New plugin for NextPVR

emveepee

emveepee

Rather then using your patch replacing a custom md5 function with another custom md5 function  I replaced it with pure .NET

hashValue = System.Security.Cryptography.MD5.Create().ComputeHash(new UTF8Encoding().GetBytes(value));

which seems more logical anyway

Luke I noticed you actually removed this approach a couple of years ago and replaced it with custom code.  https://github.com/MediaBrowser/NextPVR/commit/ecf23fd3af04d61f152bc8853498c296d37dd26a#diff-924b75a154a49290dbb454e57263294eL143 Do you remember why?  The original code seems to make more sense.

Martin

At the time the api's weren't available in PCL's but with the advent of .net standard it's no longer needed anymore.

Ok great does that mean I can use .net's File.FileExists too?  

Martin

No, i would still continue to use our IFileSystem because the .net core api's do not support the smb protocol on linux, macos, etc. So our api sits in top to fill in that missing support.

emveepee

Ok good to know.  For the custom smb support  do I need to do anything to support Windows style UNC or will it take it directly?

Martin

emveepee

Ok  is there anyway to configure path substitution on the incoming filenames.  Now that NextPVR supports non Windows we cannot necessarily pass a UNC path to Emby.

Martin

Now that NextPVR supports non Windows we cannot necessarily pass a UNC path to Emby.

Why not?

Or i guess what i meant is, why can't you just preserve the original path? I believe what the "old" plugin is doing is making a call to fileexsists on the path to see if it is reachable, and if not then it uses the http url.

emveepee

I was thinking if an Emby client needed a transcoded file from the Emby server it would need the path rather than a direct play URL.

Martin

No, the protocol won't matter as it's the same file returned either way, right?

emveepee

Typically yes.  If there is no advantage I think I will always return the url and avoid the test altogether.

Martin

Typically yes.  If there is no advantage I think I will always return the url and avoid the test altogether.

Martin

I believe i may have ended up doing that in the plugin because checking file existence can take a long time if the path is referring to another machine, and that path is unreachable. Sometimes you end up having to wait for it to time out and fail. And also, it only tells you if the path was reachable at the time it was imported into emby server. That could be a different story later when the user actually tries to play.

• 3 weeks later...
emveepee

Is there a way to integrate the NextPVR recordings with the Emby library system and categories without needing scanning of the folders?

Martin

What do you mean by that? That's what the recordings channel should be doing.

emveepee

My understanding and I might be wrong on this because of a lack of understanding is using m3u tuner the recordings from NextPVR are integrated somehow with the Emby library system.  When they come in from NextPVR plugin the seem to be isolated.

Martin

My understanding and I might be wrong on this because of a lack of understanding is using m3u tuner the recordings from NextPVR are integrated somehow with the Emby library system.  When they come in from NextPVR plugin the seem to be isolated.

Martin

Exactly, they're piggybacking into the IChannel interface, which was designed to pull in media from arbitrary places. With this there is no scanning, the content just comes from what is reported by the IChannel implementation.

emveepee

I now that NextPVR recordings can come in without a scan but I don't know what you mean by "Exactly".  From an Emby UI perspective are recordings from NextPVR differently then recordings from m3u files?  I am trying to understand this user comment

"I use Emby to aggregate all of my other media (photos, videos etc..). I like the way Emby collects and displays EPG data in the same UI with all my other media. Can't do that with the plugin."  He said that m3u files are different

Martin

"I use Emby to aggregate all of my other media (photos, videos etc..). I like the way Emby collects and displays EPG data in the same UI with all my other media. Can't do that with the plugin."

As far as live tv content such as channels and the epg, this should not be much different between the native features and the plugins. I really don't know what this user is trying to say, unless they're thinking of recordings and/or just not being specific enough in their description.

I now that NextPVR recordings can come in without a scan but I don't know what you mean by "Exactly".  From an Emby UI perspective are recordings from NextPVR differently then recordings from m3u files?  I am trying to understand this user comment

"I use Emby to aggregate all of my other media (photos, videos etc..). I like the way Emby collects and displays EPG data in the same UI with all my other media. Can't do that with the plugin."  He said that m3u files are different

Martin

Maybe they're referring to the "Upcoming on TV" section on the series detail screen? That's all i can think of.

emveepee

If the user has a library of tvshows not from the pvr subsection, and also those from m3u would those be integrated better?

Martin

The series detail screen will show an upcoming on tv list, and also, the series images can be used for the corresponding series recording.

But that should be possible with the plugins, it's just that none are currently supplying the info needed to make those correlations. But I can provide info on that.

emveepee

Yes I am interested in this info. Logically this could be as straight forward as providing the 10 character Tribune identifier, although that would require changes for sub on the backend.

Martin

In the ProgramInfo object you need to add SeriesProviderIds. For example:

program.SeriesProviderIds["zap2it"] = zap2itId;

Then in addition to that, their series series in their library needs to have that provider id as well. That's not something you can control, it's just something you can tell them when they ask why it's not happening for a particular series.