37 replies to this topic

#21 Senna OFFLINE  

Senna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 833 posts
  • Local time: 07:17 AM

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:03 AM

First I have reset the video settings of the Apple TV 4K, the update has modified them. These are my settings:

Format: 4K HDR 4: 2: 2 (I'm missing the set display refresh rate here (24, 50, 60 ?)
Adjust to frame rate: Yes
Adjust Dynamic Range: Yes

Infuse & Plex 1080p SDR 24:

Frame Rate: Changed to 24
Dynamic Range: Changed to SDR

Infuse & Plex 720p SDR 25:

Frame Rate: Changed to 50
Color range: Changed to SDR

Infuse & Plex 4K HDR 23,976:

Frame Rate: Changed to 24
Color range: Changed to HDR

I don't have any 1080i 50 to test.

See also comment in red. but it looks like no problems for frame rate matching in tvOS 12.3 for 2 of your TV sets you tested above.

In the other TV, I get the same results but in 1080p SDR, changes to SDR 24, but the image blinks slightly. With Emby it doesn't blink (I suppose it's because it does not change frame rate and color range)

Also missing the set display refresh rate here for your 1080p SDR video settings in Apple TV.
What is blinking for you ? Do you mean stuttering, like a periodic slowdown in Movie played, like it skips frames periodically ?

Both TVs are Hisense, one with 55" and other with 49". It's strange. Before tvOS update both worked fine.
So I think something has changed in the way of changing frame rate and color range

EDIT: Disabling HDMI Enhanced Mode in my problematic TV, solved the problem. Now waiting 4K HDR support and frame rate switching in the new Apple TV App.

So from your findings, tvOS 12.3 CAN cause problems in apps, with some HDMI settings set in TV.

#22 Headfritz OFFLINE  

Headfritz

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 12:17 AM

Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:10 AM

From what I can discern the so call shuttering, or flicker, is thought out the app and not just in streaming of content. As I stated before the shutter, or refresh flicker is happens on the homes screen as well, you can see it, it is not separate issue, it the same issue as the flicker in the streaming.  Because of this I decide to downgrade my ATV back to 12.2.1 and because's I'll be dam if I'm going back to Plex until this issue is resolved ! Not doing it!  When I finished the downgrade and re logged back into the Emby app. Everything was back to normal. There was no Flickering on the home screen, nor in the streaming of movies, they all played smoothly. What ever Apple did, it's effect is thought out the app. 

#23 ACGriffiths OFFLINE  

ACGriffiths

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 03:17 PM

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:01 AM

Same problem here.
AppleTV 4th gen and 4K, both updated to 12.3, all media with the frame stutter/skip playback issue. And menus have an issue too. Scrolling along “latest added” and getting flicked back to start of list.

#24 Telli OFFLINE  

Telli

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 02:17 AM

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:55 AM

Same issue here...this really needs to be fixed...I have no flicker on home screen but all media micro stutters as other have said...

#25 ke2083 OFFLINE  

ke2083

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 06:17 AM

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:01 PM

Ditto here - the home screen (and library listings) all 'reload' every 5-15 seconds, so wherever you've scrolled to is lost.

Media playback also 'micro stutters'.  Again, every 15 seconds are so it will freeze for about ½ second then carry on.  I've tried tweaking the display settings (turning on/off the frame rate sync) but that didn't affect the issue.  My TV (an older LG model) is a bit lacking in configuration options so I can't play with refresh rates or anything.

Started 2-3 days ago when the box updated to the latest Apple TV OS.  Affects all media played through Emby (a variety of formats/containers/encodings).

If there's any other detail I can offer just shout  

#26 Hoochee OFFLINE  

Hoochee

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:11 PM

Same here. Server is on a Thecus N5550, played through AppleTV 4K w/ TVOS 12.3.

Edited by Hoochee, 20 May 2019 - 01:25 PM.

#27 unisoft OFFLINE  

unisoft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:16 PM

APPLE TV 4K 64GB:

Also getting listing of content reset whilst scrolling on released Emby for Apple TV (not beta).

Also getting worse than before jerky playback on interlaced content (1080i 50hz for HD or 720x576i 50 hertz for SD) H264 or MPEG2 content. Apple TV setup is correct.

