View Home Video Libraries as Collections

crusher11

crusher11

I have a home videos library. Some of the items in that library are in collections. It doesn't seem possible to get the collections to display.

Hi, you should have a global collections library on your home screen and they'll show up in there. If you don't have that, then you probably removed using your emby user preferences. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

crusher11

I do, but I'd like to see the collections within the library. To be perfectly honest I'd like a way to have the collections show up only in the library, and not in the collections list at all.

levander

This is true for ALL libraries as far as I know: unfortunately no “manually” made collections are shown in per library collections. Pity.

Movie libraries have a collections tab where they will show up for that library.

levander

Movie libraries have a collections tab where they will show up for that library.

Luke, only those collections witch are generated by plugin. Custom made collections will not show up there.

Luke, only those collections witch are generated by plugin. Custom made collections will not show up there.

I just tested by creating a collection and it is showing up just fine with no problem.

levander

I apologize for misguide.

Plugin collections within custom made collections are ignored though.

Plugin collections within custom made collections

What does that mean exactly?

levander

What does that mean exactly?

I mean putting plugin made collections into new collections. For example you can make #French collection that contains only auto made collections of french films, but that doesn’t show up in per library collections view.

Edited by levander

I think we're just going to not allow nested collections anymore as it is creating an overwhelming number of permutations that we just didn't' anticipate.

levander

I think we're just going to not allow nested collections anymore as it is creating an overwhelming number of permutations that we just didn't' anticipate.

That might not be bad decision especially if there will be other ways of organizing stuff sometime.

pünktchen

What's wrong with you? Every time a user has a problem with something you want to remove that feature. A BIG BIG THUMBS DOWN for this suggestion!

What's wrong with you? Every time a user has a problem with something you want to remove that feature. A BIG BIG THUMBS DOWN for this suggestion!

Because for this one example it's just not realistic right now given the way collections are built. There's no way we can prioritize this ahead of other more important development such as live tv, so that means we either have to sit with this as an open issue for potentially several months, or just remove it for now until the times comes when we're able to revisit it.

jachin99

You can also turn off automatic updates and stay on the version of emby that works to your liking

pünktchen

Because for this one example it's just not realistic right now given the way collections are built. There's no way we can prioritize this ahead of other more important development such as live tv, so that means we either have to sit with this as an open issue for potentially several months, or just remove it for now until the times comes when we're able to revisit it.

Than leave it as it is, but don't remove it. I do not have problems with nested collections and the solution for @@levander is simple like that:

do not put your AutoBoxset made collections into custom ones or do not use the AutoBoxset plugin at all. Problem solved!

Than leave it as it is, but don't remove it. I do not have problems with nested collections and the solution for @@levander is simple like that:

do not put your AutoBoxset made collections into custom ones or do not use the AutoBoxset plugin at all. Problem solved!

The problem is we're seeing frustration occurring in multiple sections of the community, because currently, it only works if you use it exactly in the way we tell you to, and for many, that's just not the way they want to do it. If we keep it as-is, then it is only going to result in unnecessary troubleshooting. I see your harsh feedback but please understand the troubleshooting is painful for both users and us, and it only ends up pulling us away from new development.

At the display level, nothing changes, so your current nested collections will still work, you just won't be able to setup new ones because the menu option will be gone. Actually, I take that back, you could still do it for now with the multi-select tool because the multi-select tool is not smart enough to hide/show commands based on what is selected. In the event it does become smart, you could still use the api with swagger to add them.

levander

Actually, I don’t have a problem with it because I gave up on collections. It’s just too much problems. But I do hope something will change.

pünktchen

Btw. it's not dependant on the AutoBoxset plugin. There's only one time i cannot see a collection under the library's collection tab

and that is when the "main" collection only consists of other collections, but not of any movie. For me that makes totally sense.

Without any movie at the collections root there's no criteria to decide under which library the collection should show up.

Without any movie at the collections root there's no criteria to decide under which library the collection should show up. 

That is exactly right.