Still using 2.6.1

DanP

Hello:

I'm a subscriber to Media Browser, and I'm still using 2.6.1.  I've seen MB 3.0... is out.  I have looked and haven't found an update guide for those still using the old versions.  I see where I'm being told to go to 3.0, but I'm not sure if I can do an in place upgrade.

If there is a guide for upgrades, please link it.  Thank you.

However, my version is working fine.  I have hundreds of movies and the setup was no easy task.  I have no desire to start over.  So, if there isn't a way to simply upgrade what I already use and enjoy, can I just keep what I have without issue?   Also, I use Media Center Master to build my metadata folder. I also use TMT 6 along with WMC.

When I do upgrade, I'm not really interested in showing what I've watched or how many times transfer to the new version.  But, can I still use MCM, and will MB3 still read all my existing metadata?  Also, if it doesn't do an in place upgrade, can I have both versions on my system and work at the upgrade bit by bit?

Sorry, for asking the question that's probably already been asked plenty of time.  Thank you.

Edited by DanP

techywarrior

MB3 uses a whole new structure, allowing a lot of new functionality. For this reason there is no in place upgrade. Unfortunately you can't run both on the same machine either.

The good news is that your metadata can all still be used if it's stored in the movie/tv folders (which I believe it would have to be for you to be using MCM). Watched status doesn't transfer.

Once the MB3 server is installed you can install MBC (Media Browser Classic) which is the WMC client for MB3 (basically the replacement of the old MB2 you used). You will still be able to use external players if you choose in MBC just like you could in MBC.

Thank you for the reply.  I'm glad I asked--I came so close to upgrading right before a big movie night.  I see I should have started in FAQ,  not tutorials/guides.

I see I have some reading to do.  This really is the best media program, and I'll have to upgrade.  For ISO support and customization, Media Browser can't be beat.   I'll make sure to pony up some cash because I appreciate the work.  Thanks again for the help.

• Like 1

yardameus

I've made mention to several people to install Media Browser Server first (and only) when starting the upgrade process.  This can co-exist with MB2, MBClassic cannot.  That way, you can be certain all your metadata and everything (watched status, etc..) is how you want it, and then decide if you're going with Media Browser Classic, or MBT or whatever.  Once you're certain everything is how you want it, uninstalling MB2 and installing MBC is a pretty quick process.

• Like 1

sudopinion

This is disappointing.

Is there any way someone could get me the themes that were released for the old mb?
My app still delivers on 2.6x and it would be nice to offer a couple of themes.

This is disappointing.

Is there any way someone could get me the themes that were released for the old mb?

My app still delivers on 2.6x and it would be nice to offer a couple of themes.

What is disappointing?

What app?

• 2 years later...
sudopinion

RoM-Jacket. 
Is there some way to get the old themes for us legacy users?

MB3 is very clunky on my computers and wmc still runs silky smooth.