35 replies to this topic

#1 Hoochee OFFLINE  

Hoochee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Local time: 03:03 PM

Posted 18 May 2019 - 10:24 PM

N5550 running 4.2.0.5 beta, playing through an Apple 4K. A couple of days ago the following started:

When in any video media Library, as I scroll down the media list I am eventually popped back up to the top of the list. To clarify, I have 70 shows and I scroll down to the second “page” of titles, suddenly the screen jumps back up to the top of the list. The media list flashes (as in it disappears very briefly, just enough to notice) then I’m popped back to the top. When I scroll down again the jump repeats, and repeats...and so on.

Then also when watching any show the video will freeze very briefly, then continue. It seems to freeze with the same frequency as the jumps in the media menu which is about every 10 seconds or so.

This was also happening under 4.2.0.4 beta and started well after I had been running that version successfully. For comparison, I also have Plex and media plays without issue through it. No anomalies in playback or menu scrolling.

Thoughts?

@Hoochee

#2 Gilgamesh_48 ONLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 733 posts
  • Local time: 04:03 PM
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 19 May 2019 - 03:39 AM

Both my servers updated to 4.2.0.6 and a bug has appeared in all the apps I use. 

When I go into a movie library on my Roku, Shield TV and Fire 4K Stick and select one of the movie libraries and move to the letters in the left and select a letter like "C" the selection just jumps into the first row instead of moving to a "C." 

The selection feature was working fine on 4.2.0.5

This is happening on both my servers,

The web app works as it always did.

Log for my primary server

Attached File  EmbyLogFor-2019-05-19.txt   467.72KB   1 downloads

Edit: One more thing that appears to be different but I only noticed it on my Shield. When I have scrolled down in my movie list and I press "Back" it goes to the first movie in the list instead of exiting back to previous screen, It takes a second press of "Back" to truly go back. My Roku only needs one press of "Back" to get out of the movie list.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48, 19 May 2019 - 03:50 AM.

• CBers likes this

#3 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 14983 posts
  • Local time: 09:03 PM
  • LocationKent, England.

Posted 19 May 2019 - 03:56 AM

I'm also seeing the jump issue that @Gilgamesh_48 is. Sometimes it works, but most of the time it doesn't.

Tested on my Shield in both TV and Movie libraries.

Also, the "back" operation in the ATV app, where it always jumps back to the first item in the library, has been like that for a while. Can't quite remember the reason why, but it's something you get used to.
  • Gilgamesh_48 likes this

#4 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46449 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:40 AM

Edit: One more thing that appears to be different but I only noticed it on my Shield. When I have scrolled down in my movie list and I press "Back" it goes to the first movie in the list instead of exiting back to previous screen, It takes a second press of "Back" to truly go back. My Roku only needs one press of "Back" to get out of the movie list.

That is by design and has been that way for quite a while.  Since there are tabs at the top, you need to be able to quickly get back to the top of the list when you have scrolled down in order to navigate up.

#5 Gilgamesh_48 ONLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 733 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:53 AM

That is by design and has been that way for quite a while.  Since there are tabs at the top, you need to be able to quickly get back to the top of the list when you have scrolled down in order to navigate up.

I understand. I just never noticed it before. I rarely use those tabs so getting to them has never seemed a priority, Also it is just one extra press to get the behavior I prefer so the impact to me is minimal.

I guess with you and @CBers telling me it has been that way for a while I should believe it. I just never noticed it before. 

The bug I actually made this report for is, by far, more important and I hope a new release of the server is made real soon to correct it. I have a large library and it is very hard to browse on any of my clients because of the bug. I have become used to being able to choose a letter to jump to.

Thanks.

• CBers likes this

#6 Gilgamesh_48 ONLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 733 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:46 AM

After careful consideration I have decided that my primary server should not be running the beta. I need it to be stable as I am not real mobile and I need my main system to work as well as possible. Therefore I have rolled my main system back to Version 4.1.1.0. This has made the letter selection on my clients start working correctly again.

My secondary server is staying on the beta as I do enjoy testing and that server does still have the letter selection bug.

It is not only the need for a stable correctly working server that convinced me to move back but it is also the fact I realized that testing is better if I can actually compare observations between beta and non-beta.

Thank y'all for Emby!  :)

• CBers likes this

#7 JaScoMa OFFLINE  

JaScoMa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:52 AM

Hello..

This may be a server issue since I just updated to 4.2.0.6b, but if I go to my movies then select the letters on the left for quick jump, it doesn't jump to the letter, just to the top of the listing.

I tried the web interface for the server and this works.

A - works

B - N (no O) - Jumps to top second line listing

P - V (missing letters) - Jumps to the top third line listing

W - Works

X - Works

Y - Works

Z - Works

If I manually move to the movies starting with D and select the P letter, it jumps to the top third line in the listing.

Thank you..

