46 replies to this topic

#41 VirgilFox OFFLINE  

VirgilFox

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Local time: 03:17 PM
  • LocationMichigan, United States

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:22 PM

It doesn't work like that. It's selected based on the quality chosen. If you were to pick a quality in between, then most likely you'd see the smaller one downloaded.

@Luke: Thanks for the help, I was able to download the alternate version successfully by choosing '4 Mbps' in the Quality pop-up menu.

I'm trying to understand the logic here... Does Emby decide to download the alternate version, because the original video's bitrate is higher than 4Mbps (that I selected in the quality pop-up), so it selects the alternate file with its lower bitrate (around 1.6Mbps on average)?

#42 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 140131 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 12:14 PM

It's the same concept as playback, and the way it chooses the most efficient version based on the quality setting.

#43 red_ OFFLINE  

red_

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Local time: 10:17 PM

Posted 23 October 2019 - 09:46 AM

I have to agree with the OP on this one. I don't use versions for different qualities/codecs, I use it for different versions of the movie - i.e. theatrical, directors cut, final cut, open matte, Once upon a Deadpool etc... To have all these in collections would make a mess of my collections as all my collections are collections of different movies (e.g. sequels or dvd boxsets or by director), not collections of the different versions of the same movie. So, while I don't use the download feature for movies, it would be nice to be able to choose exactly which version I'd like to download (if I ever do).

This is maybe even the best example I've read so far! Because: in the Emby documentation there's an explanation for using the "Multi-version movies" (https://github.com/M...-version-movies). Here it says that you can use it for different versions (e.g. Director's Cut, Extended Edition) of the movie.

For streaming you just select the desired movie version and press play!

So how will you be able to select the correct version of the movie if you want to download it?

Let say I want to download the Theatrical Cut because my flight is only 2 hours? But I also have the Extended Edition and they both are 5500kbs.

#44 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 140131 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 04:26 PM

Let say I want to download the Theatrical Cut because my flight is only 2 hours? But I also have the Extended Edition and they both are 5500kbs.

So that use case i guess is currently an open issue.

• yarez0 likes this

#45 adamstewiegreen OFFLINE  

adamstewiegreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • Local time: 08:17 AM

Posted 23 October 2019 - 06:18 PM

This is maybe even the best example I've read so far! Because: in the Emby documentation there's an explanation for using the "Multi-version movies" (https://github.com/M...-version-movies). Here it says that you can use it for different versions (e.g. Director's Cut, Extended Edition) of the movie.

For streaming you just select the desired movie version and press play!

So how will you be able to select the correct version of the movie if you want to download it?

Shortly after writing that I caved in and resorted to splitting up all my "versions" into collections.  It's obvious now that versions was developed for codecs and bitrates, not director cuts and edits.  Although it'll work for the latter, things start falling apart (and getting annoying) when it comes to features and functionality (previously discussed above, along with some other things) - ALL of those problems were solved by separating them into collections (my problem with collections was that in the FireTV app it's not always obvious which version was which if the title was long, but that has since been addressed...).  My only quibble is that there should be a note in https://github.com/M...-version-movies about it's limitations when it comes to this type of use.

#46 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 140131 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:00 PM

It's obvious now that versions was developed for codecs and bitrates, not director cuts and edits.  

That is how the multi-version feature began, and it has evolved to become any kind of version you like. But all of the other parts of the system that interact with multi-version videos, not all of them may take both use cases into account just yet.

#47 VirgilFox OFFLINE  

VirgilFox

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationMichigan, United States

Posted 13 November 2019 - 04:01 PM

I am able to download the HEVC-encoded (via HandBrake) alternate version to my Android phone (using the Android app).

One more question on this topic... is it possible to select and sync the HEVC-encoded alternate version to my Google Drive account?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: download, sync, movie version, version, premiere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users