Transcoding green glitches

genfuzuki

genfuzuki

Hi, I seem to have an issue with transcoding some movies. Every now and then (four or five times a minute the video breaks up with a green distortion for a few seconds (attached). I have two examples of different movies transcoding from 1080p H264 to 720 on my Roku Locally and on my IOS app remote (Direct stream is fine) so assume it is when transcoding.

The server is an i5 with 16GB Ram and Intel 4000 GPU, SSD for Windows OS, SSD for Emby Cache and movies are on a USB3 Drobo. GPU is being used for transcoding and set to auto. Plex is also installed on the same server and does not suffer with these problems but would really like to uninstall so I can use Emby as my default media server.

Any ideas ?

post-89873-0-37771800-1558039913_thumb.png

Edited by genfuzuki

genfuzuki

In addition the has a headless display port adapter and logged on with Radmin to utilise the GPU

Happy2Play

You would need to post server and ffmpeg logs, but most of the topics about green screen points to hardware decoding issue.  There is no way to compare Plex and Emby unless you can provide exactly what the two programs are doing.

Happy2Play

Can I PM the logs to someone rather than make public ?

Yes Luke and add softworkz to the pm .

Edited by Happy2Play

@@Luke @@softworkz

The green indicates an issue possibly with hardware accelerated transcoding. This would be a premier feature. Priority goes up a bit here.

Did you PM the log files? You can add me to that PM as well. Thanks.

Yes Luke and add softworkz to the pm .

Thanks for sending the logs.

From the side of the conversion, everything is looking fine. None of the typical causes for color problems applies here:

• No HDR (10 bit) source vicdeo
  • No mixed transcoding
  • No subtitle burn-in
  • No GPU/System memory transfers

(scaling is done in the GPU directly)

The most likely cause are graphics drivers. There were issues in earlier versions of Intel graphics drivers causing the effect you are seeing.

We haven't seen this for quite a while, but your OS is seen rarely as well.

Windows 8 - not even 8.1, correct?

The first thing you should try is get the latest graphics driver from the Intel website.

But it seems that the latest driver for your CPU and for Windows 8 is from 2017.

You'll probably need to upgrade to Win 8.1 at least...

genfuzuki

Ok thanks for pointing to the drivers, I suspect I may have to rebuild then as this is running sever 2019 and don’t believe there are any for that OS.

Your logs are from Windows 8, not Server 2019.

But for 2019 you'll get current drivers because these are the same as for Windows 10.

genfuzuki

I think I had to install Windows 8 drivers to utilise QuickSync as the Windows 10 driver gives a ‘not compatible with your OS’ setup error. I also think I installed with compatibility mode as Windows 8 (hence the Os not reporting correctly).

Edited by genfuzuki

I think I had to install Windows 8 drivers to utilise QuickSync as the Windows 10 driver gives a ‘not compatible with your OS’ setup error. I also think I installed with compatibility mode as Windows 8 (hence the Os not reporting correctly).

You can try Windows 8.1 drivers (not Windows 8) from the Intel site. There's one for your CPU from May 2019 while the latest for Windows 8 is from 2017.

Also check the way you are starting up Emby Server. It seems you are running it in "compatibility mode". You should not do that.

• 2 weeks later...
neptunepic

I'm getting the green flickering with HDR content on 4.2.0.11-beta on Win10. Wasn't having this issue with the last non-beta version.

Might just revert back and see if that fixes the issue.

I'm getting the green flickering with HDR content on 4.2.0.11-beta on Win10. Wasn't having this issue with the last non-beta version.

Might just revert back and see if that fixes the issue.

Please see how to report a problem, and please use the Testing Area for beta related discussion. Thanks.