Native progressive content at 1280x720p 50 frames seems fine.

Same videos, and videos play on LG TV fine and Roku to Samsung TV.

Interlaced content was also an issue on Emby for Apple TV before TV OS upgrade, but the jerkiness was even worse after TV OS 12.3. Was obvious as was worse immediately after upgrade reboot.

Edited by unisoft, 20 May 2019 - 04:20 PM.

#28 sfatula OFFLINE  

sfatula

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • LocationCalera, OK

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:15 AM

I have the pausing (stuttering) playback on 4th and 5th gen ATV also with TVOS 12.3, no menu issues and not seeing any issues in other apps we use. Philo plays perfectly, Amazon perfectly, etc. Fortunately, flying out for 4 weeks so maybe when I get back it will be resolved. Currently, the "new" ATV emby app that's been out a few months shows:

1. Bad black levels, kind of ruins darker scenes

2. Interlace lines for "i" content

3. Stuttering before TVOS 12.3, just not as bad. It's more like freeze frames for a good fraction of a second with TVOS 12.3

For tomorrow (last day before flying out), I may just play on IOS and Airplay it to the ATV.

For a variety of reasons, I wish the ATV Emby app would allow playback using MPV, and, playback using built in ATV player as it did before. In this way, should something go wrong with the MPV player implementation or until it is pretty stable and functional, at least we could use the app without the really bad or "unwatchable" quality. Deinterlacing was perfect, black levels were fine, no stuttering. For me, transcoding is not an issue at all, couldn't care less if it transcodes or not (server is super fast) and nothing wrong with options especially when things like this go wrong. Maybe even bring back the old app as a second app in the app store as a workaround for now if that were possible.

#29 Jonathan1683 OFFLINE  

Jonathan1683

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 10:17 PM

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:26 AM

I am also having this issue please fix. Can we downgrade or force transcoding will that help? Happening on both my apple tvs one is a 4k and one is the previous one to the 4k

Edited by Jonathan1683, 21 May 2019 - 01:27 AM.

#30 jacotec OFFLINE  

jacotec

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:51 AM

@Jonathan1683 yes, I've downgraded my ATV to 12.2.2 and I'm back to working condition.
You should not take too much time as it's not known how long Apple signs 12.2.2
  • Jonathan1683 likes this

#31 LoganSpragg OFFLINE  

LoganSpragg

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 06:17 PM

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:21 AM

App is fine on iPhone app, but when I am just sitting on the home screen or screen of TV Shows/Movies everything will disappear from the screen for a split second and then return. It will do this every 10-15 seconds.

It’s definitely only emby as Netflix is sweet, and Lightbox. It’s not the HDMI Cable as it is happening on both our Apple Tvs. It’s not the TVs or projector either as gaming on these are fine.

I’ve deleted off both and redownloaded. Same thing persists. I have a video on my phone, unsure if I can upload here, but I do have it if it doing it.

So annoying as it makes shows unwatchable

#32 LoganSpragg OFFLINE  

LoganSpragg

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:31 AM

I created a new thread, but I have the same problem. It shutters when you are looking at Movies, TV Shows, Continue Watching.

When looking Scrolling through Movies it just having it sit there it doesn’t happen, but TV shows it does? Weird.

Happens at a 15 second intervals.

Hope we get a fix soon, it’s so annoying :(

Running a Apple TV Gen 3 and Apple TV 4K happening on both. Both are fully updated too.

#33 Senna OFFLINE  

Senna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 833 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:29 AM

You know we have a dedicated Apple TV forum section ? :rolleyes:

#34 LoganSpragg OFFLINE  

LoganSpragg

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:19 PM

Yes and I found this topic too haha

#35 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 127006 posts
  • Local time: 01:17 AM

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:21 PM

Hi, we have commented about this in other topics but we are looking to get a fix out for the refresh problem in the next day or so. Thanks.

#36 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 127006 posts
  • Local time: 01:17 AM

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:18 PM

Please restart the app and see how it compares. Thanks guys.

#37 ke2083 OFFLINE  

ke2083

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:20 PM

Much better! No playback stuttering- thanks a bunch 😊

#38 Piteur OFFLINE  

Piteur

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:29 PM

Yeah, the problem looks like solved, thank you :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users