• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 cryobyte33 OFFLINE  

cryobyte33

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Local time: 01:42 AM

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:19 PM

Hey everyone, I've looked at all the other topics that have been created on this and nothing seems to have fixed it for me, but when I scan my library it hangs at 86.4% forever (left it for 3 days). I've tried on version 4.1.1.0 and now am on beta 4.2.0.5 with no luck.

I'm on a CentOS 7 LXC container (privileged), my library is mounted over NFSv3 with ACL support disabled to remove it from the picture, no_root_squash as a troubleshooting measure, and everything is owned by the emby user and group with a permission of 777 (parent folders and all).

This seems to be the only thing relevant in embyserver.txt:

2019-05-15 15:46:25.887 Info TaskManager: IntervalTrigger fired for task: Scan media library
2019-05-15 15:46:25.887 Info TaskManager: Queueing task RefreshMediaLibraryTask
2019-05-15 15:46:25.887 Info TaskManager: Executing Scan media library
2019-05-15 15:46:25.890 Info LibraryMonitor: Stopping directory watching for path /media/Videos/Movies
2019-05-15 15:46:25.892 Info LibraryMonitor: Stopping directory watching for path /media/Videos/TV
2019-05-15 15:46:25.895 Info App: Validating media library

My library was previously scanned and worked just fine, then I rebooted and it just stopped working.

Please let me know if you need anything else, this is driving me insane!

Attached Files

#2 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 142617 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:31 PM

Hi, what you can do is go into your library settings and disable features that you don't need. That is one way to speed up the library scan.

#3 cryobyte33 OFFLINE  

cryobyte33

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:43 PM

Hi Luke, my family and I really love the software you've built here!

I've tried disabling almost everything, including stuff I'd like to have. This doesn't seem to be a result of slowness, but rather just Emby hanging indefinitely similar to these:

https://emby.media/c...topping-at-864/

https://emby.media/c...-library-stuck/

https://emby.media/c...h-library-scan/

#4 MRobi OFFLINE  

MRobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Local time: 02:42 AM

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:36 PM

Hi Luke, my family and I really love the software you've built here!

I've tried disabling almost everything, including stuff I'd like to have. This doesn't seem to be a result of slowness, but rather just Emby hanging indefinitely similar to these:

https://emby.media/c...topping-at-864/

https://emby.media/c...-library-stuck/

https://emby.media/c...h-library-scan/

Do you have a big library? Mine takes on average 2 days to scan in from scratch because it's quite large. Once it's scanned in then I add features like the chapter image extraction which can take up to a week to go through them all. I've noticed during the initial scan, it does seem to make it's way to 80%+ within the first 15-20 minutes then seems to take forever to finish. I don't find the % indicator to be an accurate portrayal of the progress.

#5 cryobyte33 OFFLINE  

cryobyte33

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:54 PM

Do you have a big library? Mine takes on average 2 days to scan in from scratch because it's quite large. Once it's scanned in then I add features like the chapter image extraction which can take up to a week to go through them all. I've noticed during the initial scan, it does seem to make it's way to 80%+ within the first 15-20 minutes then seems to take forever to finish. I don't find the % indicator to be an accurate portrayal of the progress.

My library is pretty large, yes, but I don't do image extraction or anything fancy. I just get basic metadata, a single subtitle language and cover artwork. Like I said, prior to my reboot it worked perfectly fine and would take about 12 hours to complete, Post reboot it hung for 54 hours straight with no progress.

#6 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2970 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:45 PM

Have you checked your DB for corruption?

#7 cryobyte33 OFFLINE  

cryobyte33

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:46 PM

I have not, I didn't know that was a thing. Are there official instructions to do so?

#8 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 142617 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:15 PM

This log only covers about 20 minutes of time. can you please attach a larger one that covers a longer period of time? thanks.

#9 cryobyte33 OFFLINE  

cryobyte33

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:27 PM

This log only covers about 20 minutes of time. can you please attach a larger one that covers a longer period of time? thanks.

