Serious playback issues after TVOS update to 12.3

jacotec
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

jacotec

Since my ATV4 was updated to IOS 12.3 I can't use it anymore with Emby  :(  I have horrible playback stutter, tried several episodes - even older ones which have not had any issues before. App version is 1.4.1 which seems to be the latest.

Playback is direct play ... so the server is not even transcoding.

I can't watch anymore in my living room due to this issue - any idea or anyone suffering the same?

Update: Installed EmbyCon on my CoreElec Kodi box, so I can watch. All is playing fine here. It's definitely only related to the ATV app.

Edited by jacotec

iwils

Since my ATV4 was updated to IOS 12.3 I can't use it anymore with Emby  :(  I have horrible playback stutter, tried several episodes - even older ones which have not had any issues before. App version is 1.4.1 which seems to be the latest.

Playback is direct play ... so the server is not even transcoding.

I can't watch anymore in my living room due to this issue - any idea or anyone suffering the same?

Update: Installed EmbyCon on my CoreElec Kodi box, so I can watch. All is playing fine here. It's definitely only related to the ATV app.

Hello,

I have the same problem as jacotec, since the update 12.3 on my Apple TV 4K, Emby becomes unusable.

All videos stutter when playing...

Will there be a patch soon?

Sincerely

corey

I did a bit of spot testing this evening of some different video content on my Apple TV that’s been updated to tvOS 12.3 and I’m not experiencing these issues. I suspect it’s something to do with the specific media being played.

For the user’s that are can you provide your model of AppleTV and the media information for the items that aren’t playing back correctly?

If you can PM me a link to a video file I can download and try on my setup that’d be ideal.

Thank you!

Senna

@@Luke & @corey

I suspect a refresh rate issue now with tvOS 12.3 that the app doesn't handle correctly.

Content with a different refresh rate than Apple TV video settings, causes periodic stuttering now with tvOS 12.3 and because the MPV player core doesn't do automatic refresh rate switching, problems are NOW clearly visible in tvOS 12.3, compared to tvOS 12.2. Issue is present in stable release Emby app AND in 1.4.2 beta 11 app.

When content matches Apple TV video settings with refresh rate, issue seems NOT to be present.

corey

@@Senna

Can you provide me a sample file? Does this issue persist when the frame rate match setting is enabled or not?

Senna

What's the use of Apple TV "Match Content" frame rate match setting for the Emby Apple TV app, when the Emby app doesn't do ANY automatic refresh rate switching ?

With tvOS 12.3, it seems the only way to watch content stutter free with the Emby app seems to be, that the user has to set the Apple TV "Format Video settings" to the content resolution and refresh rate, without using "Match Content" for frame rate matching.Using Match content frame rate matching, is making the matter worse now with the Emby app in tvOS 12.3 (Tested on 24 & 50fps content)

So for watching different content in the Emby app, with different frame rates like 24 (movies), 50 (European broadcast standard), 60 (US broadcast standard), the user has to change the Video format settings in Apple TV EACH time, to watch stutter free.

Spending dev resources on implementing "Automatic Refresh rate switching" for the Emby Apple TV app is much needed now @@Luke

Edited by Senna

corey

@@Senna

Can you provide me with a sample file so I can take a look at this on my setup please? I have my Apple TV Match Content set to Range and Frame Rate with the Format setting at 4K HDR @ 60hz and I don’t see these issues when playing a movie that has a frame rate at approximately 24fps.

Thunderspell

I am having the same issue after updating my ATV.

It is really frustrating, those shuttering is very annoying while watching any content.

It is defintly an issue that appeared after ATV update to “tvOS 12.3”

We need a fix or a work around for that issue please

Piteur

Hi, same problem and I was even thinking about a hardware problem with my server. Hopefully it's not, just a problem on last Apple TV update since the same videos are played like a charm on iPad (both in direct play).

