Invalid user name or password error

x88dually

x88dually

My 2 roku ultras cant log into emby server.

Everything ran fine for a few years until a few days ago. Now i'm screwed.

Fire Tv's, Samsung Tv's and pc's/laptop's work fine.

I created a emby connect user name and password on server, rebooted emby. Roku's connected. BUT, now i have a problem with Samsung

tv's doing the same as the Roku's did. And there are no icons on Tv's for what buttons do which function. Bottom right buttons are blue squares with ? inside. User name and password fields extend into number pad field.

Soooo, i can get EITHER Roku's to work or Samsung Tv's to work, but i cant have both anymore.

One of the first few things you're gonna say is, update to latest version, and i can't !!

When i tryed v4.0.1.0 on my home scrren , i had server/user name icon, collection, and trailers icons, LOST were my Tv show, Movies, Collections, trailers and folders icons. This version didnt have the chech boxes for folder and user name views, the way my current v3.5.3. have.Then i tryed v4.1.1.0 and same issue, when i click on server/user name, i got folders for each drive in library, and i checked every setting everywhere to get this new screen the way my old screen was.

Soo, how do i get these 3 issues fixed ?????

Edited by x88dually

Hi. I'm pretty sure your login issue is related to the old server version and your other problems are probably just incompatable file structures or setup.  We should take a look at exactly what those problems are and address them so you can update.

Thanks.

x88dually

v4.1.1.0 was a virgin install on a virgin win7 install. win7 updated, then installed codecs, then emby.

The samsungs are on the latest version.

The old server version was running fine til earlier this week

Edited by x88dually

x88dually

Go into your Devices tab on the server.

Delete every single device. All. No exceptions.

Don't worry. They will rebuild. This just deletes their old auth token. Now it has to regenerate one. Now the one the app stored is irrelevant it will discard ask the server for a new one. Regenerate your device on the server. Then it will show in the Devices tab. Does this fix your issue?

x88dually

huh ??   there were only 2 showing. Samsumg tv and firefox. samsung got deleted but firefox only has edit, NOT delete.

Yeah you cannot use delete on the device you are in the device section with.. lol.. hence you were using firefox to view devices you can only edit firefox..

Also..

1) Delete all Emby apps from the Roku...

2) Then restart the Roku.. do not skip this..You must restart the Roku after uninstall Emby.

3) Then reinstall all the Emby apps back on your Roku.

This will remove the stale registry that might contain the old device data. It will start the Emby app up as if this was the first time it ran.

Edited by speechles

x88dually

why all of a sudden did this happen. been using server version sice it came out an everythings been fine til this week.

x88dually

well, that was a wate of time...uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted again, and opened emby to the same user name or password incorrect

well, that was a wate of time...uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted again, and opened emby to the same user name or password incorrect

Are you using Emby connect or manual?

it happened because you waited too long to update. Now the version you went to.. may not have mitigation to help port you up to this version. Not sure really. I can tell you why the Roku does things it does. I am quite intimate in that regard to the code. Can tell you where each function lives on each street corner the exact address. But the server I am not intimate with that code. I only am familiar with a few parts there that relate directly to the Roku. The part I cannot tell you is if moving from 3.5.3 -> 4.1.1.0 would cause you grief. I think there were updates in between those versions. Now those are skipped. If there were DB changes to port your things over now this isn't done in the later version. Possibly. Not sure. I'm not intimate with that server code. @@Luke would have to chime in he has that expertice.

x88dually

v4.1.1.0 was a virgin install on a virgin install of win7.

3.5.3 was uninstalled then when 4.1.1.0 didnt work i uninstalled it, scrubbed the drive, deleted other files, defragged it, rebooted, then installed 3.5.3

manual

Edited by x88dually

why all of a sudden did this happen. been using server version sice it came out an everythings been fine til this week.

Because we assume people update. We keep outdated code in the app for only so long. Then we set code in the app to tell users to update their server from their old version to the new version or the app doesn't run. Just says update your server. Then does nothing.

We cannot keep deprecated old code in the app to support all the older server versions. That is madness. We have to point towards the future. We try to keep the old server support for 60-90 days at least so users have time to upgrade before we set a new limit for server version in the app.

Is this what happened?

Did the Roku app tell you to update your server at any point? Or was it straight to the invalid user/password combination error?

Edited by speechles

x88dually

a few of the other older users think is ; when you roll out a new version, a week later a quick fix patch comes out because the previous version didnt get done right the first time. Which really doesnt instill any confidence in things going smoothly, so the stay with older working for them versions.

So your forced updates are like microsoft forcing us on win 10, then forcing updates that break and crash pc's and laptops. Emby does the same thing. And your forced updates are currently breaking things.

