server, all my applications (Office, Adobe CS) and multiple games with 70 GB left. Some of the games take 20 or more Gigabytes of storage.

• Like 1

dzoulias

Thank you all for the feedback. It has been most helpful!

Creating another topic for another question.