Data Usage

mickg

mickg

I'm finding that there seems to be more data used than expected when streaming.  Example would be listening to music for 30mins @ 96kbps.  After checking the data usage of the app for that 1/2 hour it is at 45-50MB.  I realize that there is some overhead used by the app itself - graphics etc., but that number seems quite high for 30mins of realatively low quality streaming.  Just as an aside would it be possible to add a 160kbps option in the app as well in the future?

Hi there, have you configured the quality settings in the app?

mickg

Yes I have, so when I'm saying @96kbps that is actually the setting in the app, I believe the actual music is at 192kbps.  There is a difference in how much data is used depending on the quality, however I still feel that the usage I am seeing when the app is set to a specific bit rate is rather high for that chosen bit rate.  Just as an example, I was testing the 96kbps setting this morning and it supposedly used 104MB in an hour which is obviously almost twice what it should be.  There was a point that after a network change the app was spinning and as it was doing that it appeared to be cycling through the music in the folder.  It kept loading different song names and then skipping to the next one without playing.  Would this possibly have contributed to the weird data usage?  Was it actually loading the song, but then not able to play it and so it kept loading and skipping using data each time it loaded a song, but then eventually timed out?

I suppose it's possible, but we'd really have to look at a specific example. thanks.

mickg

Further to the increased data usage concern, I again was streaming yesterday at the 128kbps setting on the app.  The data usage after 120 mins was 220MB.  Again seems like double what it should be.