MiBox ATV Emby native playback fails to play Atmos/TrueHD, External to Kodi works

LjMcSeeYouInHell

LjMcSeeYouInHell

Hi Guys

Long time user but new to the AndroidTV App, have always used Emby for Kodi but since becoming a supporter have switched to the native app and am enjoying the experience apart from one gripe. If I try to play a movie with Atmos/TrueHD it will transcode the audio to AC3, however, if I switch to using an External Player via App options and play the movie via Kodi it plays as expected with full Atmos/TrueHD sound. Kodi doesn't switch back to Emby cleanly after stopping playback though so it's not a solution I can continue to use... Any ideas why the Mibox will not pass the Atmos track through native app playback?

Xiaomi Mi Box 3 MDZ-16-AB > Onkyo TX-NR545 > Crappy 1080p TV

Have attached Server log and transcode log. Played movie first using the internal player, then stopped and switched -inside Emby app- to External Player (Kodi) and started playback again.

Hoping I can get this working, let me know if you need any more info

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-remux-7ac4bbd3-693c-4a20-b990-e917a6ac56d5_1.txt

LjMcSeeYouInHell
Video
Title1080p H264
CodecH264
AVCYes
ProfileHigh
Level41
Resolution1920x1080
Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.976
Bitrate34,767 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames1
NAL4

Audio
TitleEnglish TRUEHD 7.1 (Default)
LanguageEnglish
CodecTRUEHD
Layout7.1
Channels8 ch
Sample rate48,000 Hz
Bit depth24 bit
DefaultYes

Audio
TitleEnglish Dolby Digital 5.1
LanguageEnglish
CodecAC3
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate640 kbps
Sample rate48,000 Hz
DefaultNo

Subtitle
TitleEnglish (Default PGSSUB)
LanguageEnglish
CodecPGSSUB
DefaultYes
ForcedNo
ExternalNo

Container mkv
Edited by LjMcSeeYouInHell

Hi. It isn't the Atmos but, rather, the fact it is TrueHD.  The Mi does not support that (nor DTS-HD).

LjMcSeeYouInHell

I'm not looking to have the Mibox decode it rather pass it through for receiver to decode.

So internal player can't do audio stream passthrough like Kodi can on the same device, is that what you mean?

LjMcSeeYouInHell

Hi ebr,

I did some further checking on some DTS;HD:MA files and you are right they Direct-play with no sound and video skipping, can fix this by using playback Correction tool and sending direct stream re-encoded to DD5.1 - but what I don't understand is why these all play flawlessly when setting Kodi as an External player? If it was a hardware issue wouldn't that cause a failure in Kodi too? Thanks for your input on this...

The device has to have support for Passthru as well.

Kodi is a different animal as it is not really an Android app.  It is written at a lower level than the Android OS and also includes a ton of built-in decoding capabilities itself (read as: ffmpeg).  With our app, we are working within the constraints of the Android system and also some licensing restrictions.

The only device I'm aware of that will support all of these audio types with direct play and passthru is the Shield.