4.1.1.0 Playback Errors - FreeNAS 11.2

MRobi

MRobi

Been getting a large number of "Playback Errors" since upgrading to 4.1.1.0. My personal observation is that it seems the playback errors only happen on files that have been added to the server since the 4.1.1.0 update. I completed the update on Sunday and cannot play any files that have been added to the server since then. If the file was on the server prior to the update, it plays with no issues. I also notice the large majority of these newly added files (around 90%) have no chapter images extracted.

Log attached. This was after a fresh reboot. Attempted to play The Flash S05E21. Tried both through the shield and through the web app. File plays fine on my laptop and also through Plex. 

Log.txt

MRobi

How did you install?

This was an upgrade from 4.0.2.0 (I believe, whatever the last stable version that supported FreeBSD 11 before things moved to 12). Used the same process I always use

service emby-server stop

pkg update

pkg upgrade

pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.1.1.0/emby-server-freebsd11_4.1.1.0_amd64.txz

service emby-server start

Edited by MRobi

MRobi

Ok, the website will be updated with updated freenas install instructions in the next day or so:

https://emby.media/download.html

Thanks.

Over the past few days I tried numerous scenarios. I upgraded from 4.0.2.0 to stable 4.1.1.0. Upgraded to beta 4.2.0.5. Tried using quarterly package and latest package. Every time it presented the same error where new files added would not play. Installing 4.0.2.0 over the upgraded version would result in the same issue with 4.0.2.0. 

Ultimately I rolled that jail back to a snapshot with 4.0.2.0 and everything worked. I keep my config and database on a separate dataset outside of the jail so these weren't touched by the rollback and the files in the database that weren't playing on 4.1.1.0 played fine on 4.0.2.0 without even running a library update.

I then created a new jail with 4.1.1.0 as a fresh install and new jail with 4.2.0.5 with fresh install. When I tried to reload all settings from 4.0.2.0 with the backup plugin, it would crash emby and I would have to delete the config directory to recover. So I setup all the settings manually, setup all the libraries again and used trakt to import the watched states. Now I have 3 fully functioning versions of Emby running.

The issue seems to only occur when upgrading.

On a side note, having to use Plex for the 2 or 3 days of doing all this screwing around really brings a renewed appreciation to the usability and customization options presented by Emby. The interface on Plex just feels old and clunky.

• Like 1

MRobi

That process creates a new jail, that will not work to upgrade. I'm seeing no issues when creating a new jail with a fresh install, only when upgrading from 4.0.2.0.

This process is simply a script to simplify a new setup down into a few lines. I'm comfortable doing the process manually which worked for a new install. I do notice this process attempts to add a package for a file that doesn't exist. 

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.2.0.1/emby-server-freebsd11_4.2.0.1_amd64.txz  

I'm assuming a type-o? @@makarai

• Like 1

makarai

That process creates a new jail, that will not work to upgrade. I'm seeing no issues when creating a new jail with a fresh install, only when upgrading from 4.0.2.0.

This process is simply a script to simplify a new setup down into a few lines. I'm comfortable doing the process manually which worked for a new install. I do notice this process attempts to add a package for a file that doesn't exist. 

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.2.0.1/emby-server-freebsd11_4.2.0.1_amd64.txz  

actually it was not a typo but instead luke took the emby server files offline i guess in the last 10 days or so, dont ask me why :D

I fixed the script and checked if 4.1.10 is actually working and it does with my 20 different test files.

Edited by makarai

makarai

to upgrade you can follow my old post

Make sure you are on > freenas 11.2 u2

That your jail runs the quarterly packes

depending on what version you are coming from you might need to install imagemagick6 with 

pkg install graphics/ImageMagick6

and then upgrade, log into the jail shell: 

iocage console emby-server
service emby-server stop
pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.2.0.5/emby-server-freebsd11_4.2.0.5_amd64.txz

MRobi

to upgrade you can follow my old post

Make sure you are on > freenas 11.2 u2

That your jail runs the quarterly packes

depending on what version you are coming from you might need to install imagemagick6 with 

pkg install graphics/ImageMagick6

and then upgrade, log into the jail shell: 

iocage console emby-server
service emby-server stop
pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.2.0.5/emby-server-freebsd11_4.2.0.5_amd64.txz

I am on 11.2 U2 and that's exactly what I did (with a pkg update/upgrade as well) and results in the same issue every time. New files are added but result in a playback error. 

"libsmbclient.so.0" not found, required by "libavformat.so.58". The error has something to do with the package interacting with libx264. There's at least 2 other users who've posted this week with the same error coming up.

I initially had quarterly packages setup, but switched to latest based on @@Luke 's post here https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/68032-update-to-4002-on-freenas/page-4&do=findComment&comment=735902 Doesn't make any difference in the error.

