Problem opening in external player

rblu19

rblu19
Alright, here's my issue: When I go to play a file from the nas that would open in an external player, specifically PowerDVD (in my case either a 3D mkv or an iso, everything else uses the emby theater internal player and plays with no problems), the file opens to a black screen and stays there until I manually close out PowerDVD from the task manager. Now, if I use Qfinder Pro and map the nas to a drive letter, I can manually open the file in PowerDVD from windows explorer, and it works perfectly.

When videos that are stored on the same desktop as the copy of Powerdvd (though a different emby server install, the windows one is stored on the same machine as the videos) are played, they work perfectly (from the same emby theater install, I should probably mention, so it's going off of the same external player setup). Moving files back and forth confirms that the issue is dependent on machine, not file.

So the issue seems to be getting the files linked to the library in a form that PowerDVD can acknowledge and use. What can I do to setup my nas files in a way that can be scanned into the library, and then opened to PowerDVD from there?

Program versions, for reference:
PowerDVD 19 (tried it on 18 also, same result)
Emby Server Qnap version 4.1.1.0
Emby Server Windows version 4.1.1.0
Emby Theater version 3.0.8

Attached file is a log I captured from a test I ran to illustrate the problem. I opened theater, started to play a movie, powerdvd opened, black screen, killed powerdvd, exited out of theater. Debug logging was not on, for whatever difference that makes. I can turn that on next test, if need be.

Hi there, this sounds to me like you need to configure the command line arguments in external player setup. Have you done that?

rblu19

Hi there, this sounds to me like you need to configure the command line arguments in external player setup. Have you done that?

I assume your talking about the box at the bottom, {path}, and that kind of text? I have the {path} one input, nothing else as of yet. What else should I put, or is that dependent on some other factor of my setup?

What else should I put,

I don't know :) I'm saying that nicely because this is specific to Power DVD. You will need to research the command line arguments that it supports, and then configure them based on what you're trying to do.

Just from googling, I found this:

https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/49303.page

rblu19

But it works fine if I'm playing files stored on the computer that PowerDVD is installed on, it's only if I'm playing files from the server that I'm having the problem. Since those files work fine if I'm playing them through Emby Theater (well, obviously isos don't play at all and the 3D only if I switch it to 2D), I'm not entirely sure what command lines would work, research or no. Since it seems to play fine as long as it's not from the nas, it seems more of a nas issue (granted, not necessarily an emby server issue, but I figured I'd have better luck finding someone who's dealt with my specific problem or something close enough than if I went to the qnap forums).

A point that may be of interest - fiddling around with managing the library, seeing if that might help, I tried using the machine name for the first time. entering that into the add folder bar let me see the next folders down, but clicking one blanked out the entire line (e.g. typing \\Server leading to the screen where you can select \\Server\Media, or \\Server\Documents, etc), but selecting any of the options erases the text already input. So for all I know, given that, it may be a permission issue with the nas, I just have no idea how to change that.

The server also does say that it's direct playing the content while that content doesn't show up, for whatever that's worth.

Then it sounds like there's no direct access to the network path. Why not just simplify and use the internal player?

rblu19

Then it sounds like there's no direct access to the network path. Why not just simplify and use the internal player?

I mentioned that in the first post (likely confusingly, in retrospect). The only things I would use the external for are for playing 3D (specifically mvc) mkvs in 3D, and for playing isos (mainly the iso is if there’s extras that don’t rip - pip and that sort of thing. Basically, anything I can do in the internal player I do, this problem is about the things I can’t.

How would one go about getting direct access, if that’s possible?

• 6 months later...
angryblue

Alright, got it working. Not entirely sure how, but I did. Feel free to close the topic.

Hi, bro, glad you got it working, I have the same issue, how did you do it?