Premiere key check broken?

moddie

moddie

Hi,

sorry if this is a duplicate, couldn't find anything pre-asked for this.

Since the 4.1.1.0 Update (I think) I've noticed, that my Server can no longer

verify its premiere Status. Also, though I don't need it, connecting with app.emby.media also doesn't work.

Emby is within a docker container and port 8920 is proxied via nginx from the docker IP:8920 to the external IP:443.

Http (80) requests are always redirected to https(443).

Network connectivity inside the container is there (ping 8.8.8.8) and a complete wipe of the docker image

and fresh pull has brought no change.

Neither nginx nor emby logs show any activity when pressing the connect button on http://app.emby.media/

However connecting via any browser or app on https://emby.my.domain:443 works as well as ever...

emby.my.domain is set as the external domain and connection mode is "Handled by reverse-proxy"

Any pointers on how to debug this would be greatly appreciated.

/greetings

Edited by moddie

Sounds like network connectivity problems are the root cause of both of those things. Try using host networking mode.

moddie

Thanks for the feedback, but the entire point of my setup is having emby as isolated as possible

in order to reduce attack surface. So host networking would be a non solution.

It seems very doubtful this is a general networking issue, since Metadata DL still works.

The only point of ingress from external is https on port 443, might that be a Problem?

Could you provide details on what connections are supposed to happen for the Premiere check?

I'll be happy to find the issue myself, if I know how to follow the Path to see where it breaks.

Is there any other possibility to set right the premiere status, manual activation or something?

thanks in advance

moddie

update:

just noticed the premiere nag is only shown on my other computer.

could this be a device usage issue? or a session/interface error?

both logged in on the same server as the same user...

update/solved:

the webinterface seems to require allowing connections to mb3admin.com

which were blocked by default. So this is at best an interface issue.

Maybe there could be a different message about inability to connect for status

verification, where it normally shows:

"You have a Lifetime Emby Premiere plan and your device usage is well within your limit."

Edited by moddie

pir8radio

yes, the server AND the clients phone home to mb3admin.com to confirm and keep track of clients used on a server.    so things were getting blocked? sounds like it was a basic network issue after all, glad you figured it out..   

Yes, sounds like that device is not able to validate.

If it were a limit problem, you should see an appropriate message for that.  The one you are seeing indicates it isn't validating at all.

moddie

for clarification:

I have uMatrix (browser extension) installed on all machines,

this, by default, blocks any requests to domains that are different

from the one you requested.

Like:

request www.blah.com

-> foo.blah.com(ok)

-> foo.com (block)

While I might not call that a networking issue, I certainly did not

realise that the apps needed to phone home as well.

The timing of seeing this issue alongside the latest update did not help debugging ;)

But I still think it would be nice if the interface displayed some kind of message informing

of "client side verification failure", so one doesn't assume a server issue where none exists.

thanks for listening, anyways and sorry to have wasted your time...

Hi, I didn't mean to suggest that you can't use bridge networking mode. I just mean that you will need to configure it in a way that will allow the server to make the outgoing http requests. Thanks for the feedback.

But I still think it would be nice if the interface displayed some kind of message informing

of "client side verification failure", so one doesn't assume a server issue where none exists.

The "Get Premiere" banner IS the message that verification failed :).  For people who don't have Premiere, it would be somewhat confusing to show some sort of error.

moddie

The "Get Premiere" banner IS the message that verification failed :). For people who don't have Premiere, it would be somewhat confusing to show some sort of error.

well, you're not wrong, but still more granularity with verification status could be had here... ;)

the way I see it is, that there are at least 3 distinct cases here:

1)positive reply from emby

2)negative reply from emby

3)communication error

depending on how you handle server side checks there may be even more possible permutations of failure to consider and accurately relay to the user.

The problem is that "communication error" isn't that easy to determine because some of these blocking mechanisms look just like a negative reply from us - although I'm sure we could find a way to refine that.  But, even so, a non Premiere person probably doesn't want to be always presented with an error that they don't care about.

Wondertje

But, even so, a non Premiere person probably doesn't want to be always presented with an error that they don't care about.

Couldn't that be handled with a super simple display check? Such as,

If (premium)
- display text
else
- display none

Basically, the text isn't shown at all unless the user is a premium user.

pir8radio

Couldn't that be handled with a super simple display check? Such as,

If (premium)
- display text
else
- display none

Basically, the text isn't shown at all unless the user is a premium user.

But if you were a premium user and something was blocking it, it would never know you were a premium user and wouldn't show you a failed message because it cant confirm premium status. So you are in the same boat.

• Like 1

Wondertje

But if you were a premium user and something was blocking it, it would never know you were a premium user and wouldn't show you a failed message because it cant confirm premium status. So you are in the same boat.

Yeah, you're right. I wasn't thinking far ahead enough to think of that :P