Transcoding issue - Not sure if issue

_jackflack
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

_jackflack

Recently I enabled Hardware acceleration under transcoding. I have a  simple system and I have listed the core stuff below. This is just running server, nothing runs directly off of it over HDMI or anything else.

DX11VA Intel® HD Graphics 4600 (built on, set to 1024MB in bios)

Intel i7-4770s running at 3.10Ghz

16GB DDR3 Ram

Windows 10 PRO

Emby Server for Windows 4.2.0.4 Beta

The hardware transcoding was working a lot better than I anticipated. The server only has at most 5 concurrent users, so hardware acceleration would be my preferred choice.

But here is the issue. I just noticed that video that is stored in a MKV container and the audio is encoded as either DTS or DTS-HD, the audio will not down convert and the movie never begins. On one client that is an Amazon firestick 4k, I made sure pass-thru was not checked since the TV does not do DTS natively. 

If I try the same video using a web browser, I will get no container available and nothing will play.

Everything works perfectly if I software transcode and turn hardware acceleration off. So nothing is broken technically. But...

Should hardware acceleration decoding DTS or DTS-HD work with that Intel Graphics chip and processor?

Thank You.

_jackflack

Hi there, have you stepped through our hardware acceleration setup guide?

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Hardware-Acceleration-Overview

I have, followed all the tips and made sure correct drivers were used.

What I didn't see was how it handled or didn't handle audio codecs contained in the MKV container. Especially DTS. If fact all I really see is video encoding and it works on almost every thing I have, just not converting DTS or DTS-HD to say DD 5.1 or even 2 Channel Stereo.

But Ill keep looking.

• Solution

It would only convert the audio if it's not supported by the device you're playing from. Does that answer your question about why it's transcoding or not transcoding?

• Like 1