ATV setup in 1080p60.

vdatanet

Hi, I have only Apple TV 4K attached to a Full HD TV without framerate switch, all is playing fine. I have another Apple TV 4K attached to a 4K TV with automatic framerate switch, I have horrible playback. The image flashes continuously. By the way, Plex and Infuse does the same. Something must changed in Apple TV 12.3

jacotec

I only have a full HD TV and it's stuttering like hell - independent of the setting of the automatic framerate switch in the ATV settings.

My ATV is set to 1080p 50Hz. The content is 720p and 25Hz.

Is there a way to configure a "force transcode" for the ATV user until the issue is fixed in the app? I have a serious "WAF issue" and don't want to explain the workaround using embycon via Kodi.

Senna

Did some testing with Apple TV 4K set to 1080p SDR 60, to see which apps still do Content Frame Rate matching in tvOS 12.3:

Content tested:

A. 1080p 24fps (Movies)

B. 1080p 25fps (Live TV recordings)

C. 1080i 50fps (Live TV European broadcast)

Infuse 5.9.6 Pro:

Content frame rate matching OK for A+B (Infuse doesn't do C > Live TV)

MrMC 3.8.1:

Content frame rate matching OK for A+B.

NO content frame rate matching for C, BUT when playing C in MrMC, NO periodic stuttering is present

Plex 2.2 beta (Plex beta server 1.15.5.994)

Content frame rate matching OK for A+B+C !!!

(all content from A+B+C was direct played by Plex app)

@@vdatanet

Can you test the above with same Apple TV video settings in Infuse and Plex, because with above settings, I don't have ANY problems in both mentioned apps.

Why you may ask, just to see if video resolution settings, messes things up now in tvOS 12.3.

vdatanet

Did some testing with Apple TV 4K set to 1080p SDR 60, to see which apps still do Content Frame Rate matching in tvOS 12.3:

Content tested:

A. 1080p 24fps (Movies)

Infuse 5.9.6 Pro:

MrMC 3.8.1:

NO content frame rate matching for C, BUT when playing C in MrMC, NO periodic stuttering is present

@@vdatanet

Can you test the above with same Apple TV video settings in Infuse and Plex, because with above settings, I don't have ANY problems in both mentioned apps.

Why you may ask, just to see if video resolution settings, messes things up now in tvOS 12.3.

Hi, I have 3 Apple TV 4K with different settings:

1. Full HD TV: Format Settings 1080p 50 Hz SDR, content framerate: Off. Everything works OK
  2. 4K HDR TV: Format Settings 4K HDR, content framerate matching: On, color matching: On. Everything works OK (Instead playing 4K HDR with Emby, of course)
  3. 4K HDR TV: Format Settings 4K SDR, content framerate matching: On, color matching: On, The image flashes continuously in all applications, Emby, Plex, Infuse ... I've tried to change to 4K HDR with same result, turned off framerate matching and color matching to Off, and same result. It seems this TV doesn't like Apple TV. In the same TV I have an Nvidia Shield with HDR enabled with no problem. Something changed in tvOS 12.3.

@@Senna

Tonight I'll do the tests you request.

Edited by vdatanet

vdatanet

Content tested:

A. 1080p 24fps (Movies)

Infuse 5.9.6 Pro:

MrMC 3.8.1:

@@vdatanet

First I have reset the video settings of the Apple TV 4K, the update has modified them. These are my settings:

Format: 4K HDR 4: 2: 2
Adjust to frame rate: Yes
Adjust Dynamic Range: Yes

Infuse & Plex 1080p SDR 24:

Frame Rate: Changed to 24
Dynamic Range: Changed to SDR

Infuse & Plex 720p SDR 25:

Frame Rate: Changed to 50
Color range: Changed to SDR

Infuse & Plex 4K HDR 23,976:

Color range: Changed to HDR

I don't have any 1080i 50 to test.

In the other TV, I get the same results but in 1080p SDR, changes to SDR 24, but the image blinks slightly. With Emby it doesn't blink (I suppose it's because it does not change frame rate and color range)

Both TVs are Hisense, one with 55" and other with 49". It's strange. Before tvOS update both worked fine.

