Offline downloading progress bar?

e2zippo

e2zippo

Hello! Just purchased a month of Emby Premiere since i want to be able to sync media offline for car travel and such.

But I find the feature to be unreliable. First, there is not progress bar whatsoever, I have no idea to see how much of the movie has been downloaded, and that was when i chose "Original" quality.

When I tried 8 and 12mbit the movie has to convert, and there's not inidication in the Android App as to how far that progress is along. This progress can however be seen in the Server Dashboard, but it seems painfully slow. I tried to sync Transformers - Dark Side Of The Moon. 

Video
Title1080p H264
CodecH264
AVCYes
ProfileHigh
Level41
Resolution1920x800
Aspect ratio2.40:1
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.976
Bitrate20,804 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames1
NAL4

I picked 8mbit and after about 4-5 hours, it was 2,5% complete.

Am I missing something here?

There should at least be a progress bar in the app so you can see how far along the sync process is. 

Cheers!

e2zippo

Nope you’ve summed up the state of affairs pretty nicely there!

Well Ok, not the answer I was hoping for :)

Any plans to improve this process, it's quite bad as it is now. 

I tried syncing one movie offline for about 24 hours, still said downloading and no indication as to whether it failed or got stuck, nothing.

My main reason for getting Emby premiere is for offline syncing so I really hope this improves.

Cheers!

Spaceboy

Well Ok, not the answer I was hoping for :)

Any plans to improve this process, it's quite bad as it is now.

I tried syncing one movie offline for about 24 hours, still said downloading and no indication as to whether it failed or got stuck, nothing.

My main reason for getting Emby premiere is for offline syncing so I really hope this improves.

Cheers!

i had success with single episodes but when I tried movies or whole series I see the same as what you report.

100% agree the information on what is happening is way short of what the user wants.

• Like 1

Actually on Android we use the system download manager and you can see the download progress using the system notification for the download.

So yes, it is already there, but I agree that it should also be added in-app. Thanks.

e2zippo

Actually on Android we use the system download manager and you can see the download progress using the system notification for the download.

So yes, it is already there, but I agree that it should also be added in-app. Thanks.

Sure, but that doesn't work, it only shows up a split second before the download starts never to be seen again.

Both devices that I tried on had Android 9 Pie if that helps.

That's not normal. That means the download is either failing, or completing really quickly, or the notification is being dismissed and hidden. I do not see this on any of my test devices.

e2zippo

That's not normal. That means the download is either failing, or completing really quickly, or the notification is being dismissed and hidden. I do not see this on any of my test devices.

I just tried on my Samsung Galaxy S10, and the download notification just shows a split second, the disappears. But the download did finish. Same on a Huawei Mediapad M5. How can I help troubleshoot it?

I've never seen that before but I'll see if I can reproduce it. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
e2zippo

I'll give it a go and check.

Thanks! 

Edit: Tried downloading on my Samsung S10 now and it looks good, the progress bar is visible at all times. Would've been nice with a percentage in the app as well, but I'm happy right now,  thanks Luke!

Thanks for the feedback, and yes i agree we need the percentage in-app as well. Thanks.

• 6 months later...

Andriod emby 3.0 87

Has this been fixed? I've tried to download a movie on 4 different devices and i don't see any progress. The download button changes to blue but that's it. 24 hours later and it still says 'downloading', no percentage, no progress notification.

I gave up and used Netflix for our road trip but would really like this to work as plex fails here too and I'm trialling emby for a month to try and replace my plex subscription.

Edited by jxb1234

@@jxb1234 we don't yet have any in-app progress but when the download occurs you'll get a notification on the device with a progress bar as well as pause button.

I've checked that notifications are enabled, and they are. Permissions are allowed also.

I've just tried to download "original" quality, and this time there is a notification that says "Downloading 1 Item" and a progress bar that is progressing (currently about 10%).

There is also an entry in "My Downloads -> Manage" which states "transferring 0%", which doesn't match the percentage of the android notification.

Once this has downloaded, i'll try again, this time selecting 12 mbps as the conversion rate and report back...

• Like 1

I've just started the conversion, it shows up in "my downloads -> manage" with a percentage. No notification when converting. Maybe that's what I was missing.

Edited by jxb1234

Check out the transcoding settings in the server dashboard.

You can:

- Maximize Thread count

- use higher crf

- use another preset

All these should speed up conversions/transcodes.

Edited by neik