I have no idea why a new install using libx264 would work but the upgrade causes an issue. There really should be no difference at all.   

• Like 1

makarai

have you tried just installing a new jail and porting over your settings? to see if its just a wonky jailsetup? 

MRobi

have you tried just installing a new jail and porting over your settings? to see if its just a wonky jailsetup? 

No, I did not try porting over my config folder as I wanted to be sure it built a new database. So I tried using the restore plugin to just restore the settings and it would crash the jail, emby would no longer boot. Only way to recover was to delete the config folder which brought it back to the startup wizard.

makarai

No, I did not try porting over my config folder as I wanted to be sure it built a new database. So I tried using the restore plugin to just restore the settings and it would crash the jail, emby would no longer boot. Only way to recover was to delete the config folder which brought it back to the startup wizard.

I can write a detail explanation how to clone everything, if you like

MRobi

I can write a detail explanation how to clone everything, if you like

I cloned the jail many times during the process of trying different upgrade paths to different versions and with different package settings. It's better to clone from a snapshot than to do a true roll back

Edited by MRobi

• 2 weeks later...
Kent

I'm in the same boat as MRobi.  At this point, what is advisable?  Do i start from scratch and copy the config over to a new jail?

Makarai can you outline steps on best course of action to upgrade to latest from 4.0.2.0 with maintaining watch status and configuration settings (if possible)?

Thanks!

MRobi

I'm in the same boat as MRobi. At this point, what is advisable? Do i start from scratch and copy the config over to a new jail?

Makarai can you outline steps on best course of action to upgrade to latest from 4.0.2.0 with maintaining watch status and configuration settings (if possible)?

Thanks!

I had to create a new jail and install from scratch. There was no combination of upgrade paths that I could make work without this error. When installing from scratch it worked flawlessly.

Sent from my LYA-L0C using Tapatalk

makarai

I'm in the same boat as MRobi.  At this point, what is advisable?  Do i start from scratch and copy the config over to a new jail?

Thanks!

So i am running one of the more recent betas which runs flawless for me. (4.2.0.5) which has been taken offline from @@Luke for whatever reason.

I tested the 4.1.1.0 also extensivly so i would give this a try, further when you upgrade you should always just leave your existing emby installation intakt and create a new emby install first and copy you settings folder over, thats what i do, and i have never lost data and it always worked flawless.

Typically you have to perform the following actions.

1. Install emby

2. mount media

3. Copy over old data (if it does not work at least your old emby ist still working)

Install new version of emby on freenas 11.2u4 using the shell, which is super easy and you cannot really break anything.

1. install latest stable.

cd /tmp
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ma-karai/iocage-plugin-emby/master/emby-server.json
iocage fetch -P dhcp=on vnet=on bpf=yes allow_raw_sockets=1 -n emby-server.json --branch 'master' 

2. mount media (same folder names as before) via the gui

3. copy data with rsync

#example check your folder path for your jail TANK
rsync -vrlpogth /path_to_OLD_jail/root/var/db/emby-server/ /path_to_NEW_jail/root/var/db/emby-server/
rsync -vrlpogth /mnt/TANK/iocage/jails/emby-server-OLD/root/var/db/emby-server/ /mnt/TANK/iocage/jails/emby-server-NEW/root/var/db/emby-server/

4. restart the new emby installation and check if everthing works

As soon there is another great working beta i can write a detailed update

Edited by makarai
  • Like 3

Yes, the latest 4.2.X beta resolves the playback issues of the earlier betas. It also completely removes the libsmb dependency, so that install conflict won't be a problem anymore.

sluggo45

Been having good success myself with 4.2.0.10 on my 11.2U4 FreeNAS system. Earlier issues with the db that were related to mono (we're still on mono since .Net Core hasn't been ported to FreeBSD) have been resolved and overall it works quite well.

MRobi

Been having good success myself with 4.2.0.10 on my 11.2U4 FreeNAS system. Earlier issues with the db that were related to mono (we're still on mono since .Net Core hasn't been ported to FreeBSD) have been resolved and overall it works quite well.

Great news! I'll give this version a go over the weekend

MRobi

Followed my normal upgrade procedure

service emby-server stop

pkg update

pkg upgrade

pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.2.0.10/emby-server-freebsd11_4.2.0.10_amd64.txz

Added a new file to the system. "Daniel Tiger's Neighbourhood S03E30E31"

Tried to play file. Playback error. Switched over to my jail running 4.1.1.0 and it plays fine.

Again it appears that something in the upgrade process causes playback errors which do not present when the installation is done from scratch. But it's not exactly ideal to have to rebuild the entire jail every time a new version comes out.

Log.txt

Edited by MRobi
  • Like 1

MRobi

Scratch the previous post. I switched my pkgs back to quarterly from latest, force re-installed all pkg's, restarted emby-server and refreshed the files for that series and now it will play.