Roku didnt come up with a out of date app thing, BUT my androids do when i'm out of home.

roku went straight to invalid error

x88dually

I'm still in v3.5.3 because of issues with 4.0.1.0 and 4.1.1.0 on 2 different emby server machines.

a few of the other older users think is ; when you roll out a new version, a week later a quick fix patch comes out because the previous version didnt get done right the first time. Which really doesnt instill any confidence in things going smoothly, so the stay with older working for them versions.

So your forced updates are like microsoft forcing us on win 10, then forcing updates that break and crash pc's and laptops. Emby does the same thing. And your forced updates are currently breaking things.

Roku didnt come up with a out of date app thing, BUT my androids do when i'm out of home.

roku went straight to invalid error

Roku forces the app to update and their firmware to update. The only reason we have a forced check for the version on the server is when database changes occur. Which should be less frequent now that 3.5.3->4.1.1 . The issue is the future. Everything updates. We then need to support all these variables for different things that changed. Over time this maintenance to keep all these older versions working actually hampers development. It slows it down. Since we now have to devote time/resources to making sure we don't break the app for users who don't want to upgrade their server. In doing that we punish the people who updated. It has to work the opposite way. We have to sort of punish the users who didn't upgrade eventually with that nag to upgrade their server. Mainly because of time/cost and how hard it is to keep that supported. It takes away from the future to support too far into the past. You have to draw the line somewhere. You do understand, right? This isn't us being mean. It is us having to keep current. Having to work with tomorrow. Having time only move forward is the enemy. Make time stop. Then you will get what you want.

Edited by speechles

x88dually

i never get what i want with emby, everytime i did update, there were always issues that cost me days of nagging family on my butt because of your software, so to make things on me easier, i stick with what works for me. Can you understand that ?

now, ur tricks havent worked so far, can we move on to either the samsung issue or the issue of why i'm still on v3.5.3 ?

x88dually

i have 2027 tv shows an over 2200 movies on 48 Tb while workin 50 hr weeks, so i need everything easy as possible. And when servers, apps, mobiles, devices or tv's  mess up, i dont have a relaxing weekend.

I'm in my 50's an need things calm.

Can you understand that ?

Edited by x88dually

x88dually

now, ur tricks havent worked so far, can we move on to either the samsung issue or the issue of why i'm still on v3.5.3 ?

guess you missed that question.

guess you missed that question.

I noticed it. I assumed you were stubborn and like a mule wanted to be forced into updating. Pulled and pushed along. Rather than just following along like the horses.

@@Luke *ding*

Edited by speechles

i have 2027 tv shows an over 2200 movies on 48 Tb while workin 50 hr weeks, so i need everything easy as possible. And when servers, apps, mobiles, devices or tv's  mess up, i dont have a relaxing weekend.

I'm in my 50's an need things calm.

Can you understand that ?

I am 49 turning 50 this year. I have well over 42K episodes, well over 1,300 tv shows, and over 12K movies. No need to say how many TB and keep going. But I feel ya. I am 49 and still coding this stuff. I am no spring chicken. Maybe that is the misconception? For some reason Roku coders are rare. Those who know how to do what I can do are very very rare.

I want you to be happy. I want you calm. I want you at peace. You, your media, your way. But there is a problem. That problem isn't between us as people. We are just trying to help you. We have to ask questions. I am sorry you have an issue. Please stay with us and lets see if @@Luke has any insight or different ways to solve this. It isn't just to make you run circles. I am not trying to get you to exercise. I am trying to solve your issue. If nothing I have done so far has any use then it is time to call up a supervisor. @@Luke *ding ding*

Edited by speechles

x88dually

You had me try 2 things. Do you know of any others ?

What about the 4.1.1.0 issue ? i get server/user name, collections amnd trailer icons.  NO TV, Movies, Collections and Trailer icons with v4.x.x.x. The settings for the folder view and user view are gone. I clicik into user/server name icon and get a folder for each of the 8 drives.

How do i get my old way back ?  starting a virgin install reight now of win7, so....i either go with old server ver or new ver.

You had me try 2 things. Do you know of any others ?

What about the 4.1.1.0 issue ? i get server/user name, collections amnd trailer icons.  NO TV, Movies, Collections and Trailer icons with v4.x.x.x. The settings for the folder view and user view are gone. I clicik into user/server name icon and get a folder for each of the 8 drives.

How do i get my old way back ?  starting a virgin install reight now of win7, so....i either go with old server ver or new ver.

You may need to visit your user settings on the dashboard.

It may have reset your privilege for that user in regards to library access or otherwise.

Especially if you skipped versions on an upgrade.

Win7? NOOO!! That dies very very soon and the hackers are waiting like rabid dogs to then probe away with no rescue of patches for those who brave the windows 7 waters. Why no windows 10? You need the free update? There are ways to get it if you have legit windows 7 installed. It will still allow windows 10 upgrade for free. Don't believe the hype. But do believe that windows 7 is going to die a brutal death and you don't want to be using it when it goes into death throes.

Please read here: https://www.techradar.com/news/one-year-countdown-to-the-death-of-windows-7-begins

Edited by speechles