UnRaid Config updates (Coffee Lake)(GPU Transcoding)

Jdiesel

Jdiesel

I ended up purchasing a Intel i7-8700 build from a friend who was upgrading. Setting up HW transcoding using my UHD 630 iGPU was quite simple on unRaid and seems to work very well from my initial testing. As I had to do some googling to get everything setup I figured I'd outline the steps I took should anyone else stumble across this post and have trouble getting their Intel Coffee Lake CPUs setup on unRaid 6.6.7. I understand some of these steps might not be required once unRaid updates their linux kernel but until then this works.

Step 1:

Make sure your iGPU is enabled in your motherboard bios. I also have a external GPU attached to my motherboard so I needed to enable "Multi-Display" on my MSI board.

Step 2: 

You will need to edit the "GO" file and "syslinux.cfg" to enable i915. The easiest way to do this is with the "CA Config Editor" plugin in unRaid. Make the changes as shown below.

Go File

#!/bin/bash

# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

#Setup drivers for hardware transcoding in Emby
modprobe i915
chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

syslinux.cfg

default menu.c32
menu title Lime Technology, Inc.
prompt 0
timeout 50
label unRAID OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot i915.alpha_support=1
label unRAID OS GUI Mode
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot,/bzroot-gui
label unRAID OS Safe Mode (no plugins, no GUI)
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot unraidsafemode
label unRAID OS GUI Safe Mode (no plugins)
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot,/bzroot-gui unraidsafemode
label Memtest86+
  kernel /memtest

Step 3:

Under your Emby container config add a new device by clicking on the "Add another Path, Port, Variable, Lable or Device"

Config Type: Device
Name: /dev/dri
Value: /dev/dri
Description: Intel iGPU Passthrough 

Step 4:

Reboot your server and start up your Emby container.

Edited by Jdiesel
  • Like 2

Thanks, that's great information!

@@Luke - maybe we could move it to some place where it can be found more easily?

Happy2Play

Split out of previous topic, not sure where this information should go or if the title needs adjusted.

BAlGaInTl

This is awesome.

I just switched to unRaid, and I'm really liking it.  I'm bookmarking this for when I ultimately attempt hardware encoding/decoding.

Are you also using the external card for hardware encoding?

Jdiesel

This is awesome.

I just switched to unRaid, and I'm really liking it.  I'm bookmarking this for when I ultimately attempt hardware encoding/decoding.

Are you also using the external card for hardware encoding?

No, I am actually passing it through to a Windows VM to use as my primary workstation as well as run a Nvidia Gamestream server to stream games to my Nvidia Shield TVs. 

BAlGaInTl

No, I am actually passing it through to a Windows VM to use as my primary workstation as well as run a Nvidia Gamestream server to stream games to my Nvidia Shield TVs. 

I haven't explored VMs yet.  I should really do that.

mrfragger

I’m planning to go the unraid route soon. Thanks for this info. Not sure if unraid has its own forum here or not like all the NAS vendors do. Love the flexibility of unraid. I’m still unsure of exactly what hardware cuz if budget allows it might go ssd or m.2 or whatever. But definitely want hardware accelerated transcoding in handbrake and/or Emby if they get x265 convert feature.

mgworek

I haven't explored VMs yet.  I should really do that.

I started with emby as a docker but moved it to a ubuntu VM. I am still older AMD hardware. My plan is to upgrade to intel at some point so I can pass a graphics card to it.

BAlGaInTl

I started with emby as a docker but moved it to a ubuntu VM. I am still older AMD hardware. My plan is to upgrade to intel at some point so I can pass a graphics card to it.

What's the advantage of moving Emby to a VM over the Docker?

So far, my path has been

OMV - Plex Plugin

OMV - Emby Plugin (This had issues)

OMV - Emby Docker

unRaid - Emby Docker