#21 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 15358 posts
  • Local time: 11:50 PM
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:27 PM

And discussions like these get shutdown pretty quickly as they have absolutely nothing to do with Emby presenting your personally owned media.

Edited by Happy2Play, 16 May 2019 - 10:34 PM.

#22 GrimReaper76 OFFLINE  

GrimReaper76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • Local time: 08:50 AM
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:01 AM

And discussions like these get shutdown pretty quickly as they have absolutely nothing to do with Emby presenting your personally owned media.

Personally, I couldn't care less about Private Trackers and such, and the reason I'm in this thread is media manipulation, as stated few posts before. See no reason why, then, discussion should be shut down.

#23 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 15358 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:54 PM

And it is already been answered within this topic many times.  Local metadata and images will always take first priority, then if none exist Emby will move to localized images/database metadata.  Doing a Refresh replace all/replace existing will honor the setting per library and clear anything with media that you have selected not to be there.

So everything is working by design. 

You need a feature request to ignore "all metadata/images with media".

• GrimReaper76 likes this

#24 GrimReaper76 OFFLINE  

GrimReaper76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:12 PM

And it is already been answered within this topic many times. Local metadata and images will always take first priority, then if none exist Emby will move to localized images/database metadata. Doing a Refresh replace all/replace existing will honor the setting per library and clear anything with media that you have selected not to be there.

So everything is working by design.

You need a feature request to ignore "all metadata/images with media".

Surely will, although internal logic by which Emby is allowed to act on user files without permission is a faulty one. Reasons for extra files present in media folder are irrelevant (whether some other programs use it or it is a personal quirk or anything other that someone can come up with), what's relevant is that Emby should be limited to manipulating own database and associated folders, i.e. Metadata folder, unless specifically being given permission to by kepping media files with one's media.
I have absolutely zero use for either Personal Trackers or image files in folders (which is not to say I MIGHT NOT have some day), however I'm not willing to give any program an all-out on my folders - it being Emby or any other - as I'm sure you wouldn't either, without explicit permission.
As far as discussion goes, thread name "The cover one was deleted by Emby" is - as far as I am concerned - completely legitimate one and despite it being sidetracked midways or reasons for the originator to post in the first place, the core issue still persists: Emby acting on its own.

Cheers

#25 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2936 posts
  • Local time: 02:50 AM

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:53 PM

Emby gives you control over where the meta data lives on your system.  If it's important that images in the directories of your files don't change, set Emby up to not store the images with the files.

Assuming you ARE storing images with video files and choosing REPLACE images, then images will be replaced when you run this.  People would be upset if it didn't do that.  That is it's purpose!

#26 GrimReaper76 OFFLINE  

GrimReaper76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:06 PM

Emby gives you control over where the meta data lives on your system. If it's important that images in the directories of your files don't change, set Emby up to not store the images with the files.

Assuming you ARE storing images with video files and choosing REPLACE images, then images will be replaced when you run this. People would be upset if it didn't do that. That is it's purpose!

That IS what I'm talking about, it was NEVER selected to keep images in media folders, file got deleted with that option OFF - and that should not happen.

Cheers

#27 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 15358 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:35 PM

Do to the design of existing images and metadata take priority over settings.  Currently you can only remove the nfo plugin to stop reading and writing the nfo with media.  There is no option to ignore images currently.

#28 GrimReaper76 OFFLINE  

GrimReaper76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:37 PM

FR
https://emby.media/c...es/#entry743569

Cheers

#29 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46431 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 08:58 AM

That IS what I'm talking about, it was NEVER selected to keep images in media folders, file got deleted with that option OFF - and that should not happen.

Cheers

I believe that subtlety would be lost on most users.  If they select an option to replace the image they are looking at then they expect it to be replaced.

The fact that we always give local images priority means that the only image you will ever see is the one stored with the media if it is there.  The system should be able to modify that image if requested to do so.

Whether or not Emby put that image there would be impossible to properly track and is largely irrelevant to most installations.

#30 GrimReaper76 OFFLINE  

GrimReaper76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 18 May 2019 - 09:50 AM

I believe that subtlety would be lost on most users. If they select an option to replace the image they are looking at then they expect it to be replaced.

The fact that we always give local images priority means that the only image you will ever see is the one stored with the media if it is there. The system should be able to modify that image if requested to do so.

Whether or not Emby put that image there would be impossible to properly track and is largely irrelevant to most installations.

This looks like a two front battle, but nevertheless, although my English may be lacking I'm sure I did got my point across:
Emby should not delete any file unless being given permission.
I didn't give it.
Yet it still did delete.
That's a no-no.
If it was a child, you'd spank it. ;)

Cheers

#31 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46431 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 10:19 AM

Emby should not delete any file unless being given permission.

When you say "Replace all images"  you are not considering that you gave Emby permission to delete that file?

#32 GrimReaper76 OFFLINE  

GrimReaper76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 18 May 2019 - 10:30 AM

When you say "Replace all images" you are not considering that you gave Emby permission to delete that file?

Exactly, I did not, because I had absolutely no choice in the matter, image was pre-existing and server setup is database-only.
Feature Request link has more expansive explanation, maybe we could continue there not to jump the threads back and forth.

Cheers

#33 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 136138 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 11:25 AM

We can improve on that, thanks for the feedback.

#34 GrimReaper76 OFFLINE  

GrimReaper76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 18 May 2019 - 11:57 AM

We can improve on that, thanks for the feedback.

Thanks, Luke, looks like you understood my guiding thought.

Cheers

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: metadata, cover.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users