Call emby media player from Kodi

fr0z3n

fr0z3n

Hi,

Recently bought an android tv box (vodafone tv).

Emby for android tv can passthrough DTS/DD 5.1 to my receiver.

I have tried every other app (kodi, mrmc, vlc), and multiple versions of these apps, and not one can output DTS 5.1 (DD 5.1 is hit and miss).

The in built emby media player is the only non-netflix media player that can bitstream DTS 5.1 on this device.

So kudos to emby for doing some magic that others have not done!

Question: I much prefer the general UI of Kodi over Emby. Is there anyway to use Kodi as the interface to browse for content (with the emby for kodi plugin), but use Emby as the external media player - so when i play something in Kodi it plays using the stock Emby media player? And then when i back out of the video, it goes back to the Kodi interface?

I know kodi supports external media players, but don't know how to set it up to call the emby media player (or if it's even possible)

https://kodi.wiki/view/External_players

Thanks.

Edited by fr0z3n

hstamas

I use Kodi on my Nvidia Shield and it passes DTS no problem. Are you sure you have Kodi configured correctly? I find it hard to believe that the Emby app can pass DTS but Kodi cant.

• Like 1

Hi.  No, there is currently no way to use our app as an external player for Kodi.

Thanks.

fr0z3n

I use Kodi on my Nvidia Shield and it passes DTS no problem. Are you sure you have Kodi configured correctly? I find it hard to believe that the Emby app can pass DTS but Kodi cant.

Yes dts works in nvidia shield but for other, cheaper android TV boxes such as the one I'm using, it does not work unfortunately

fr0z3n

Update: I got dts and Dolby working in kodi by installing the "shitty" build, that uses the "PCM hack" on cheaper Android devices that don't support the proper API used by Android to passthrough.

I assume Emby for Android is using this same PCM hack behind the scenes, emby is able to passthrough DTS on my device.

Is emby for Android using this same PCM hack passthrough technique that Kodi dropped in Krypton?

Thanks.

Is emby for Android using this same PCM hack passthrough technique that Kodi dropped in Krypton?

No, we are using the standard Android and device support.