Shield Stuttering when direct playing a 4K Remux over the internet

crxo

Hi,

i switched from my local emby server to a vserver from a hoster company.

The vserver has a 1gbit connection and my home connection has 200mbits downstream.

When i try to play a 4k Remux (58mbit) on my nVidia Shield with the emby app the movie looks like switching from 30fps to 15fps to 30fps and so on.

But when i select "Use external player" in the emby app, and select for example kodi when starting the video, it plays without problems.

All other movies in 1080p are playing without issues.

As an illustration i will add two videos, one when using the internal emby player and one with Kodi as external player.

Thanks in advance! 

video.zip

That is an extremely high bitrate to be pulling across a remote connection but this could also just be the Nvidia problem with direct streaming.

If you lower the bitrate setting in the app so that the item transcodes, does it play smoothly?

Yes, but i watched the whole movie with Kodi as external player with no problems.

When I set the max. bitrate to 40mbps, the video gets transcoded and plays smoothly, but with washed out colours, cause of the missing HDR.

Okay, so this may or may not have anything to do with the remote connection (but that is still pretty high for a sustained bitrate over remote).

Is it possible for you to obtain the NVidia patch to see if that solves the issue?  I believe you need to PM "sniper" on the NVidia forums.

Alright, I will try it. Thank you!

But i thought this patch would fix only the stopping video issue?

Edited by crxo

No, it can be either.  From Viper:

we have a test image which resolves a network issue (wired and wireless) where high bit rate/high latency content stops playing/stutters.

Assuming that is the proper firmware with their fix, then this may just be too high a bitrate to handle over a remote connection.

But there must be some problem with the emby server/app. I also tried the same movie with a Plex Installation on the same server. It also runs without stuttering.

Is it possible to collect some logs from the emby app on the shield and provide it to you?

This only started happening when you moved your server to a remote machine, correct?

Yes, exactly. Playing 4K Remuxes from my local server works without issues. I think this has something to do with ping times.. ping to the remote server is something like 14-16ms

Yes, definitely could be a latency issue as that bitrate would not allow for much.

You could try increasing the buffering setting in the app (the one that says don't touch this unless told to).

Q-Droid

Do Kodi or other external players keep a buffer for the stream locally during playback? If they buffer and Emby doesn't this could explain the stuttering since the buffer would help with jitter and throughput variance. I'm just assuming the Emby app might not keep a buffer for the stream.

Q-Droid

AFAIK ExoPlayer is not a black box and each team may have chosen different options for implementation.

I already have changed this with no success :(

How about changing the start time to slow?

How about changing the start time to slow?

Where I can find this option?

EDIT:

I also tried it with the internal Emby App on my LG OLED, and there is also no stuttering.. But this is not an option because of no HD-Audio over ARC.

Edited by crxo

Where I can find this option?

Sorry, that's only a live TV option so it won't help.