List of Shield TV supported formats for direct play?

hifiaudio2

hifiaudio2

Is there a list of everything Emby in the Shield can play directly? Kodi is OK but if I can forgo it and only use Emby for everything in my home theater that would be great. Can I play all current 1080p and 4k Blu-ray rips in mkv containers, with Atmos, dtsx, hdr, etc without transcoding or any extra stress on the server? Can I also easily choose subtitle streams during play back for those times when the forced subtitles weren't ripped?

Edited by hifiaudio2

mrfragger

I have all my videos direct streaming to a nvidia shield. They are in an mp4 or mkv container and the codec being either x264 or if I re-encode to h265. I use opus 96kpbs for audio or bypass sometimes for ac3. I still have about a month or less left till I’m completely done with all that re-encoding. Disable all transcoding in the user settings. I use open subtitles plugin to automatically download SRT subs to avoid any transcoding or remuxing.

Edited by mrfragger

The above article goes over this but the support is dependent on the actual hardware involved (mostly for audio).

Is there a reason mpegts cannot direct play since they apparently added ts seeking in ExoPlayer recently?

We found their implementation to be very unreliable.  Some items still would not seek.

We will try again in a future beta cycle.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

We found their implementation to be very unreliable.  Some items still would not seek.

We will try again in a future beta cycle.

Has this become more reliable yet?  I hate to have my server remux DVR recordings unnecessarily.

• Like 1

Has this become more reliable yet?  I hate to have my server remux DVR recordings unnecessarily.

I'm not sure that it has but we may try on the next release.

Remuxing these should take very little resources on your server and puts them in a proper, seekable, streaming format...

I'm not sure that it has but we may try on the next release.

Remuxing these should take very little resources on your server and puts them in a proper, seekable, streaming format...

I just want to avoid unnecessary writing to disk.  I have a problem with watching in-progress recordings that this might affect too.  If I stop playing an in-progress recording and try to resume, it takes a long time to start playing again (probably at least 15 seconds).  Also, skipping forward and back in general is not very quick.  These are MPEG2 recordings on a Shield TV client.

• 1 month later...

Could we try to Direct Play MPEG2 .ts in the upcoming beta round?

If you mean specifically .m2ts I don't think Exo supports that container.  It is marked as a low priority enhancement in their system.

If you mean specifically .m2ts I don't think Exo supports that container.  It is marked as a low priority enhancement in their system.

I mean .ts DVR recordings as discussed above.

They will direct play.  The question will be will you be able to seek them reliably.  We will try again in this round.

maegibbons

I just want to avoid unnecessary writing to disk. I have a problem with watching in-progress recordings that this might affect too. If I stop playing an in-progress recording and try to resume, it takes a long time to start playing again (probably at least 15 seconds). Also, skipping forward and back in general is not very quick. These are MPEG2 recordings on a Shield TV client.

I too have this issue with resuming in-progress recordings. I have mentioned it before but if there is someone else reporting the same issue and is willing to help test then i am game to start another round of logs on the issue.

Krs

Mark

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

I too have this issue with resuming in-progress recordings. I have mentioned it before but if there is someone else reporting the same issue and is willing to help test then i am game to start another round of logs on the issue.

This is related to them being transcoded and created at the same time I believe.  I think there have been improvements here in the current beta server.

In-progress recordings are not going to be direct-playable by the app because I know they won't seek properly (due to no accurate duration).

maegibbons

This is related to them being transcoded and created at the same time I believe. I think there have been improvements here in the current beta server.

In-progress recordings are not going to be direct-playable by the app because I know they won't seek properly (due to no accurate duration).

I have not seen any improvements.

I appreciate that it needs to be transcoded but the issue is it just does not start to play at all.

I have just tried to resume "Place in the sun" which was 6.10 in and i have now been waiting at least two mintes with blue spinner.

I have just backed out and the time on resume now says 7:09 as though it thought it was playing.

I have just sent you logs

User: emby

Server: emby-core

Krs

Mark

Spaceboy

That’s weird cos the only issue I have with in progress recordings is, if the are long (ie 1hour plus) I may have issues fast forwarding through ad breaks towards the end of the show. They almost always start immediately. Stable server

maegibbons

That’s weird cos the only issue I have with in progress recordings is, if the are long (ie 1hour plus) I may have issues fast forwarding through ad breaks towards the end of the show. They almost always start immediately. Stable server

Remind me of your source?

Mine are generally HDHR.

Not sure if Live TV settings affect in progress viewing but what are your Live TV settings?

Krs

Mark

He's trying to resume one while it is still in progress.  I don't think that has ever worked well with any of the apps.  Starting from the beginning should be no problem.

Spaceboy

He's trying to resume one while it is still in progress. I don't think that has ever worked well with any of the apps. Starting from the beginning should be no problem.

no, it works for me.

Spaceboy

Remind me of your source?

Mine are generally HDHR.

Not sure if Live TV settings affect in progress viewing but what are your Live TV settings?

Krs

Mark

source is an m3u combined of local tv card and iptv

Live tv settings is just play everything direct. Don’t think I’ve set anything else. I can possibly check tonight, more likely tomorrow

maegibbons

source is an m3u combined of local tv card and iptv

Live tv settings is just play everything direct. Don’t think I’ve set anything else. I can possibly check tonight, more likely tomorrow

The fact that you are coming in as an m3u rather than HDHR could be the difference. Are the recordings still stored as .TS?

Can you show me the media info from a recorded file?

Many thanks

Krs

Mark

maegibbons

Ok @@ebr

I have found the difference.

The m3u stream when it resumes is using directstream. I.e a copy of both VIDEO and AUDIO components. (For others benefit)

When it does the HDHR stream it remuxes. The VIDEO conponent is copied but for some reason it is translating aac_latm to aac.

I think aac_latm is supported by exoplayer?

Does it really need to be re-encoded anyway?

And why does this break resuming anyway?

Directstream of m3u resumes perfectly!!

Krs

Mark

• Like 1

When it does the HDHR stream it remuxes. The VIDEO conponent is copied but for some reason it is translating aac_latm to aac.

I think aac_latm is supported by exoplayer?

Aha.  There is a topic out here about that at present (but I think it has been dragged off-topic lately and, in fact, you have posted in it... :)).

Edit: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/79930-aac-latm-transcoding/?p=833026

maegibbons

Indeed.

Two topics is better than one :-)

So what can be done about aac_latm on Shield?

And if not, why is the remux to aac causing a resume problem compared to just a container swap?

Krs

Mark

maegibbons

There have been issues with AAC_LATM for a while now.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/35338-aac-latm-audio/

Yeah... that was nearly 4 years ago. I think exoplayer and emby have moved forward a lot since then.

Either we can get aac_latm working on the shield

Or....

Why does a remux to aac cause a problem with resuming in progress recordings?

The first is better, but 2nd will do in terms of resume functionality.

Krs

Mark