chyron8472

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Local time: 12:06 AM
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 13 May 2019 - 08:33 PM

Emby for Android v3.0.48

My wife wanted to sync a truckload of music files to her phone. I found, however, that for every song that completed, there is an individual notification for each and every file. That is, since there are more than a thousand songs being synced, there are more than a thousand notifications being generated, and the notification sound happens repeatedly with no way to stop it. In fact, so many notifications are being generate and in quick enough succession, that her phone UI is basically locking up, I assume until it's done generating them.

Please fix this. Make it so that Emby just has the one unified Android notification for downloads.

#2 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 127006 posts
  • Local time: 01:06 AM

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:48 AM

That's just the way the download manager works. The only choice would be to not have notifications at all.

#3 chef OFFLINE  

chef

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 3695 posts
  • LocationPeterborough, Canada

Posted 14 May 2019 - 12:09 PM

Emby for Android v3.0.48

My wife wanted to sync a truckload of music files to her phone. I found, however, that for every song that completed, there is an individual notification for each and every file. That is, since there are more than a thousand songs being synced, there are more than a thousand notifications being generated, and the notification sound happens repeatedly with no way to stop it. In fact, so many notifications are being generate and in quick enough succession, that her phone UI is basically locking up, I assume until it's done generating them.

Please fix this. Make it so that Emby just has the one unified Android notification for downloads.

😲

#4 chyron8472 OFFLINE  

chyron8472

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Local time: 12:06 AM
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:42 AM

I don't understand your reaction. Are you saying that's a surprising number of notifications, or a surprising number of downloads? Because I assure you, since sd card storage space is on the cheap, and synced files use no mobile data, it makes sense to sync many most much lots of music to one's phone. Especially if one listens to music a lot, which my wife does.

That's just the way the download manager works. The only choice would be to not have notifications at all.

Which is the choice that I have made---to disable notifications for completed downloads on her phone, at least temporarily.

Anyway, that sounds like a design flaw with regard to Emby. I can say for certain that ES File Explorer for Android, and Plex for Android---just for two examples---don't generate individual download notifications for each and every file. Perhaps they don't use the native download manager? But in any case, creating separate notifications for each file is a problem and I'm pretty sure making the user block them is not the only potential choice. If I want to sync a whole music genre on my server to her phone, then that should be a thing I can do without making her phone lock up intermittently while it generates notifications for two days straight.

Edited by chyron8472, 15 May 2019 - 12:21 PM.

• denz likes this

#5 chef OFFLINE  

chef

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 3695 posts
  • LocationPeterborough, Canada

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:54 PM

I don't understand your reaction. Are you saying that's a surprising number of notifications, or a surprising number of downloads? Because I assure you, since sd card storage space is on the cheap, and synced files use no mobile data, it makes sense to sync many most much lots of music to one's phone. Especially if one listens to music a lot, which my wife does.

Sorry, I was just picturing the phone notifications alerting you constantly and I could see that becoming an issue.

#6 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 127006 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:05 AM

Building our own download manager is something we may consider in the future. thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users