Duplicate Shows/Movies treated as one?

serpi

serpi

Hi all,

in case you wonder about the strange title, let me explain what my problem is.

I've just upgraded from MB2 to MB3/MPC.

Now it seems, the "watched" status is bind to the "id" of the episode/movie and not anymore to the filepath and -name.

Normally, this would be a good idea.

But now I have a problem with this.

There are items, that are basically the same tv show or movie but I have them in different folders (or even different drives).

Why would I do this?

Let me give you some examples.

1. Top Gear (UK, of course)

I have a folder with the original british version and another one with the german synchronized version.

Why?

The first one (the original, full length) is for me, the german version is shortened (45 minutes) but it is better to understand for my wife and kids.

2. 2D and 3D version of a movie

3. Movies in different versions (directors/alternate/extended cut, different languages etc).

Now, in MB3, when I watch one version of the movie/episode, the other versions (wich have the same imdb/tmdb/whatever id because it IS basically the same movie/episode) get also marked as "watched", which is not what I like to have!

Is there any way to stop this and mark these series/movies as individuals?

Thanks & Ciao,

Alfred

Beardyname

If your wife and kids have their own users this won't really matter will it ?

Since then the playback will be stored individually.

Sorry, no.  The way we are doing it now is a much better system 95% of the time.  Tying that information to a physical path made no real sense and meant it was all lost by simply changing a folder name.

For your first example, those items should have different tvdb IDs plus what beardy said about different users also have different watched status.

serpi

Sorry, no.  The way we are doing it now is a much better system 95% of the time.  Tying that information to a physical path made no real sense and meant it was all lost by simply changing a folder name.

For your first example, those items should have different tvdb IDs plus what beardy said about different users also have different watched status.

Of course, you are right, most time it is the better system now.

Only having different watched status for different users wouldn't really help, for some things it would only be a workaround.

Maybe, if there was some "sub-id" in the metadata, with default to "1" (if not set), to have items with the same tmdb/imdb id seperated.

This could then be set to "2", "3" etc. in the editor of a episode/show/movie and the watched status would be set for the combination "[id].[sub-id]".

This could even work with the build in metadata fetcher (I'm using metabrowser to get the data), the server simply has to see "oh, I already found this movie/show/episode with this imdb/tmdb id in some other place, so I will give it a higher sub-id and my user will be happy to have a perfect working watched status".

Ciao, Alfred