@JaScoMa

#8 rbjtech OFFLINE  

rbjtech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 429 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:51 PM

After careful consideration I have decided that my primary server should not be running the beta. I need it to be stable as I am not real mobile and I need my main system to work as well as possible. Therefore I have rolled my main system back to Version 4.1.1.0. This has made the letter selection on my clients start working correctly again.

My secondary server is staying on the beta as I do enjoy testing and that server does still have the letter selection bug.

It is not only the need for a stable correctly working server that convinced me to move back but it is also the fact I realized that testing is better if I can actually compare observations between beta and non-beta.

Thank y'all for Emby!  :)

What i do is to turn off the auto-upgrade on my Primary server (beta) and only have my secondary auto-update.  That way I can see the problems on the secondary first, lookup details on the forum and then make an informed decision on whether to update the Primary.  In the recent 4.2.0.6 update, things are not looking rosy (this thread, plus auto-organise has broken..) so I will definitely not be updating my Primary until a fix has been rolled out.

#9 Hoochee OFFLINE  

Hoochee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Local time: 03:03 PM

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:17 PM

I’m clearly missing why I’m the OP on this thread when a) it’s not the title of the Topic I started when posting my issue and B) everyone is chiming in with issues completely unrelated to my topic. Regardless, my issue is apparently linked to a recent TVOS update to 12.3 because I found a thread I the Server>AppleTV forum where several others report my same issue.

#10 Gilgamesh_48 ONLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 733 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:32 PM

I’m clearly missing why I’m the OP on this thread when a) it’s not the title of the Topic I started when posting my issue and B) everyone is chiming in with issues completely unrelated to my topic. Regardless, my issue is apparently linked to a recent TVOS update to 12.3 because I found a thread I the Server>AppleTV forum where several others report my same issue.

I stated this particular thread and sometime after that some moderator saw yours and decided that the bug being reported was the same and so merged your post into this thread and since the time/date on your post was earlier than mine it meant that your post became first.

FWIW: I have seen this before and in a lot of cases like this one I think the "merge" was the wrong way to handle the overlap. I think it would have been better to place a link in your thread to this one and a link in this thread to yours. Particularly since the bug(s) could be different as I saw no improper behavior until the 4.2.0.6 beta. Earlier versions worked fine for me on my Rokus, Fire TVs and Shield TV.

Sometimes I think the mods here get a bit over enthusiastic in their merging activities and I think there are often better ways to handle things.

• CBers and Hoochee like this

#11 PenkethBoy OFFLINE  

PenkethBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3372 posts
  • LocationWarrington,UK

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:23 PM

@ebr

Can we get an ETA on the letter picker error for ATV please as its a PIA when you have a large library and you get random results!

• CBers likes this

#12 Gilgamesh_48 ONLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 733 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:35 PM

Just to report 4.2.0.7 does not fix this bug.

The release notes did not say it would so I did not expect it to, but hope springs eternal.

#13 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 14983 posts
  • LocationKent, England.

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:37 PM

Yes, this is getting really annoying.

There doesn't seem to be a consistent pattern.

Hopefully @ebr can fix this, as the web client seems to be OK.

I'll move this thread to the Testing Area->Android forum.

#14 Gilgamesh_48 ONLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 733 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:27 PM

Yes, this is getting really annoying.

There doesn't seem to be a consistent pattern.

Hopefully @ebr can fix this, as the web client seems to be OK.

I'll move this thread to the Testing Area->Android forum.

It absolutely does NOT belong in the Android section as it also effect Rokus. It belongs in the server area as it defiantly is a server problem as it effects multiple platforms.

Please move it back to where it really belongs. Or would you rather there be multiple threads about the same bug in each client forum.

• CBers likes this

#15 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 14983 posts
  • LocationKent, England.

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:32 PM

Please move it back to where it really belongs.

Sorry, TL;DR, back in server area.

#16 Gilgamesh_48 ONLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 733 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:36 PM

Sorry, TL;DR, back in server area.

Thanks.

• CBers likes this

#17 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 14983 posts
  • LocationKent, England.

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:37 PM

So, we need @Luke and @ebr to read this and fix it.

#18 Gilgamesh_48 ONLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 733 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:54 AM

I am a bit surprised that neither @Luke or @ebr have yet responded to this thread. While I understand that what is reported is NOT a crash bug and the time lapsed has been quite short it does seem that this is a pretty serious usability bug and needs to be addressed or at least acknowledged by the people that can fix it. 

There has been one beta release since the bug was reported and it did not address the problem but it was, probably, in the pipe before the first report.

​But this does need to be addressed and acknowledged soon if for no other reason than to maintain the confidence that many of us have with Emby development.

I have had many lesser bugs followed up on faster than this has been and, maybe, I have been spoiled. But I LIKE being spoiled and therefore have come to expect the pampering.

Thanks.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48, 22 May 2019 - 09:11 AM.

#19 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 136163 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:48 AM

It's being looked into, thank you for your patience.

#20 Gilgamesh_48 ONLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 733 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:08 PM

It's being looked into, thank you for your patience.

Thank you. I will try my best to be patient, as hard as that is. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users