Photo

Connecting Remotely To Emby Server Crashes Internet On Modem...

Connecting Remotely Emby Server Crashes Internet Modem Online Offline Synology

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • Local time: 10:23 AM

Posted 18 May 2019 - 12:45 PM

Hello, all.

I have my Emby Server running on my Synology DS918+ NAS, but I'm having trouble with remote connection with our internet to our modem.

When I try to connect to my Emby Server remotely, it crashes my internet on my modem. This does not always happen, since I connected to it yesterday and played music all day out of the house, but it does 99.9% of the time. Sometimes I can't even connect to our Emby Server because it says it can't find it or for some other reason. I have Emby Connect for all users enabled as well as port forwarding on my router and I also have purchased Emby Premiere. Once it crashes, they only way to fix my internet to the modem and then of course to the router, is to have two separate phone cables running to my Phone Jack (because it's coming in via DSL) and to the modem, and keep swapping them out to get back online, and vice versa. One will be plugged in, while the other won't until it happens again. Without doing that, the DSL light on my modem will keep blinking while the internet light is off because it is trying to establish a connection, but it can't until I swap it out with the other phone cable in which then both the DSL light goes on as well as the internet light in which we are back online.

I've contacted my ISP, in which they then set out a Bell Technician to see what was the issue, the Bell Technician said the line outside is good, in which we figured out that the inside Phone Jack has a little static, but doesn't effect overall internet since we're online. But, once the internet is down, while I try to connect remotely to our Emby Server, which made the internet crash, I have to keep swapping out the old phone cable to the modem with the new phone cable which the Bell Technician gave us, and if it happens again, vice versa.

Our internet speed is ~ 20MBPS Down, and ~ 3.5MBPS Up.

I've narrowed it down to it being either the Emby Server making our internet crash on our modem while trying to connect to it remotely or our modem crashing the internet while trying to connect the Emby Server remotely.

My setup goes as follows: Phone jack, phone cable lines with extenders to make it longer x 2 (once set new, one set old), modem (which is in Bridge Mode) going to router, devices connected to router with ethernet devices connected to it with a Ethernet Switch + WiFi enabled. 

Can anyone help me fix this issue? I would love to just connect to my Emby Server remotely without any issues at home and from abroad. Could it be my modem not being "powerful enough" to handle the connection? Could it be something to do with the settings in my modem, router, or in the Emby Server? I would be willing to purchase a better "more powerful modem" if this is the case.

Any help would be much appreciated as soon as possible.

Thank you!

Edited by Vinnie Sims, 18 May 2019 - 01:13 PM.

#2 Senna OFFLINE  

Senna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 955 posts
  • Local time: 04:23 PM

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:02 PM

At what speed in Mbps, did you set in "Advanced Settings" regarding this GLOBAL setting:

• Internet streaming bitrate limit (Mbps)

Or did you setup "Internet streaming bitrate limit" for each user in "User Settings" ?

Because 3,5 Mbps is saturated in no time, when multiple remote users connect and play content from your Emby server simultaneously.

#3 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:08 PM

I did not set any limit for any users and I did not set any speed in Mbps in the "Advanced Settings". I thought the Emby Server would handle that knowing how much it has to use...

#4 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 131233 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:30 PM

I did not set any limit for any users and I did not set any speed in Mbps in the "Advanced Settings". I thought the Emby Server would handle that knowing how much it has to use...

We do, but it may not be perfect in all environments, and if you have special circumstances then you may benefit from specifying a value. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

#5 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:32 PM

Ok, so should if I set a limit under "Advanced Settings"? Will this cause my internet to stop crashing on my modem? I will set the limit to 3Mpbs...

#6 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 131233 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:35 PM

I would try that but it's hard to say, it's not like we're seeing widespread reports of modems crashing, so it's hard for us to know what conditions are causing that.

#7 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:37 PM

Ok, I just set the the limit to 3Mbps on my Emby Server in the "Advanced Settings". If this is not the issue, what else do you think it could be?

#8 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 131233 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:42 PM

We'll go from there after this, but it sounds like it's just too much traffic for the modem to handle. You may want to lower the value to 1 mbps to be honest, just to be safe.

#9 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:45 PM

Ok, I see. I've set the value to 3Mbps and it seems to be ok, but I'll have to do some real world testing to see if that works or not. My family members don't really connect all at the same time, so why should I change it to 1Mbps if it can handle the 3Mbps?

