Streaming buffer options

kelly.clubb

kelly.clubb

I would like the ability to have up to the full video file to buffer to a client.  Wanting this option for load balancing so that when only 1 person is watching, it will buffer that client up to it's video.

Currently it only buffers up to a couple minutes ahead.

• Like 1

Hi, if you want to buffer the entire file then why not just use the download feature?

kelly.clubb

Hi, if you want to buffer the entire file then why not just use the download feature?

TBH, I don't want to save the entire file to my HDD or mobile device. Also you have to wait for the file to download to watch it.  I would much prefer to stream ahead as far as possible until the whole video is cached.  That way, if a load happens (my upload isn't great) it won't cause buffering.  Also this allows for skipping in the content without forcing a new buffer cause the area is already buffered in.  Helps prevent corruption for people that like to skip around a bit.

• Like 1

Also you have to wait for the file to download to watch it.

But you also have to wait for the buffer, so isn't the wait the same? You can always delete it after playing.

kelly.clubb

But you also have to wait for the buffer, so isn't the wait the same? You can always delete it after playing.

I didn't think you could play a file while it was downloading.

Not the same because, once the buffer if filled it stops downloading.  What the user is asking for is old school Youtube watching.  Remember when many people didn't have enough bandwidth to watch videos in real time so you start a video, hit pause, do something, then come back and watch the video as much/most of it is already buffered.

Think watching a progressive download in progress.

• Like 1

TBH, I don't want to save the entire file to my HDD or mobile device.

Hi.  You realize that "buffering" the entire file would be doing the same thing, right? 

The bottom line here is that streaming media doesn't really operate this way any more because much more efficient ways of delivering the media have been developed.

^^^This.

Can't really have it both ways.  Old school, progressive type downloads which essentially require mp4/mkv type files that fully download or new school streaming formats that support conversions on the fly, fast forwarding, jumping, etc using only a small portion of the storage/memory space.

The world has moved on from old school methods for streaming but Emby does support downloading and syncing on many of it's platforms to help in situations like being talked about here.

kelly.clubb

Maybe I'm going about this whole thing the wrong way. I guess the way to go about this then is how to "fix" the current way of things where jumping around a video doesn't cause emby to get mad and quit transcoding/buffering or stop playback in the middle of an area you jumped forward then back to.

Example, I have seen a video before and I'm jumping around to find a particular point in the video. 

• Emby will quit streaming and make me go back to movie/episode selection and restart the stream and I have to start over.

• Emby will jump around but if I jump backwards and watch an area that was already transcoded or buffered, emby will randomly stop what it's doing for about 30 seconds and may or may not start playback again without divine intervention.

kelly.clubb

Please create a new thread in the server section for this.

Thanks!

Sorry I've been extremely busy lately and haven't even had a chance to check on the replies.  If I see the issue again, I will toss it in a thread elsewhere.