Of course, here's one that seems to span 7 hours

#10 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 142617 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:07 AM

Hi there, did you forget to attach the log?

#11 cryobyte33 OFFLINE  

cryobyte33

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:26 AM

So I did >_<

Apparently browsed but didn't press attach this file, sorry about that.

Attached Files

#12 cryobyte33 OFFLINE  

cryobyte33

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:55 AM

Hey there, sorry to resurrect this, but has anyone had time to look at the log? The scan is still stuck at 86.4%.

#13 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 16605 posts
  • Local time: 10:42 PM
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:47 PM

Hey there, sorry to resurrect this, but has anyone had time to look at the log? The scan is still stuck at 86.4%.

You could need to post a server log.  But just because the progress indicator/percentage is slow or does not change for awhile does not mean it is stuck.

#14 cryobyte33 OFFLINE  

cryobyte33

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:00 PM

You could need to post a server log.  But just because the progress indicator/percentage is slow or does not change for awhile does not mean it is stuck.

I posted the log a few comments above. As I said, it has now been stuck since the 15th, 9 days ago. Previously, with this exact library, the scan finished within 2 hours.

#15 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2994 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:05 PM

I have about 600 movies and thousands of TV episodes and mine has never taken anywhere near this long. The first BIF extraction took about a day but now it is instant on adding new content.

Either you have a very huge library or a very slow machine for a server or both..

#16 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 142617 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:50 PM

Can you please attach a new emby server log? thanks.

#17 MRobi OFFLINE  

MRobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Local time: 02:42 AM

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:09 PM

I have about 600 movies and thousands of TV episodes and mine has never taken anywhere near this long. The first BIF extraction took about a day but now it is instant on adding new content.

Either you have a very huge library or a very slow machine for a server or both..

About 3k movies, Almost 1k series (so tens of thousands of episodes), then there's music, pictures, audiobooks. I have 20x 4tb drives in use right now. The server has dual e5-2690v2 so each processor has 8 cores @ 3ghz, and 96gb ram. It's definitely because of the size of the library not the speed of the server. I haven't been able to make this thing crack a sweat yet :)

Sent from my LYA-L0C using Tapatalk
  • Sammy likes this

#18 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2994 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:42 PM

About 3k movies, Almost 1k series (so tens of thousands of episodes), then there's music, pictures, audiobooks. I have 20x 4tb drives in use right now. The server has dual e5-2690v2 so each processor has 8 cores @ 3ghz, and 96gb ram. It's definitely because of the size of the library not the speed of the server. I haven't been able to make this thing crack a sweat yet :)

Sent from my LYA-L0C using Tapatalk

Well that should do it but with a library that size it is going to take a while. Just let it run but watch your temps.

#19 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2970 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:31 AM

I don't know if it's a library size thing or just something invalid causing a halt somewhere.  I've got a rather large library myself and the only time I've seen something stuck is when the database gets corrupted or a file somewhere is corrupt and Emby isn't handling an error correctly.  SQLite isn't the best DB handling crashes or spontaneous reboots/crashes.  Certainly not saying this is the issue but you should perform a database check.

At a minimum I'd shut Emby down and try a "sqlite3 library.db "PRAGMA integrity_check"

You can google the Pragma integrity_check for directions.

Another thing you could try to narrow down the problem to a particular library is to restart Emby then do a library refresh one by one (start with smallest and work your way up). You can "cat" your log file to watch progress and see it working vs just looking at the status display as well.

I'd offer to TeamView or remote in and give you a hand but I'm not familiar enough with your OS and wouldn't feel comfortable enough to help in this regard.

BTW, have you thought about starting to replace your 4 TB drives with bigger ones yet?  12 TB drives are pretty reasonable these days and really help with density.

#20 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 142617 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 03:20 PM

@cryobyte33 can you please attach a new emby server log? thanks!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: scan, library, 86.4, stuck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users