Feedback requested regarding Emby LG app vs Emby Android TV app

Senna

Senna

Looking for a new smart TV for in the bedroom and was wondering what the pros and cons are of each Emby app for the following platforms:

• Emby LG app
  • Emby Android TV app

So for users with experience on both platforms @@CBers and everyone else:

1. Which one do you favor and why
  2. Which platform has most format support
  3. Which platform has most options regarding Emby basic and extended functionality

Content that is going to be played on that new TV ranges from 1080p to 4K HEVC HDR.

Thanks to everyone giving feedback !

CBers

Funny you ask, as I've just had a similar conversation with a friend along the same subject.

1. Android TV (Shield) is head and shoulders the best Emby client, IMO.

2. Dependant on Android TV device, but Shield over my LG TV any day.

3. Not sure what you mean, but the Android TV app is very feature rich these days and more to come ;)

Hopefully all of the features in the ATV app will be fed into the other clients as well, so they can all benefit from the hard work @@ebr has put into it, after all of the relentless user requests he has received :)

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Senna

That sure helps, so thanks @@CBers :)

Have no experience with the Emby LG app, but have a little experience with the Android TV app (only set it up for my brother and his wife so they can connect to my Emby server)

2. Dependant on Android TV device, but Shield over my LG TV any day.

Was already looking for an Android TV 9.0 TV set, TCL EP660 or EP680 series, to be released this summer (enough features onboard those TV sets for our bedroom, for the price you have to pay)
Is the Shield already running Android TV 9.0, so that I don't run into problems with the Emby app when purchasing an Android TV  9.0 ? (Android noob here  :rolleyes: )

3. Not sure what you mean, but the Android TV app is very feature rich these days and more to come ;)

Apple household here (Apple TV 4K/iphones/iPads), so just want to make sure that Emby LG/Android TV app has same (or more) basic features as web app, iOS app, because on Apple TV platform, some basic functionality is still missing in Emby app, like for example, downloading subtitles directly from app and setting subtitle size.

• Like 1

CBers

Apple household? Not sure I should be talking to you then, but at least you've seen the light :D

I can't tell you if the Android TV app is better than the iOS app, as I have never used Apple products. @@Spaceboy might know.

WRT the Shield, no its still running Android 8 (Oreo), but I would assume it would get Pie soon.

There is a new upgrade, called a Shield Experience upgrade, due this summer I believe.

There may be a new Shield coming out soon - see here.

We are working towards making the apps consistent so that they all look the same everywhere, and then you can just pick the device you want and trust that you'll get the same experience.