So I think something has changed in the way of changing frame rate and color range

EDIT: Disabling HDMI Enhanced Mode in my problematic TV, solved the problem. Now waiting 4K HDR support and framerate switching in the new Apple TV App.
Edited by vdatanet

jacotec

Any feedback @@Luke @@corey ?

Can you reproduce the issue? Any estimations for a fix?

Meanwhile I'm trying to downgrade my ATV back to 12.2.1 ... seems that it's still being signed by Apple

Headfritz

I've notice that you don't have to stream any contain to notice the shuttering or flickering, just go to the home screen and you will notice it there was well.

I also know of two other people that are experiencing this same issue.  :( 

vdatanet

I've notice that you don't have to stream any contain to notice the shuttering or flickering, just go to the home screen and you will notice it there was well.

I also know of two other people that are experiencing this same issue.  :(

That's an issue of the home screen, it refreshes every 15 seconds. Libraries doesn't flicker.

Senna

First I have reset the video settings of the Apple TV 4K, the update has modified them. These are my settings:

Format: 4K HDR 4: 2: 2 (I'm missing the set display refresh rate here (24, 50, 60 ?)

Adjust to frame rate: Yes

Adjust Dynamic Range: Yes

Infuse & Plex 1080p SDR 24:

Dynamic Range: Changed to SDR

Infuse & Plex 720p SDR 25:

Frame Rate: Changed to 50

Color range: Changed to SDR

Infuse & Plex 4K HDR 23,976:

Color range: Changed to HDR

I don't have any 1080i 50 to test.

See also comment in red. but it looks like no problems for frame rate matching in tvOS 12.3 for 2 of your TV sets you tested above.

In the other TV, I get the same results but in 1080p SDR, changes to SDR 24, but the image blinks slightly. With Emby it doesn't blink (I suppose it's because it does not change frame rate and color range)

Also missing the set display refresh rate here for your 1080p SDR video settings in Apple TV.

What is blinking for you ? Do you mean stuttering, like a periodic slowdown in Movie played, like it skips frames periodically ?

Both TVs are Hisense, one with 55" and other with 49". It's strange. Before tvOS update both worked fine.

So I think something has changed in the way of changing frame rate and color range

EDIT: Disabling HDMI Enhanced Mode in my problematic TV, solved the problem. Now waiting 4K HDR support and frame rate switching in the new Apple TV App.

So from your findings, tvOS 12.3 CAN cause problems in apps, with some HDMI settings set in TV.

Headfritz

From what I can discern the so call shuttering, or flicker, is thought out the app and not just in streaming of content. As I stated before the shutter, or refresh flicker is happens on the homes screen as well, you can see it, it is not separate issue, it the same issue as the flicker in the streaming.  Because of this I decide to downgrade my ATV back to 12.2.1 and because's I'll be dam if I'm going back to Plex until this issue is resolved ! Not doing it!  When I finished the downgrade and re logged back into the Emby app. Everything was back to normal. There was no Flickering on the home screen, nor in the streaming of movies, they all played smoothly. What ever Apple did, it's effect is thought out the app. 

ACGriffiths

Same problem here.

AppleTV 4th gen and 4K, both updated to 12.3, all media with the frame stutter/skip playback issue. And menus have an issue too. Scrolling along “latest added” and getting flicked back to start of list.

Telli

Same issue here...this really needs to be fixed...I have no flicker on home screen but all media micro stutters as other have said...

ke2083

Ditto here - the home screen (and library listings) all 'reload' every 5-15 seconds, so wherever you've scrolled to is lost.

Media playback also 'micro stutters'.  Again, every 15 seconds are so it will freeze for about ½ second then carry on.  I've tried tweaking the display settings (turning on/off the frame rate sync) but that didn't affect the issue.  My TV (an older LG model) is a bit lacking in configuration options so I can't play with refresh rates or anything.

Started 2-3 days ago when the box updated to the latest Apple TV OS.  Affects all media played through Emby (a variety of formats/containers/encodings).

If there's any other detail I can offer just shout