#10 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 131233 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:49 PM

Because that value is per remote connection, so you may want to try and see how it handles multiple simultaneous remote connections.

#11 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:51 PM

Oh, now I understand. I will set it to 1 mbps for now and see how multiple simultaneous remote connections are. I'll keep this thread updated. Thanks so far, @Luke!

#12 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:43 PM

So, I'm still having the issues, but I don't think it has to do with Emby.

When we try to connect to the Emby Server locally or externally, it seems to work fine since we changed how much each connection gets. But, our internet on our modem still crashes even when nobody is home and not even on the Emby Server.

I've found this forum article https://community.sy...m/17/post/76385 which is unanswered, but I also found this article https://community.sy...58?reply=226546 which does sound similar to my issue, which I was thinking it could have to do something with the Synology NAS with our modem. 

Please let me know what you guys think. I want to get this issue solved.

Edited by Vinnie Sims, 23 May 2019 - 09:44 PM.

#13 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 131233 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:50 PM

I would give that information to your ISP, Bell, and see what they say. Do you have to use a modem provided by them? Could you by a better modem and use that instead? I know some other ISP's that allow that.

#14 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:02 AM

My ISP is Diallog Telecommunications, but their lines goes through Bell, here in Ontario, Canada. https://diallog.com/

My modem is provided by Diallog which is a SmartRG Modem, ironically not so smart if the modem is the issue. https://www.smartrg.com/sr516ac

I think if the modem is the issue, that’s my only choice, I will call them and ask for a better modem or I will buy one myself and ask them for the settings to put on it so I can connect to the internet. Any suggestions?

When the Bell Technician came out the one day to see what was the issue, he even said some ISPs give out crappy modems.

The other day when I called my ISP when this issue was going on still after fixing the Emby issue, they suggested I power-cycle everything, which I told them that wouldn’t fix it. They also told me to move the modem closer to the phone jack because I have my modem running with the phone line with some extensions. I told him that wouldn’t solve the issue and he said we can’t do anything about it. I could technically contact the real support while the guy I was talking to was the person who put our modem into Bridge Mode. Do you think moving it closer would solve it?

#15 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 131233 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:15 AM

I've never had dsl before but this list of choices might help:

https://www.savantma...est-dsl-modems/

They also told me to move the modem closer to the phone jack because I have my modem running with the phone line with some extensions.

This is reasonable advice. This could only be answered after testing because it depends on your phone connection quality and your phone cable quality. But generally speaking you are indeed creating better conditions if you shorten the phone cable.

Phone cables are more sensitive to length than ethernet cat5 cables. So, if you can choose between a lengthier phone cable or a cat5 cable, always choose the cat5. The best solution is to keep your phone cable as short as physically possible. Telephone cables will increase attenuation the lengthier they are.

#16 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:29 AM

Thanks for the information on the DSL Modems, but most of them in the list have ports on the back that have a cable connection while mike comes in through a phone line cable.

Do you think moving it closer would help? I will try it...

The thing is, is that I’ve never had internet problems with this modem until I setup the Synology NAS on our network with Emby on it. Everything started to fail after that point.

#17 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 131233 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:33 AM

Do you think moving it closer would help? I will try it...

The thing is, is that I’ve never had internet problems with this modem until I setup the Synology NAS on our network with Emby on it. Everything started to fail after that point.

I don't know if it will affect the modem crashing, but reducing the length of the phone cable and eliminating the phone extensions are a good thing to do and will likely improve the overall performance and stability of your network, even if you don't happen to notice any difference at first.

#18 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:36 AM

So, you’re suggesting I move it closer and experiment to see if that may solve the issue? The Bell Technician gave me brand new phone cable for it to run to where it is now. I guess I will try moving it closer and see if that does anything.

#19 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 131233 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:38 AM

I'm just saying you should move it closer whether it ends up helping or not.

#20 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:39 AM

I understand. The thing is, my modem is currently in my server room and taking it out would be a hassle, but I guess it’s worth trying.

My gut is telling me that is does having something to do with the NAS overpowering the modem and making it crash...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Connecting, Remotely, Emby, Server, Crashes, Internet, Modem, Online, Offline, Synology

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users