New plugin for NextPVR

emveepee

emveepee

Is there any advantage of using a fixed Info.Id in the EPG update process?  Years ago we were told that the EPG import from NextPVR was slow because of the changing ID but I find that the EPG update from NextPVR for 200 channels is still pretty slow at 3-4 minutes with a fixed ID as a new import or with no changes.

Martin

emveepee

I noticed the ImageUrl field was also based on event id and changed that and again the speed is still the same.  Testing with a blank database is equally slow so I guess Emby is just designed around the EPG updates happening during off hours.

Loading into an empty database is still marginally faster though so maybe Emby update logic could be improved especially when nothing is changed.

Martin

Edited by emveepee

Hi Martin,

Yes there's still room for improvement. I'll take another pass at it in the coming days and see what improvements can be made. Thanks.

emveepee

I am running into the same issue with Kodi with their recent decision to persist the EPG database.  I was partially able to adapt to that, by changing the key and keeping an in memory map and I was eager to try this in Emby but was sadly disappointed.  If you can think of  any way I can help help let me know, it's talking about 2 seconds a channel right now, for a couple of 100 records.   One though would be a join on a UNIQUEID  table which for many NextPVR users is the tmsid and some of those repeat often in the table, especially the generic SH records

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

It's a generic delete dialog so that needs adjustment for recordings, but what will happen is is the delete request will be sent to the recordings channel (e.g. your channel).

emveepee

The names of plugins on the MediaBrowser github are a bit like the wild west.  Is there a way for you to rename the repo used for the NextPVR plugin? I'd like to tag and create a new branch for my initial commit and right now the name of NextPVR is not at all  descriptive and has even less context on my fork.

I suggest a standard approach so things like

Emby.Plugin.NextPVR

Emby.LiveTV.NextPVR

emby-plugin-nextpvr

are all far superior to what there is now.

Whatever you decide will become the dll name too.

Martin

emveepee

From lack of feedback I guess there are no standards so I will use emby-plugin-nextpvr  I don't want to have it called simply NextPvr.

Martin

Sorry, any of those are fine with me. I'm happy to rename the repo. Are you intending for the new plugin to update on top of the old one, or for it to be independant?

emveepee

I would like to submit it as a branch this works well for use with versions if your build system allows it.  That way both branches can be updated with new versions of the controller as necessary and this can be done in one repo.  I don't plan on supporting v4 so unless you have conversion the v5 branch will be master.

I would like to include an .editorconfig file though is there one for Emby?

Martin

emveepee

Also who generates the GUID for the plugin?  I assume it needs to change.

Martin

Edited by emveepee

OK so that means it will be an all-new plugin. That's fine.  

Also who generates the GUID for the plugin? 

You can. I usually just use the menu option in visual studio to generate one.

How should the two plugins be named? Should the new one denote v5, or should it just be Next Pvr, and change the old one to denote v4/legacy?

emveepee

Yes creating the GUID is no problem just confirming.

I was hoping to create a "legacy" branch at the current commit with master continuing to be version 5.  For naming I don't even try and build the NextPvr.dll so I guess legacy can keep everything as is, I will use plugin-nextpvr.dll and xml for the configuration.

I hate seeing NextPvr since I don't like abbreviations in PascalCase so it probably will be NextPVR for logging and plugin-nextpvr for the root folder.

I still hope the repo can be called emby-plugin-nextpvr so if you want to create and tag the legacy branch I can just fork it and continue with master.

Martin

• 3 months later...
emveepee
7 hours ago, Luke said:

If users install fresh now, do they get version 5?

Typically news users do install v5 but a existing and new users still use v4 for analog and Softcam support.  v4 it largely unsupported but stable  which is why I need a branch.

Also sorry @Luke  missed the message because I don't auto connect to the forum anymore because of some browser issues specific to this site.

Martin

On 8/3/2020 at 12:01 AM, emveepee said:

Typically news users do install v5 but a existing and new users still use v4 for analog and Softcam support.  v4 it largely unsupported but stable  which is why I need a branch.

Also sorry @Luke  missed the message because I don't auto connect to the forum anymore because of some browser issues specific to this site.

Martin

Thanks. I guess what I meant to ask is, for dummies who just click download on the website, do they get v4 or v5? I'm just wondering because if v5 is the default download now then I would have expected more users to be reporting problems about our next pvr plugin not working, given that the plugin in our catalog targets v4.

emveepee

It is a niche addon, I doubt there are that many users in total, after all there are just 129 downloads of the v5 addon since April, so that doesn't surprise me.  Plus m3u tuner users could use v5 without issue ad don't need the addon. 

The website does default to v5 but once users get to the forum I have seen users go back to v4.  There are still users (like Sven we developed the v4 addon) who need the analog tv support on Windows that only v4 supports.

Martin

• 5 months later...
emveepee

Trying to see if we can help users out by re-adding the addon with the extra security NextPVR requires I was wondering how to trigger a database change when the URL for recordings changes.  It seems like MediaItem type  8, 18, 5 and 11 don't update when the recording list is reloaded.    Does Emby treat the recording Path as static?

If so is there a call back where token changes can be addressed?

Martin

Edited by emveepee
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...