Emby for IOS Transcoding & Sync

Greggers

Greggers

Hello, 

I have read here that emby for IOS now supports direct play MKV, this is a great update, my AppleTV as of today is getting more use than ever! 

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/iOS

I was thinking of getting a tablet and SurfaceGo was going to be my choice but after seeing this, iPad Mini is looking good. 

Just wondering, if the server does end up transcoding due to something like poor network speed, will it to MKV > MKV (lower bitrate) or something like MKV > MP4 which I imagine will have a higher tax on resources.

Also, I will rely heavily on offline sync, will it be able to sync MKV or will it need to transcode these first to something else? 

Sorry I would test myself but I don't have any IOS devices yet, Windows works well but SurfaceGo battery life is apparently pretty poor and Windows as a tablet in general isn't the best. 

Thanks in advance! :) 

If the download feature has to convert then it will use mkv.

amanikas

I have an ipad on IOS10.  I don't want to upgrade it to IOS11+ because I would lose the ability to run my 32 bit games.

Will there be an IOS10 version of Emby that allows downloading?

Thanks

At this point I don't think we will be building it for iOS 10 as it would require separate development it.